UKC

Dream Theater

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
How have this band avoided my attention all this time?

I recently purchased "Greatest Hit (...And 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs)" and was blown away by some songs, especially "As I Am".

If you don't know them and like great metal, check this out:

youtube.com/watch?v=dx4sh8FXZzA&

Although their ballad type stuff is good, I much prefer their more metal type of songs. So are there any Dream Theater nuts out there who can point me in the direction of some studio albums? (There's loads of them!)
 aln 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

> "Greatest Hit (...And 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs)"

22 Dream Theater songs... Is the album 6 hours long?
 dunc56 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

Shame the singer sounds like a strangled cat. He kills it stone dead.

youtube.com/watch?v=AJW13krRoc4&
 Mooncat 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

Never liked them, they always seem like they're trying to show that they're great musicians. It always sounds like a technical exercise to me.
 james.slater 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

Systematic Chaos and Images and words are my personal favourite DT albums

Forsaken and Pull me under (from each of those albums respectively) are awesome
 edhawk21 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

Symphony X are better
 graeme jackson 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:
I've been a huge fan since 1994's 'Awake' when a fellow bass player turned me on to john Myung. Since then I've seen them loads of times but I've a feeling last April in Glasgow may be my last as (as dunc has pointed out) james labrie's voice is just about shot for live performance. For some reason Myung is almost always inaudible too. On top of that I was pretty disappointed with the last album - The Astonishing - just not enough on there to astonish me. let's hope they keep recording and bring out another great album but avoid touring it
Post edited at 12:12
In reply to dunc56:

WTF was he thinking?

However, the disrepect he is shown is extremely poor form. You may not like his voice, but he can certainly sing. With DT he has contributed more to music than any of those twunts have or ever will.
 Greasy Prusiks 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

Sounds like a speed record attempt at the Beginners Book of Guitar Scales to me but each to their own!
In reply to Mooncat:

Perhaps, but being a "shredder" myself, I love Petrucci's style.
In reply to james.slater:

Cheers James, will check those out. Currently listening to Train of Thought. Pull Me Under is a great track.
In reply to edhawk21:

Never heard of them either, but thanks Ed, I'll check them out.
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Sounds like a speed record attempt at the Beginners Book of Guitar Scales to me but each to their own!

Perhaps you could give me some lessons then?
In reply to graeme jackson:

That kind of vocal effort is bound to take it's toll over the years. Makes you wonder how Geddy Lee can still do it in his sixties, (though obviously not like he could do in the 70's - some may think that's a blessed relief! )
In reply to Hugh Janus:

That American Idol video is fake. Its a p1ss take which someone probably thought was funny because he has a great power metal voice
 Greasy Prusiks 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

I doubt it! Anything faster than surf rock and I get my fingers in a knot.

Don't get me wrong it's very impressive, just not my cup of tea.
In reply to Hugh Janus:

youtube.com/watch?v=-wbB9kbbPGo&

as power prog rock nerd fests go, this clip takes some beating. Great drumming, although for me there is no emotion in the band and it comes across in the crowd as well. Decent shredding at 3.30 but to be honest I would need to be a huge fan and probably stoned to really appreciate this type of performance live.
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Yeah, great stuff. But, surely emotion is subjective. For example, I find Clapton to be a complete yawn fest, a poor whiteman's mimicry of what other greats did way better, way before. But that's just me. Whereas, I find some of Marty Friedman's stuff (ex-Megadeth guitarist) reduces me to tears. Do you find Bach, Chopin or Liszt to be unemotional too? Some of their compositions could be classed as technical exercises. Some find opera to be hugely emotional, but you don't see the audience going nuts at Covent Garden. Personally, opera just makes me want to smash something up! But that's just me.

P.S. Load up the bong!
In reply to edhawk21:

> Symphony X are better

Listening to them now - The Odyssey. Very impressive stuff - some serious shredding! Probably still prefer DT at the moment, but still great stuff. Thanks.
 Durkules 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:
Dream Theater are legends of the genre, and there's a reason they are still going strong after 25+ years and have a huge following worldwide.
Their music certainly isn't to everyone's taste (hence why they're not well known to the mainstream) - but personally I love the long technical instrumentals and LaBrie's vocal style.

The greatest hits will be a decent introduction, but the nature of their music means it's best experienced as full albums (they have several concept albums that have recurring themes and continuity which adds to the experience).

I'd recommend the following for starters:
- Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory (A full-on prog metal concept album, full of varied styles and influences from other artists)
- Train of Thought (Their heaviest album - a prog twist on a more conventional metal sound)
-Images and Words (Their first album with James LaBrie, containing several of their most classic songs)
Post edited at 14:19
In reply to Hugh Janus:

I would say Marty Friedman has a lot more feel than most of these shredders. When he was in Cacophony it was all a bit boring for me, but once he got in Megadeth and threw in some eastern influences and slowed it down it got really really good (helped by some good tunes) I'm sure you are familiar with Tornado of Souls . This is Marty at his peak as far as I'm concerned. There you have a solo which pulls from Gary Moore, Randy Rhoads amongst others and oozes feel, structure and is not just speed for speed sake. (which is why you find so many youtubers playing that solo and struggling to sound the same even though they are playing all the notes)

You mention Chopin and Franz Liszt. This might sound a bit weird, but I often play Liszt at dinner. I have three young children and have found piano concertos calm them down at the dinner table. Un Sospiro gets played mostly as it's my favourite. Not loudly, just in the background so we can all talk. I have some vain hope that this will somehow inject some culture via osmosis into them, but they still request Trolls and look disappointed when the music comes on

Chopins' Nocturne no.2 E flat is another piece that everyone knows, relatively simple, not fast but is notoriously hard to learn and play well, due to the rise and fall of the tempo. Played well it is stunningly beautiful.

But when we come to the distorted shredding guitar , I want them head banging, I want satanic imagery being burnt onto my retinas by lazers and I want the crowd to all be drunk playing air guitar. It doesn't work for me as a static appreciation concert. But that's just me...you are absolutely right...it is all subjective.

Try Liquid Tension Experiment if you haven't heard of them, might be up your street

Man, Tornado of Souls. Possibly the greatest rock song of all time, that solo (I can play bits of it - badly) is up there with the beauty of things like Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano concerto. Broderick pulled it off pretty well at the San Diego gig you can find on YouTube.

If my old man playing the 1812 overture constantly rubbed off on me, I sure your kids will find Chopin and Liszt when they're older and be grateful for the influence.

Will check out Liquid Tension Experiment - thanks.
In reply to Durkules:

Thankks, will check them out, I really like Train of Thoughts.

> Try Liquid Tension Experiment if you haven't heard of them, might be up your street

Just. . . . WOW!
 HansStuttgart 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

Metropolis 2

Octavarium

And liquid tension...
 james.slater 11 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

Do you know of Nevermore?

Bit different to Dream Theater, not as proggy, but jammed full of riffs and solos. Jeff Loomis (guitarist) always inspired me when I was learning years ago.

And one of my personal favourite bands of all time, Between the Buried and me are excellent if you like some of the proggiest and heaviest metal around Contains very screamy vocals in case thats not your thing!

For pure technical wizardry, Animals as Leaders are hard to beat. Tosin is a shredding god
In reply to HansStuttgart:

Cheers Hnas, will check out Octavarium as I believe it came out after "Greatest Hit…"

Just listening to LTE now (thanks to Bjantur), mind blowing stuff.
Cheers. So much stuff to check out. For a bit of shredder myself, it would seem I am so uneducated. Thought it pretty much well stopped at Megadeth and Pantera!
Post edited at 16:55
In reply to HansStuttgart:
My mistake, Octavarian was 2005, Greatest Hit was 2008.
Post edited at 16:54

Just listening to Animals As Leaders now.

Another WOW!
In reply to Hugh Janus:

All these great introductions that people are giving me (thanks) are confirming my suspicions that Yngwie is in fact just a tosser!
Just listening to On Impulse by AAL, I came up with something a bit like the tapping riff when I was about 20 (a long time ago), my band mates just said "Weird!"

Bollocks! I could be have been rich!

Edit: I was completely off my head at the time, but it still had structure. Can't remember any of it now.
Post edited at 17:43

Just listened to Animals As Leaders Encore Edition.

WTF?

What genre is that? Fusion Metal? Death Jazz?

Outstanding musicianship.
 pec 11 Oct 2017

> Decent shredding at 3.30 but to be honest I would need to be a huge fan and probably stoned to really appreciate this type of performance live. >

Makes me think of something Joe Satriani once said along the lines of "you don't want to sound like you're warming up in front of your audience"

james.slater 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

Glad to be of service! Not sure about the Encore edition, but AAL definitely incorporate a lot of styles.

Surely metal is one of the most diverse genres of music, so much to listen to and enjoy
 dunc56 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

not been mentioned yet - Guthrie Govan - and the Aristocrats. Fretless guitar anyone ?

youtube.com/watch?v=X60TfBEAXUc&

Oh and check this one out - Tony Macalpine (with Jeff Loomis)

youtube.com/watch?v=J6inVxYTalE&
In reply to dunc56:

> not been mentioned yet - Guthrie Govan - and the Aristocrats. Fretless guitar anyone ?

Love it! Metal meets Les Paul (the man) with iphones and rubber chickens thrown in!
 dunc56 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

I forgot this ......

youtube.com/watch?v=oaIzEo013iI&

Just ends all conversations ... Those who play will understand.

> Surely metal is one of the most diverse genres of music, so much to listen to and enjoy

You could be right there. Steve Vai to Status Quo, Slayer to Europe. It's the power of one of the quietest instruments in the world (when unplugged) that can turn in to a raging monster or a singing angel when set free.
In reply to dunc56:

Cool, he missed out a few greats, May, Slash, Friedman but hey, I suspect he could have done it with enough time. Nice that he finished with Jimi though.
 james.slater 12 Oct 2017
In reply to dunc56:

I could watch Tony and Jeff battle all day, some serious talent there, and I hadnt seen it before, thanks!
In reply to Hugh Janus:

As we seem to be on a bit of a guitar theme don't forget that you don't have to be a technical genius to shred like a god.

A lifes dedication to the pentatonic scale and a fuzz wah peddle can get you some serious cult status (myself included)

youtube.com/watch?v=3bklFIanHdk&

youtube.com/watch?v=rYMupc564zE&
 Shani 12 Oct 2017
In reply to dunc56:
> I forgot this ......

> Just ends all conversations ... Those who play will understand.

Bloody heck, Govan nails it there. Knopfler's slap back echo, Malmsteens sweeps, Wylde's drop-tuned, fat vibrato...it is all there. Impressive.
Post edited at 12:35
In reply to Hugh Janus:

a good little video helping with alternate picking (ignoring the enthusiasm of the narrator). I learned the crossroads solos when I was younger, the movie blew me away and at the time I had no idea I was learning Paginini op 1 no 5 of the 24 caprices

youtube.com/watch?v=KgUcG0aw72U&
 Shani 12 Oct 2017

> a good little video helping with alternate picking (ignoring the enthusiasm of the narrator). I learned the crossroads solos when I was younger, the movie blew me away and at the time I had no idea I was learning Paginini op 1 no 5 of the 24 caprices

Is that video made by a coke-head with ADHD in an attempt to flush out epileptics?
 Shani 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Shani:

Dave Sharmer - Spellbinder.

youtube.com/watch?v=_miGSvTRHvg&
 climber34neil 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

How about Gus G ? One of the few people I've heard recently that seems to have the "feel" of the likes of Randy Rhodes although playing for Ozzy may influence that, but even with his band ( who's name escapes me at the moment) seems a very young but accomplished and creative artist
 Blue Straggler 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Janus:

> All these great introductions that people are giving me (thanks) are confirming my suspicions that Yngwie is in fact just a tosser!

You've seen his "how can less be more? MORE is more!" interview, right?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...