UKC

Climbing walls in London/SE for young children?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
noviceclimberkate 17 Oct 2017
Hello
Looking for some info on climbing walls which would take 4 year olds. I can only find one at the moment - High Sports at Lewisham or Brighton.
My son is nearly 4 and very keen to have a go but most climbing walls seem to be for 5 years old plus.
He'd need a lesson really or just a small wall to have a go/boulder over.
I'm also keen!
Many thanks
Kate
 george327 17 Oct 2017
In reply to noviceclimberkate:

Kate,

I believe Vauxwall in London has no lower age limit (assuming an accompanying and competent adult I believe). I remember asking them as I have a young nephew who I would like to take.

Louis Parkinson teaches out of there, I can recommend him personally for adult lessons, and have seen him previously with younger children also. He recently started a company: Catalyst Climbing. They do climbing lessons.

George
 PawelP 17 Oct 2017
Hi Kate,

My 3.5yrs daughter loves to climb at WhiteSpider in Surbiton.
There are couple of topropes she finds entertaining enough to do that quite often ends up in just swinging in the harness. There is also bouldering area upstairs she likes.
Another plus is they have very nice castle with a maze of tunnels inside, she loves exploring it, especially when it's not too busy.
In my experience the key is to get there outside of busy hours, for us it is usually early in the weekend and keep an eye on her so shes not walking where others are climbing

Cheers
Pawel
 cameronmurdoch 18 Oct 2017

In general most climbing walls (that I know of) don't have a specific lower age limit if the child is being supervised by their parents or another competent adult. For instructed sessions the age limit, (which is usually 5) tends to be pretty strictly enforced.

Unfortunately I don't know of a London wall with an age limit for instructed sessions lower than 5. Your best bet would be to ring around the major ones.
C
 yoshi.h 18 Oct 2017

Stronghold in Tottenham Hale, may be a bit far for you, but has an area for younger kids.
It's a dedicated area with smaller walls, easier climbs. Perhaps worth checking their website out.
 Graham6664 18 Oct 2017

I don't think there is any lower age limit at The Reach in Woolwich:

https://thereach.org.uk/

There some slab routes there ideal for little ones.

Graham.
Removed User 18 Oct 2017

Most Walls have lower age limit for instructed sessions. They don't for parents bringing their own children. As you're calling yourself 'noviceclimberkate' I assume you've not done much climbing as yet. Have you considered doing a beginners course at a local Wall; and then you could take him and climb together.
noviceclimberkate 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Great thanks everyone. Will investigate this weekend and hopefully start climbng!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...