UKC

Games & activities for children at the wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drolex 16 Oct 2017
I am taking my daughters (3 & 5 yo) to the wall more and more regularly, and more and more of their friends are tagging along, so I am now regularly in charge of a little group of children (varies from 4 to 8) with a very limited attention span.

They are having a lot of fun doing all sorts of shenanigans, but I am trying to find some climbing games to throw in from time to time to get them progressively into climbing. I need belayers in 10 years, so they HAVE to enjoy climbing.

The things we are doing:
- tag, but if you are hanging above the ground you are safe ("chat perché", what's the name in English?)
- every one climbs on green/red/blue... holds
- I put a small toy on a hold and the child has to retrieve it
- traversing because the floor is lava

Anyone has other ideas to keep children entertained? Assume a small bouldering area, free of grown-ups.
 ericinbristol 16 Oct 2017
In reply to drolex:

Blindfolded child on a mat with something small, soft and throwable. Others on the wall as quietly as possible. Blindfolded child throws the item when they hear someone: if they hit, that child comes down off the wall. Winner is the child on last. Used by staff at TCA in Bristol
caver 16 Oct 2017
In reply to drolex:

type 'climbing wall games' into Google.
 trouserburp 16 Oct 2017
In reply to drolex:

Twister?
 Sealwife 16 Oct 2017
In reply to drolex:

>

> - tag, but if you are hanging above the ground you are safe ("chat perché", what's the name in English?)

Chat perche, is "Shark attack" in English.

Further ideas-

Hang items of clothing on holds and get them to put them on as they traverse - this can be easier i.e. big hats, or harder i.e. mitts.

Hold up hula hoops next to the wall as they climb - they have to go through the hoop. You can get holds with holes which fit foam swimming noodles for this purpose.

Hide jigsaw pieces - they have to find and assemble jigsaw

Simon says/Jacque a dit

Musical statues on the wall
 girlymonkey 16 Oct 2017
In reply to drolex:

Climbing wall limbo. Get a stick/ broom handle or similar and put one end against the wall around their head height. They have to traverse under without touching floor or stick. You move it progressively lower where each time a child touches the floor they are out. Fun knock out game and you can even join in.
 alx 16 Oct 2017
In reply to drolex:

Be seen and not heard? That’s a classic
OP drolex 17 Oct 2017
In reply to drolex:

All excellent suggestions, thanks a lot

A link to the climbing games from https://www.climbing.com/skills/training-16-climbing-games , some can be adapted
In reply to caver:

> type 'climbing wall games' into Google.

I see you have played the popular "avoid human interaction at all costs" game before.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...