/ Other channel down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury on 12 Oct 2017
T'other channel has been down for a couple of days now with a Database Error message.

Anyone know what's going on?
TMM on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:

EMP strike conducted by the dastardly James...
Mick Ward - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:

I believe they're waiting for the cavalry to arrive.

Doubtless it'll be back on soon.

Temporary absence... you'll enjoy it all the more!

Mick
remus - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:

The technical chap is away until saturday so hopefully back up when he comes back (from simon lee on facebook).
Ramblin dave - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:

It's not down, it's just resting between send attempts.
john arran - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> It's not down, it's just resting between send attempts.

or checking out a possible sit start.
pasbury on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

Or maybe constructing a nice patio.
Ian W - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:

He hasnt been trying to light barbecue's again?...........
Misha - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:
I've never used it (spend too much time on here as it is). Is there more interesting discussion or just more of the same? Why does it even exist? To my mind, surely it would make sense for all the online climbing chat in the country to be in one place?

Edit - Genuine question!
Post edited at 13:32
25
Hugh Mongous - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:

> To my mind, surely it would make sense for all the online climbing chat in the country to be in one place?

To my mind views like this answers your own question.


1
Will Hunt - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:

It exists to house those who are banned from posting on UKC for having opinions.

There are fewer users, many of whom know each other in life, so it can feel cliquey. The benefit is that the discussion, particularly the climbing related discussion, is of a higher standard. The climbers posting there are generally more mature as climbers if not as human beings. There's less "noise" and armchair opining in the debates, and most posters are dedicated climbers who have been around a while.
7
pasbury on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Will Hunt:

and you can put cat gifs in your posts
stp - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> T'other channel has been down for a couple of days now

For anyone not knowing what t'other channel is, it's ukbouldering.com

Misha - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Will Hunt:
Fair enough. Is it mostly about bouldering though? It would be good if everything could be under one roof for convenience but I suppose people being banned here is a factor (can't be that many of them though!) and perhaps there's a certain sense of cliqueness (is that a word?) or even superiority. Well, doesn't really matter, it's only an online forum..
2
Misha - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Hugh Mongous:
Not sure about that. I'm just saying there's a shop selling cheddar and another shop selling camembert, wouldn't it be convenient if there was only one shop selling both?
1
Will Hunt - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:

The forum and the people who post there are generally involved in all sorts of climbing.
The Fairly Long, Moderately Hard, and Mostly Free thread is inspiring for alpine stuff.
There's loads of sport climbers on there. Most people have climbed trad at some point, even if they prefer other things now.
2
Will Hunt - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:

I don't know why I'm marketing Shark's website for him. It doesn't even bloody work.
Will Hunt - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:

I suspect if you look at UKB once it's back up and running you'll find that it and UKC are as chalk and cheese, as opposed to cheese and cheese.
3
spidermonkey09 - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Will Hunt:

The actual climbing discussion and info on training etc is of a way higher standard than on here. But it is definitely a bit cliquey as someone who rarely posts on there but simply squirrels away information!

The website could do with an overhaul for mine!
keith-ratcliffe on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:
Why did your last sentence bring this to mind I wonder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWDdd5KKhts
A shop that sells neither.
Post edited at 20:42
webbo - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:

> Not sure about that. I'm just saying there's a shop selling cheddar and another shop selling camembert, wouldn't it be convenient if there was only one shop selling both?

Not if one shop is alway banging on about the grade of the cheese and was that an on sight tasting or had someone told you how it might taste.
thebigfriendlymoose - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to pasbury:

My own view, is that UKB encompasses far more expert / serious opinion than UKC (for sport and bouldering at least), but is occassionally even more irreverant. There are a lot of threads on UKB that are runs of puns, obscure 90s hiphop references, and "insider" slaggings of people you will never meet. But, the long-lasting threads are incredible seams of information that have abided for years - training information, book and films reviews, political comment . Some people might find it cliquey but I suspect that is part of its strength - less anonymous folk posting fatuous rubbish (not part of the "Sheffield massive" myself, but I suspect that if acted an arse on UKB, it would have more direct repercussions than anything I might say on UKC).
Fraser on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Will Hunt:

> There are fewer users, many of whom know each other in life, so it can feel cliquey.

I also find the banter much funnier, probably for this very reason.

Misha - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Will Hunt:
Thanks. That's a great forum name!
1
pasbury on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

> But, the long-lasting threads are incredible seams of information that have abided for years - training information, book and films reviews, political comment.

This is one of the major drawbacks of the homegrown forum software on here. Long lasting threads become defining features of really good forums, as you say they endure for years and make an amazing archive of information or a historical record. All my other favourite forums (t'other channel, bikeradar, supertopo, electrical audio for example) have these threads, they have the bracketed list of pages so you can jump to recent stuff or troll through the whole thing.

UKC you are missing a trick here.
Dave Todd - on 12 Oct 2017
In reply to Will Hunt:

> I don't know why I'm marketing Shark's website for him. It doesn't even bloody work.

...because Shark is notoriously bad at marketing...?
slab_happy on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:

> Why does it even exist? To my mind, surely it would make sense for all the online climbing chat in the country to be in one place?

Do you get similarly puzzled by the fact that there's more than one national newspaper in the country, or more than one shop selling groceries? Surely it would make sense for all the news or all the food products to be in one place!

Different places (online and off) have different atmospheres and emphasize different things; different people enjoy forums which focus on somewhat different things or have different cultures. If you think about it that way, it's surely not that surprising that no single climbing forum is going to be all things to all people.
slab_happy on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to webbo:

> Not if one shop is alway banging on about the grade of the cheese and was that an on sight tasting or had someone told you how it might taste.

And the other shop is more focused on whether it's better to taste the cheese in a dank cellar for 7 seconds then rest your mouth for 3 (and repeat), or only taste the cheese three times with very long rests in between (but it has to be a really stinky cheese). And do deadlifts.

(Note: I eat cheese and do deadlifts.)

RockSteady on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

> My own view, is that UKB encompasses far more expert / serious opinion than UKC (for sport and bouldering at least), but is occassionally even more irreverant. There are a lot of threads on UKB that are runs of puns, obscure 90s hiphop references, and "insider" slaggings of people you will never meet. But, the long-lasting threads are incredible seams of information that have abided for years - training information, book and films reviews, political comment . Some people might find it cliquey but I suspect that is part of its strength - less anonymous folk posting fatuous rubbish (not part of the "Sheffield massive" myself, but I suspect that if acted an arse on UKB, it would have more direct repercussions than anything I might say on UKC).

Moose is spot on. In fairness, in my view there is a lot of expertise on UKC as well, but it is often diluted or hard to find amidst less useful contribution. Of course, UKC is excellent for the training diary, logbooks etc which are features UKB doesn't offer. But the forums on UKB are indeed complete goldmines of info and banter, from how to construct an aerocap session to how to construct a lego-based training program.
With respect to 'repercussions', if you get upset by 'dislikes' on UKC, you won't enjoy being 'puntered' on UKB. But at least it's not anonymous and you will get a succinct reason for your puntering. Usually you will have deserved it.
thebigfriendlymoose - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to RockSteady:
Oi! Don't refer to me as "moose" on this channel - I maintain strict "Chinese Walls" between "moose" on UKB and "thebigfriendlymoose" here!

By repercussions, I was more thinking of an in-person puntering, rather than any of the more abstract on-line signifiers of disapproval. I suspect that I bump into more UKB users than UKC when I'm mooching around at the Depot and Malham / Kilnsey, or at least more who can match the face to the nom de plume anyway (although, a few of the fitclub contributers are familiar with me).
Post edited at 15:47
abarro81 - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to slab_happy:

Freakin' deadlifts.
steveriley - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to webbo:

Or why cheese should be made from eggs, not milk. All the cheese at my indoor market is eggy.
Jon Greengrass on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to RockSteady:

> how to construct a lego-based training program.

would they be the most painful holds ever?

Misha - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to RockSteady:
What does getting puntered involve? It might be for me, I'm a total punter when it comes to bouldering... or sport climbing... or...
2
RockSteady on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:

It's exactly the same as a dislike, except the person who's disliked your post has to tell you why they've done it. And it sticks to your profile forever as a +/- karma score. Oh and you can't give positive or negative karma until you've 'established' yourself as a member of the community with a critical mass of posts.

I tend to think the effect of the UKB karma approach is that you get less persistent trolling as trolls are more easily identified by their miasma of negative karma.
FactorXXX - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

would they be the most painful holds ever?

As painful as a three pin plug?
Misha - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to RockSteady:
Wow, never thought internet forums could be so complex.
1
Alex the Alex on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to RockSteady:

I have been puntered there. It was worse than getting a telling off from mum. But I was being a dick. The info and knowledge there is great though.
paul__in_sheffield - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:

> I've never used it (spend too much time on here as it is). Is there more interesting discussion or just more of the same? Why does it even exist? To my mind, surely it would make sense for all the online climbing chat in the country to be in one place?

Misha, the majority of contributors on the other channel actually climb ;-)
Paul
bouldery bits - on 14 Oct 2017
In reply to Misha:

> Not sure about that. I'm just saying there's a shop selling cheddar and another shop selling camembert, wouldn't it be convenient if there was only one shop selling both?

Capitalist pig!

Look at you, trying to murder the high street by stripping it of its life blood - the independent cheese monger. Supporting megasuperhypermarket corp. Lining the fat cats wallets.

Scum.
ukb & bmc shark - on 14 Oct 2017


Back up
1
thebigfriendlymoose - on 14 Oct 2017
In reply to ukb & bmc shark:

> Back up

Strategic error. The longer it remained down, the more its reputation would have been enhanced by misty-eyed remembrance. Another week, and the "shootin' the shit" board would, in absentia, have been elevated to a veritable agora of exalted discourse.
Victoriacake - on 14 Oct 2017
In reply to RockSteady:

Would that mean that this guy 'Will Hunt' is a massive troll as he seems to have loads of negative karma? Or do people just think he's and idiot?
Will Hunt - on 14 Oct 2017
In reply to Victoriacake:

It's no secret. I AM an idiot.
Misha - on 16 Oct 2017
In reply to paul__in_sheffield:

> Misha, the majority of contributors on the other channel actually climb ;-)

> Paul

Controversial, it being a climbing forum...
Misha - on 16 Oct 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:
Come to think of it, I have this idea of a supermarket which would sell milk and bread as well as cheese...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.