/ Crevasse falls made easier

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
ENSA - on 11 Oct 2017
New video tutorial in English from the French national guides' school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgNR-VZMwHo

HammondR on 11 Oct 2017
In reply to ENSA: fantastic and most helpful.

EarlyBird - on 11 Oct 2017
In reply to ENSA:

Great! Merci beaucoup!
pass and peak - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to ENSA:

Thanks a lot guys, I'm now sold on the knots idea, at least for a party of 2 anyway!
cb294 - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pass and peak:

Thanks, gives me ammo when arguing with my rope mates who did a lot of mountaineering in the US, where knots are not normally used.
wayne1965 - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to ENSA:
nicely done ....
just remember the person in the hole, now has to get out of the hole on a rope with knots on it !!!
prusik is not going to work very well
so YOU!! will have to send down the other end of the rope
.... so you'll need to be sure you have enough spare rope BEFORE they fall in!!
just saying
Stefan Jacobsen - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to wayne1965:

Actually, it is not that difficult to prusik up a knotted rope. You can even use the knots for backup when passing them.
Similarly you can use the knots for backup in the hoisting process. It is a bit more complicated process as you need a separate hoist when passing a knot. You can use a 240 cm dyneema sling (low friction) for this.
As you were saying, it might be easier to toss down the other end of the rope...
Snoweider - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to ENSA:

Brilliant thanks.
wayne1965 - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

hoisting is complicated and difficult with a rope without knots ... add knots and you add resistance to the whole hoist system ..... with knots in the rope ... definitely forget any hoisting ....... unless you use the free end of the rope!!

remember the knots and rope will be berried 1m or more! into the edge of the crevasse .... if it has all gone to 'plan'.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.