UKC

Recommendations for car hire insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 17 Oct 2017
I'm interested to hear experiences of people who have bought annual insurance polices for rental cars, particular if it covers camper van hire. We're renting a camper van in Scotland next week, plus a car in England at the weekend and will probably use car rental again on other trips.

Obviously I can Google the cheapest and see cover etc but I'm more interested in people who have had cause to claim, so that we know whether they're actually any good or not. I couldn't find anything in the forum search.
 Trangia 17 Oct 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:
Do you mean Excess Insurance?

If so I can strongly recommend insurance4carhire and have had direct experience of claiming from them. They were good and refunded me without quibble.
Post edited at 15:54
OP yorkshireman 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Do you mean Excess Insurance?

> If so I can strongly recommend insurance4carhire and have had direct experience of claiming from them. They were good and refunded me without quibble.

Yes, thanks I did. I used them in the past but never had to claim. That's reassuring to know.

Thanks for the suggestion.
 duchessofmalfi 17 Oct 2017

I've used icarhireinsurance.com - never had to claim so i can't tell if they are any good in that respect but where they were winners was considerably better flexibility in the area of additional drivers than the others I tried - if you need an annual policy and might not always travel with the same additional drivers then it is worth a look.
 Neil Williams 17 Oct 2017

While costly there is an advantage to using the hirer's cover - you hand the broken car back and walk away, no pay and claim etc.
 alexcollins123 17 Oct 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I have used icarhireinsurance for the last few years and have had to claim once. No quibbles with the claim and I'd highly recommend them.
 Kimberley 17 Oct 2017

yes, Ive been happy with Questor
https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/car-hire-insurance.aspx
 Pedro50 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

> While costly there is an advantage to using the hirer's cover - you hand the broken car back and walk away, no pay and claim etc.

VERY costly. Gold Car wanted about 110 euros last year. We said no thanks and drove very carefully. This year we got something online much cheaper. Can't remember who
 yorkshire_lad2 17 Oct 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

I'd avoid Goldcar for rentals too. They're not very popular, see e.g.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/sep/11/goldcar-travel-insurance-car-...

I use an annnual worldwide excess policy from https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/ but not had a claim yet. Saved quite a lot on renter's/hirer's own "excess" insurance. Also, got a discount on renewal ater first year. Thank you very much!
 steveb2006 17 Oct 2017

Would also recomend Questor - just had to make a claim from them.

Taking seperate car hire excess insurance is loads cheaper than paying for the hire cars insurance though obviously a bit more hassle to claim, but not too bad.
 Blue Straggler 18 Oct 2017

I am with worldwideinsure dot com
I haven't used them in anger though....and am not sure whether I researched them or just copied off a friend!
 Blue Straggler 18 Oct 2017

Also, thanks for this thread because it made me check my emails to verify the company name, and in so doing I found out mine expired two days ago - and I will be hiring a car next week! :-o

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...