UKC

Moles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 08 Oct 2017
Any top tips for dealing with an irritatingly persistent mole or moles?

So far I've tried:

Loud noises (Even the Chemical Brothers: Brotherhood CD2 didn't put him off)
Stamping around
Flattening his holes and backfilling the tunnels
Really loud noises (Crow scares)
Nasty smells (Chilli oil, caster oil, etc.)
Traps

I'm pretty much out of ideas and I'm left with putting up some signs with unpleasant anti-mole propaganda and starting rumours that a prominent member of IS is hiding in my front garden and waiting for the CIA to sort the problem.

Anyone got any better ideas?

summo 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Reach>Talent:

His holes?

Persist with traps, to do successfully requires a bit of practice.

You can get some traps that use a blank firing shotgun type cartridge.
 SouthernSteve 08 Oct 2017

"There's only one way to kill a mole, blow its *** head off!" Jasper Carrott (a few decades ago)

Growing garlic was tried by a football club a few years ago - don't know if it worked
A mole catcher will get it sorted, but unless its a sports ground or dangerous I would say live with your pest controlling friend.

john arran 08 Oct 2017

We had limited success with solar-powered spikes you stick in the ground that give out a high-pitched noise every couple of minutes or so. Apparently the moles can't sleep so move on, although in reality they seemed happy to move little more than a few metres, and shepherding them in any particular direction was challenging. Eventually they cleared off completely - for now at least - probably of their own accord. I'm told smoking them out is the most effective way but didn't resort to that personally.

Alternatively you could try underfunding the public services to the point where the local fauna resents the immigrant moles and hounds them out of the garden.
OP Reach>Talent 08 Oct 2017
In reply to summo:

Hmm, not sure my wife or the neighbours would take too well to random gunshots in the night. Although it reminded me of the Jasper Carrot sketch on moles.

youtube.com/watch?v=93mgyE2ctwg&
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I was just looking for that clip
In reply to john arran:

We tried those solar powered mole botherers and they seemed to have an effective range of about 2ft, so I'd either need a way of slowly advancing 30 of them across the front lawn or some way of souping them up a bit.
 Jon Greengrass 08 Oct 2017

If you have a cat that is any good at catching mice etc. carefully slice off the top of the mole hills with a spade exposing the tunnel beneath. The cat will soon learn to lie in wait and deal with the moles.
 ian caton 08 Oct 2017
Traps, the only way.

I hate killing but the only good mole is a dead mole.

Buy the pincer type traps not the half tube with lots of wires type.

Set the trap so it doesn't take much to set it off.

Put in the run, probe around a fresh mole hill with a tent peg.

Dig space for trap and clear entrance to passages.

Back fill with soil, not letting very much drop into the hole.

Crucially make it light tight. I put a pot plant pot or bucket over the top.
Post edited at 12:13
 Fozzy 08 Oct 2017

Trapping is the only way. I use a combination of tunnel & Putange (stop sniggering at the back) traps, depending on the depth of the run. Remember to mark where you've left them, and try to check daily.

If in doubt, the 'Moles, Moles and More Moles' group on FB is a wealth of knowledge.
 Dr.S at work 08 Oct 2017

Why are the moles a problem?

I'd let them be.
 BnB 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Why are the moles a problem?

> I'd let them be.

Our lawn is plagued by badgers and, if you could see the havoc a bit of wildlife can wreak on your lawn, you'd understand. Living near Lancashire, people ask if we've started fracking.

I love seeing deer, badgers, foxes, pheasant and owls from my kitchen window and, to date, I've resisted deterring them. But the time will come if the vandalism accelerates.

Because 50+ 1ft diameter mounds of soil in an area smaller than a tennis court is making mowing the lawn a nightmare.
 nufkin 08 Oct 2017

Leaf blower?:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=672279

> 50+ 1ft diameter mounds of soil in an area smaller than a tennis court is making mowing the lawn a nightmare

Or maybe a scythe (per the same thread)
Moley 08 Oct 2017

We laugh at your pathetic efforts, my whole family are arriving next week ............was a nice lawn.
 hokkyokusei 08 Oct 2017

Rodenator.

http://rodenator.eu
 Dr.S at work 08 Oct 2017
In reply to BnB:
Its not vandalism though is it?

Just frequently take the hills out, let's you get a nice smooth lawn surface.
Moley 08 Oct 2017
In reply to BnB:

At this time of year the badgers go potty for some white grubs ( chafer grubs I think) just under the turf, they must taste great and be full of nutrition because once the badgers sniff them your lawn is doomed. Can look like a herd of wild boar have been in as the roll up the turf.
 BnB 08 Oct 2017

> Its not vandalism though is it?

> Just frequently take the hills out, let's you get a nice smooth lawn surface.

You've obviously not seen what a badger does to your lawn. We're talking multiple craters, one of them 6ft wide. This is Yorkshire
 Dr.S at work 08 Oct 2017
In reply to BnB:

Ah, sorry missed the badger bit, best bet there just to Badger proof the garden.
 ian caton 08 Oct 2017

Because they destroy vegetables and raspberries. One is ok, nice little mole, then there are two, then they have baby moles. Then it's madness.
 Bulls Crack 08 Oct 2017
In reply to BnB:

Owls are vandalising your lawn? :-o
 BnB 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Owls are vandalising your lawn? :-o

Well they're not eating the vermin so they might as well be
 Monk 08 Oct 2017

Can you get a car to your lawn? my uncle used to dig up one Hill, fix a tube to the exhaust and the other down the hole and gas them out. I never thought it was very nice but it was effective.
 FactorXXX 08 Oct 2017
In reply to ian caton:

Because they destroy vegetables and raspberries. One is ok, nice little mole, then there are two, then they have baby moles. Then it's madness.

I know what you mean!
Moonstomping through your garden and destroying your veg and raspberries. It's a total embarrassment!
 ian caton 08 Oct 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

I assume irony is intended.

Do you not eat? Either you grow your own veg and kill your own moles. Or someone else grows it and someone else kills the moles for you.
 FactorXXX 08 Oct 2017
In reply to ian caton:

I assume irony is intended.

It's one step beyond that.
In reply to FactorXXX:

Moleskin trousers are good, just don't make them tight, make them......
 wayne1965 10 Oct 2017

you need one of these ... go directly to 1 minute onwards
... they work !!
youtube.com/watch?v=JHlARjbTGxs&

btw ... cats can also be a good deterant since they skulk about at night
Moley 10 Oct 2017
In reply to wayne1965:

Bloody hell Nooooooooo..........
 LastBoyScout 10 Oct 2017
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> If you have a cat that is any good at catching mice etc. carefully slice off the top of the mole hills with a spade exposing the tunnel beneath. The cat will soon learn to lie in wait and deal with the moles.

The only mole I've ever actually seen was left dead in our back garden by our cat - no idea where she got it from, as there weren't any mole hills in the garden, so she must have brought it over the fence from somewhere. When we mentioned this to the vet, she said her cats were good at catching moles - they just lay in wait by the mole hills and shoved a paw in when they heard the mole.
 krikoman 10 Oct 2017
In reply to wayne1965:

> you need one of these ... go directly to 1 minute onwards

> ... they work !!

> btw ... cats can also be a good deterant since they skulk about at night

Lovely finger action
ceri 10 Oct 2017
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I was going to suggest a terrier, but you should see the holes mine dog trying to get the moles out...
 Fozzy 10 Oct 2017
In reply to ceri:

My collie digs them out, also leaving craters, but hasn't worked out she needs to kill them afterwards. Sometimes I'm swift enough with the stick, sometimes she has to go dig again!
ceri 10 Oct 2017
In reply to Fozzy:

Working Collies are bred to eye, maybe nip, but not kill. Working Terriers are bred to bite, shake and kill. My dogs will all kill and eat voles and rabbits given half a chance and I rescued a lovely mole from the smallest recently.
 alx 10 Oct 2017

Bit of a long shot but that expanding cavity filling foam seams to go a long way. Couple cans of that stuff should work and the kids will have something interesting to dig up and present at show and tell.
 Dave Garnett 10 Oct 2017
In reply to ian caton:

> Crucially make it light tight. I put a pot plant pot or bucket over the top.

Don't touch the trap with bare hands, moles won't go near it if it smells of human (or soap). Use gardening gloves.

The real trick is to smear the trap with the anal secretions of a dead mole, but first you need to catch one...
 Tom Valentine 11 Oct 2017
In reply to BnB:

Your lawn is a purely cosmetic structure ( as is mine)

The mole is a British mammal going about his business and unfortunately this impinges on your particular landscape.

For my part, that isn't reason enough to want to kill him.

I also accept hedgehogs into my garden.

As for much viified grey squirrel, I don't actually care if he's full of Johnny Foreigner genes or not: he is welcome in my garden too.
 Dave Garnett 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> For my part, that isn't reason enough to want to kill him

I agree, in general, but sometimes it's the only option. Also in the fields if you are cutting for silage.

> I also accept hedgehogs into my garden.

Always welcome, mealworms provided for the purpose. Hares positively encouraged. Rabbits tolerated as long as they stay out of the vegetable garden, voles and mice as long they don't keep me awake or start chewing the wiring. I'm even turning a blind eye to the rats living under the hay bales in the barn as long as they keep a low profile...
Post edited at 01:42
 Big Ger 11 Oct 2017

I can sell you a humane, organic, mole charming kit.
 ian caton 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:
I have had about 17 out of my garden. No need to wash hands.

As for the last bit, that's wierd.
Post edited at 07:35
 Jenny C 11 Oct 2017

Mum has occasional problems with mole hills in her garden. Only ever in the veg garden (the best stocked area for worms) and she gets them for a month or so then no sign for a year.
Not welcome but tolerated guests.
Moley 11 Oct 2017
In reply to ceri:

> My dogs will all kill and eat voles and rabbits given half a chance and I rescued a lovely mole from the smallest recently.

Thank you, that was my little cousin Sarah
 Fozzy 11 Oct 2017
In reply to ceri:

She shreds rats and squirrels when she gets hold of them, but not moles for some reason.
ceri 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Fozzy:

Maybe they taste bad, like shrews.
Moley 11 Oct 2017
In reply to ceri:

> Maybe they taste bad, like shrews.

We taste like chicken - but promise not to tell everyone.
 Toerag 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Moley:

> At this time of year the badgers go potty for some white grubs ( chafer grubs I think) just under the turf, they must taste great and be full of nutrition because once the badgers sniff them your lawn is doomed. Can look like a herd of wild boar have been in as the roll up the turf.

We don't have badgers here (or moles, squirrels, foxes and snakes) but the seagulls and crows also like chafer grubs and also rip up the turf to get them. A couple of hundred gulls soon make mincemeat of a football pitch.
 wayne1965 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Moley:

noooooo ... yesssssss!!
 Tom Valentine 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Since a large proportion of UKC support rewilding and such, including the reforestation of some of our best moorland crags, I have to ask you how much we should be concerned about the damage our birds can do to a football pitch.
 aln 13 Oct 2017

This is a really depressing thread.
Moley 13 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

> This is a really depressing thread.

It bloody well is if you're a mole and everyone thinks you taste like chicken!
 aln 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Moley:

You only have yourself to blame. No-one knew till you confessed...
 Pete Pozman 14 Oct 2017

Flood your lawn. That works for me although I'd rather it didn't flood.
 Tom Valentine 14 Oct 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I am surprised at you, old friend.
 Pete Pozman 14 Oct 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Living in the Vale of York just a few feet above sea level. It just floods; I don't flood it. But I have noticed there are no moles. Nobody would seriously flood their lawn on purpose, believe me.
 Pete Pozman 14 Oct 2017

Just to be clear: Leave 'em alone. Are we that flushed with wildlife in this country?
 cander 14 Oct 2017

If you know a friendly farmer get him to pop some Talunex pellets in the Mole run for you (you need to be trained to use the pellets and applicator).
 Fozzy 14 Oct 2017
In reply to cander:
They've got to be used more than 10m away from any buildings used by people or animals. I'm guessing that excludes the vast majority of gardens as runs extend over vast areas. I'd rather not have anything that toxic around my garden, never mind near my pets, livestock or family.

Just learn to trap, it isn't hard to do once you get to grips with it.
Post edited at 22:43
Moley 14 Oct 2017
In reply to Fozzy:

I think the going rate round here (for farmland) is about £10 per mole trapped, using traps the client only pays for exactly what is killed - seems to work as a good friend is a mole catcher - damn him.
 Fozzy 14 Oct 2017
In reply to Moley:

I trap around 4 or 5 a week, but I do it for myself so no payday unfortunately.
 paul mitchell 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Fozzy:

give their email address to the trolls on here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...