UKC

Biggest bouldering wall in the world?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 snoop6060 15 Oct 2017

Where is it and how big is it?

If rumours are true there will be soon be one in Sheffield that will make the Depot in Manchester look like boulder UK (which is obviously the best in the world) I always assumed the Depot in Manchester must be one of the biggest so surely this would take the crown when it opens. Sounds absolutely mahoosive.
Post edited at 11:00
 robin mueller 15 Oct 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

You mean the old Boulder UK Blackburn, not the new one near Preston?
OP snoop6060 15 Oct 2017
In reply to robin mueller:

Didn't know there was a new one. It as good as the original?
In reply to snoop6060:

I was about to say ‘surely there isn’t demand for yet another wall in Sheff’ but then I considered a typical wet Sunday in the Works/Foundry/AW and decided not to ????
Given experience with AW opening, the Foundry remained buoyant because of the quality of route setting and training facilities. My guess is that this would be the same outcome for the Works, unless of course, Graeme has found a mega-building for relocation?
Paul
 AlanLittle 15 Oct 2017
In reply to snoop6060:
Biggest I've been to in terms of subjective feel would be either Depot Manc or Cafe Kraft.

Depot claims "over 1000" square metres of climbing surface in Manchester; Boulderwelt Regensburg 1300 square metres according to their website but definitely *feels* smaller.
Post edited at 15:18
 Fishmate 15 Oct 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Biggest I could find was 50,000 sq ft. That is huge. Austin Bouldering Project, Texas, US of A.
 robin mueller 15 Oct 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

> Didn't know there was a new one. It as good as the original?

The original closed earlier this year. The new one is different but great. Ace setting and a really good training room. Some pics: https://boulderuk.co.uk

AlanLittle 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Fishmate:

Ah, but that's floor area. Wall area at 23000 sq ft is "only" just over double the Depot in Manchester. Still probably a winner.
OP snoop6060 15 Oct 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:
Twice the size of the depot in Manchester! That is quite some size.
Post edited at 20:32
In reply to snoop6060:

Now I’ve had time to check, word on the street is that Ben is opening The School Room 2. 50,000 square metres of moonboards and woodies. Working title: ‘The only way is wad’. Probably.
 tprebs 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Fishmate:

I have been to Austin Boulder project which at least at the time was the 'biggest bouldering wall in the world'. About a quarter of it is a full blown gym but the bouldering area is still massive.
OP snoop6060 15 Oct 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

It's the Depot. Doesn't sound quite as big as that one in Texas but it will be a fair bit bigger than the one in Manchester if the rumours are true.
In reply to snoop6060:

Any idea where?
 JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 16 Oct 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Word on the mats says Chesterfield or Hillsborough way.
In reply to JamieSparkes:

Off the Parkway, somewhere near Makro.
 GravitySucks 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Does this mean that you will have to trade down to the 87 Margaux from your more usual 59 ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...