UKC

Mushrooms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Calling UKS chefs, I fancy doing something really mushroomy this week.

Whats the recipe to get the biggest mushroom flavour/punch in one meal?
 Philip 15 Oct 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Mushrooms on toast
Mushroom risotto with truffle
 plyometrics 15 Oct 2017

I’m crap at cooking, but I love to stir fry off a mix of mushrooms with butter, onion, garlic, smoked paprika, black pepper, then deglaze with brandy, before adding salt, English mustard and single cream. Not very creative, but tasty.

Eat on its own or pair it with what you like!
 Trangia 15 Oct 2017

Cheddar or Stilton scraped into the cups of horse mushrooms and grilled until it melts.

Yummy!
Ffat Boi 15 Oct 2017

grilled Portobello mushroom piled with pan fried button and chestnut mushrooms, served with a mushroom sauce.

(add extra ingredients to taste e.g onions, garlic, bacon, pear or any other mushroom variant)
Ffat Boi 15 Oct 2017
In reply to plyometrics:

next time try Dijon mustard and double cream and maybe some pancetta
 1234None 15 Oct 2017
Not sure where you live, but it's a good time of year for ceps, and it may be possible to find some in woodland local to you...look under oak or mixed oak/pine, in more damp/mossy areas, away from significant human traffic. If you don't find any then dried ceps/porcini from the supermarket will do. They pack a more tasty punch than many other mushrooms.

Once you've got them, they work well in risottos. If you use dried mushrooms, rehydrate them prior to cooking by soaking in a little hot water, then use this as part of the stock for your risotto. Add in some field/portabello mushrooms if you like.

We also like cep and courgette gratin, but this requires large, fresh ceps. Cut then into slices and layer them with courgette, with a little salt, olive oil and garlic. Add cheese to top, but use something that isn't too strong so as to not wipe out the mushroom flavour.
Post edited at 18:24
 hang_about 15 Oct 2017

Mushroom chickpea and tomato curry last night - delicious
 Pbob 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Add a dollop of butter and some crushed garlic to the Stilton and you've got a classic. Best served with a good Shiraz.
 pavelk 15 Oct 2017

Here in Czech we fry them often (ceps are very good as well as parasol mushrooms and some others) with onion and some other vegetables eventually and we add egs later.
We also like roasted chicken on mushrooms and several kinds of mushroom sauce
 Philip 15 Oct 2017

I forgot perhaps the most mushrooms, mushroom soup. Has to be wild mushrooms.
 krikoman 15 Oct 2017

A slack handful of the magic kind will sort you weekend out nicely.

Baron Weasel 15 Oct 2017

Sounds like you needs some white truffle oil in your life!

https://www.souschef.co.uk/white-truffle-oil.html?origin=product-search&...
 Fozzy 15 Oct 2017

Acquire & dry out. Bring to the boil & simmer in a pan of water, and chuck a teabag in to ease the flavour.

Ingest, get comfy, prepare to lose the next few hours laughing hysterically at everything and being able to taste colours. Result.
Removed User 15 Oct 2017
In reply to Fozzy:

You forgot the bit about ignoring the maggots. And Ribena is the way forward in terms of flavour masking.
 Big Ger 15 Oct 2017

I have a fondness for battered, deep fried, whole button mushrooms.

http://www.amuse-your-bouche.com/beer-battered-mushrooms/
 birdie num num 16 Oct 2017

Gently saute some sliced chestnut mushrooms in salted butter for ten or fifteen minutes until deeply brown, intense and soft. Then scrape them into the bin and make yourself a vesta curry

Whatever mushrooms you use.

50/50 butter/oil. Hot. They need to fry. If water starts coming out of them, the pan isn't hot enough.

Fry mushrooms on one side until brown. Do not muck about with them too much; just leave them alone, unless it's to squash them into the pan a little.

Turn. Fry until brown. Do not muck about with them too much.

That's it.
Post edited at 00:40
 Siward 16 Oct 2017

If you're unable to get decent wild mushrooms, get yourself to a shop and buy some dried porcini (Ceps). Add them to whatever dish you are making and you will get supreme mushroominess.

Thanks for the replies folks. Off to the supermarket I go (alas I know not a place where these wild wonders can be foraged).
 1234None 16 Oct 2017

> Thanks for the replies folks. Off to the supermarket I go (alas I know not a place where these wild wonders can be foraged).

There has to be somewhere around Sherwood Forest - any area of woodland with public access will probably do...
Deadeye 16 Oct 2017

> Whats the recipe to get the biggest mushroom flavour/punch in one meal?

Well, the punch is more in the mushroom than the recipe.

Supermarket white mushrooms are never going to match Ceps or Porcinis.

Picked fresh, these sliced and fried ina litle butter and garlic will beat anything you can buy.

If you don't have access to wild mushrooms then Sainsburys do a cool punnet of oysters, king oysters, shiitake and maiitake. They'll give you a lot more shroom for your buck!
cb294 16 Oct 2017

Here is what I did on Saturday evening with some Porcini and chantarelles I picked while bird watching near the Polish border: The mushrooms were fried in butter with onions and a little smoked ham (not too much, just enough to give a hint of smokey taste). Just before the onions turned brown, I added a pint of dark beer, reduced until almost dry, then added generous amounts of parsley, some pepper, salt, and a teaspoon or so of lemon juice. After taking the pan off the heat, I finally stirred in two cups of sour cream.
Works well with tagliatelle or spaghetti, or as a spread on toasted sourdough bread.

CB
 Pyreneenemec 16 Oct 2017

This year has been quite good for cepes in this part of France. We got the right combination of heavy rainfall and subsequent warmth. The moon is also supposed to play an important role in the chemistry ( old wives' tales perhaps).

You can't beat simply frying the cepes in vegetable oil or duck fat, leaving the caps whole and slicing the stalks( pieds) like crisps. I find the stalks have a stronger, better taste than the caps. Older cepes that have a greeny brown colour underneath the cap are still good to eat, they just need to be sliced like the stalks and fried until crisp, with the addition of diced parsley and garlic.

When available, cepes make any dish with mushrooms better. A couple of weeks ago I made some stuffed courgettes ( the round ones) with rice, pine-nuts and cepes. Gourmet vegi !
In reply to 1234None:
> There has to be somewhere around Sherwood Forest - any area of woodland with public access will probably do...

Im sure you are correct but Im not aware of any and I haven't seen any personally. Hot spots tend to be heavily guarded secrets by the foraging fungucites, don't they!

Edit: some fantastic recipes here, my mouth is watering.
Post edited at 12:27
 Bob Hughes 16 Oct 2017

With Ceps I slice them up lay them out on an oiled oven dish, crack a couple of eggs onto them, a bit of garlic salt and pepper and in the oven for 10 minutes.

Dave the Rave 16 Oct 2017

Sometimes I feel like a mushroom.
I'm kept continually in the dark and fed shit!
 1234None 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

> This year has been quite good for cepes in this part of France. We got the right combination of heavy rainfall and subsequent warmth. The moon is also supposed to play an important role in the chemistry ( old wives' tales perhaps).

Correct - apparently the stuff about the moon is an old wives' tale.

The cepes have just got going over the past few weeks here in the Correze - a little later than normal. We had loads of girolles all summer and more coulemelles than I have ever seen. I like the stuffed courgette recipe - will have to give it a go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...