UKC

The BMC logo ...again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 16 Oct 2017
Not sure if I'm seeing things, but the BMC's Facebook account is sporting a new logo. Not their main website though. Surely this isn't happening again is it?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:

Looks like its just a tweaked version of the current logo to fit facebooks new round profile picture template.
 Monk 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:
Are you seriously suggesting that the BMC need to consult the full membership to change their Facebook and twitter logo designs? Unbelievable.
Post edited at 07:45
 galpinos 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:

Oh No! BMC in "adjusting logo to fit within the Instagram round logo profile without sufficient consultation" shocker! When will it end........
 starbug 17 Oct 2017
In reply to galpinos:

It will be fine Bob only uses parchment he will never see it.
Alex Messenger, BMC 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:
Yep, we've just updated our Facebook icon to fit the new round profile pic format. We updated Twitter and Instagram a few months ago.

The old square format really suited our square logo, but in the new round format it either looked badly cropped or the text was too small.

Cheers!
Post edited at 09:34
 Climber_Bill 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:

Outrageous! There should have been at least a years worth of consultation and meetings, with nice coffee and biscuits of course, and numerous working groups (whatever they are) to decide who decided and.... oh wtf I'm bored now, I'm off climbing!
 ripper 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:

wait till gallam1 hears about this! Is that an MONC I see coming over the horizon?
In reply to Derry:

"The BMC has done something without consulting me personally, to the forums!"
 TMM 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Classic thin end of the wedge stuff for me.
I've noticed a direct correlation with the new rounded logo and climbing being part of the Olympics.
Coincidence? I don't think so.
There was nothing wrong with the old logo which has served us well for decades. Accept this change and you can expect retro bolting on every UK crag and the banning of the UK grading system.
Sad days, sad days.
 danm 17 Oct 2017
In reply to TMM:

Indeed. For as we all know, the kind of man to use a round logo is the type who would shoot a fox.
 Postmanpat 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Climber_Bill:

> Outrageous! There should have been at least a years worth of consultation and meetings, with nice coffee and biscuits of course, and numerous working groups (whatever they are) to decide who decided and.... oh wtf I'm bored now, I'm off climbing!

There should have been an open invitation to all members to submit their designs and then a national vote to choose the most appropriate logo following presentations at all regional meetings and the AGM.
 Lemony 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> There should have been an open invitation to all members to submit their designs and then a national vote to choose the most appropriate logo following presentations at all regional meetings and the AGM.

Perhaps a rebrand to Britainy McClimbFace?
 TMM 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

I'm not comfortable with a vote across the whole membership.
I believe that some of the more established clubs should have a greater say to ensure the preservation of the both spirit and ethos of the BMC.
 Neil Williams 17 Oct 2017
In reply to TMM:
Why are their membership fees more important than mine?

One member, one vote.
Post edited at 11:43
OP Derry 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:
holy be-jesus. Still a heated subject obviously. It was a tongue in cheek comment mixed with a dash of sarcasm.

*cowers away in the corner*
Post edited at 12:21
 ripper 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:

you do realise that these replies are (almost) all in the same vein?
 jonnie3430 17 Oct 2017
In reply to TMM:

Lol! Cos established clubs are less fuddy duddy?
 FactorXXX 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:

holy be-jesus. Still a heated subject obviously. It was a tongue in cheek comment.

You're not fooling anyone by trying to use the old 'Whoops, I made a mistake - I'll say it was a joke' ploy...
 TMM 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:
Some issues are too important to allow general members to determine. For this reason it is vital that the established clubs are given a greater voice to ensure the founding values of the BMC are maintained.
Please read my previous post on the subject if you need some more context.
Post edited at 12:28
In reply to TMM:

> Some issues are too important to allow general members to determine.

Rubbish.

A club consists of its members.

You are not more important than me, I am not more important than you.

I cannot respect this at all, sorry.
 Postmanpat 17 Oct 2017

> Rubbish.

> A club consists of its members.

> You are not more important than me, I am not more important than you.

> I cannot respect this at all, sorry.

I think you're being trolled.......
Removed User 17 Oct 2017
In reply to TMM:

That'll be the Alpine Club who failed to correctly distance themselves from Bob.
In reply to Postmanpat:

I hope so, but it didn't read like a troll to me.
 Postmanpat 17 Oct 2017
> I hope so, but it didn't read like a troll to me.

Well, check out his post of 11.25. He's either trolling or barking.....
Post edited at 13:29
 johncook 17 Oct 2017

Just so long as you are the one member who has the one vote!
 TMM 17 Oct 2017
> Rubbish.

> A club consists of its members.

> You are not more important than me, I am not more important than you.

> I cannot respect this at all, sorry.

I am sorry you disagree with my position but your opposition only strengthens my belief that established groups, or perhaps long standing members, should receive preferential voting rights to maintain the BMC's original values.

I am still considering the criteria but as a start voters with enhanced status would be required to have climbed Yankee Doodle, tie a water knot, have worn a Whillans harness (and still produced offspring), own a size 10 Hex and be comfortable in the use of a 'pied d'éléphants'
Post edited at 14:18
In reply to Derry:

The raft of whinging posts recently has probably led to a lack of tolerance for this sort of thing. Adding /s at the end of posts will help dispel any confusion in the future. Thanks.
Lusk 17 Oct 2017
In reply to TMM:

> I am still considering the criteria but as a start voters with enhanced status would be required to have climbed Yankee Doodle, tie a water knot, have worn a Whillans harness (and still produced offspring), own a size 10 Hex and be comfortable in the use of a 'pied d'éléphants'

Damn, I almost qualify but I've only summitted Rum Doodle
 Mick Ward 17 Oct 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> holy be-jesus. Still a heated subject obviously. It was a tongue in cheek comment.

> You're not fooling anyone by trying to use the old 'Whoops, I made a mistake - I'll say it was a joke' ploy...

As it happens I know derryclimbs and, unlike others, am in a position to guage how close his rationale is with his personality. It's an exact fit. No surprises there. He's truthful to a fault.

As he rightly says, this still is a very heated subject, perhaps surprisingly so in view of what came afterwards - Bob P, the MONC, etc. So I guess we've all learned something relevant.

Mick
 Mick Ward 17 Oct 2017
In reply to TMM:

> I am still considering the criteria but as a start voters with enhanced status would be required to:

- have climbed Yankee Doodle...

Went to do it but the state of the sea meant that abbing in was suicide. My pissed off mate did it the next day (what was I doing? Dunno). Went back on another trip to do it but it had fallen down.

- tie a water knot...

Probably have but not knowingly.

- have worn a Whillans harness...

Sure have. Taken massive whippers (ouch!!), hanging stances on aid routes, (caramba!)

- (and still produced offspring)...

Probably have but not knowingly.

- own a size 10 Hex...

Sure did but some beggar's half-inched it - probably for a climbing museum.

- and be comfortable in the use of a 'pied d'éléphants'...

Had a (short-lived) climbing column in a mag entitled pied d'éléphant. That any good? Nope, I thought not.

This application's not going too well...

Mick

TMM 17 Oct 2017

Sorry Nell.
In reply to Postmanpat:

> There should have been an open invitation to all members to submit their designs and then a national vote to choose the most appropriate logo following presentations at all regional meetings and the AGM.

We tried pretty much that for the national flag in New Zealand a couple of years ago. The designs were crap and the public voted to keep the same old flag. Cost = $25M
 DoctorYoghourt 18 Oct 2017
In reply to Derry:

I've only been climbing for four decades, so I don't know much. Forgive me. What's the BMC?
 GrahamD 18 Oct 2017
In reply to DoctorYoghourt:

The BMC will be part of the reason you have been able to climb for 40 years

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...