/ Cwm Idwal path

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Allanfairfechan - on 13 Oct 2017
Anyone seen the proposed new bridge being built on path leading up to the kitchen ? NOT impressed with the National Trust !!!!
Pedro50 on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Allanfairfechan:

Is it proposed or is it being built?
Simon Caldwell - on 13 Oct 2017
Michael Griffith - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Is it wheelchair friendly?
ripper - on 13 Oct 2017

Not seen it, not aware of it so have no idea what exactly you're objecting to - its design? size? positioning? or its very presence? more info please?
richprideaux - on 13 Oct 2017
In reply to ripper:

It's a pair of stone (mortared) pillars either side of the stream, with apparently a slate slab being brought in to bridge the gap. Most of the work being done by the army (engineers?) with helicopter assistance.

NT say it's to prevent future path erosion - possibly, but it will stand out a bit.

It'll give you a flat bit to stand on to don crampons if we ever get a winter in North Wales again...
baron - on 13 Oct 2017

The National Trust used to have a policy of having a 'granny stopper' on either side of the lake.
That is a section of path that would stop the inexperienced from getting too high into the cwm.
This was around 1990.
Pyreneenemec - on 13 Oct 2017

> Anyone seen the proposed new bridge being built on path leading up to the kitchen ? NOT impressed with the National Trust !!!!

Judging by the mess the Trust have made at The Giant's Causeway, anything is possible.

Take a look at the visitor reports on Tripadvisor for the Causeway Visitor Centre, you might find mine ( I gave it 1 ).
Dave the Rave on 13 Oct 2017

I'll be Devils Advocate in the kitchen.
If it's a bridge across that stream beyond the slabs, fair play. It's a dodgy pitch with young kids when it's icy or wet. If I ever was unable to walk, then it would be nice to be pushed around Llyn Idwal as a memory of being able to get out in the hills.
For the lucky that still could walk, then it's only a mile of endurance of others that can't walk before they can't proceed further and you get to go up the kitchen, whilst they are pushed down and around the tarn/
People take their mobility for granted. Until they don't have it. Enjoy every step.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.