UKC

Lightroom stand-alone no more

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/9793353649/adobe-launches-all-new-cloud-based...

Suppose with the long delay in releasing LR 7 is is not entirely a surprise direction from Adobe, but I’m disappointed for my useage. I was waiting for a stand-alone LR 7, but Adobe for the future have gone subscription and cloud based only and at launch split LR into two versions - Classic CC and full CC version.

Looks like I’ll have to buy LR 6 now, which will not be further update after the end of the year, and review where I’m going in a couple of years or if my needs change. Sure others will be happy with the sub model to keep up to date though a 20 Gb limit seems low for the Classic version, but don’t think it’s for me.
 Paul Evans 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Very disappointing - but hardly unexpected. Currently I have LR6, and fortunately my RAW files are all in DNG format - I shoot with Pentax.
So I won't need to upgrade LR for any new camera purchases, not that I am considering any in the near or indeed medium term.
I really like Lightroom, and on my current kit it is fast and stable, so my thinking is that I'll just stay as I am on LR6 for a number of years. Maybe somewhere down the line I will consider moving to something else, but I dislike Adobe's subscription model, so not going to be going there anytime soon.

Paul
 greg_may_ 19 Oct 2017

Hmmm this is annoying. While I'm happy with the lower price I'm currently on, ~£9, it's only going to go up.

I've been considering moving to ON1 for a while now, this may drive me over.
In reply to Paul Evans:
I too like Lightroom and have got used to it so don’t meantime want to move away. Fortunately LR 6 will give me the raw converter I need and as I don’t upgrade often should keep me going for a few years. Upgrading to LR 6 is my thoughts for the way to go meanitme.
In reply to greg_may_:
I did read an article that suggested that Adobe is not likely to increase prices in the short term as they are still building up the user base on sub only products. It suggested they would lose a lot of those that it is of only marginal benefit very quickly. Time will tell.
 John2 19 Oct 2017

It is not really in the interests of those of us who use standalone Lightroom to rush to the subscription version - if there was hardly any takeup, Adobe might conceivably rethink this strategy.
In reply to John2:
It would be interesting to know figures of stand-alone users c/w sub users to see if we’re just a small minority group that could be given up on or not.
However, maybe Adobe is keeping options open as I gather that the new LR CC is less specified at launch than either the existing stand-alone and the new Classic CC version. Deliberately under spec to test water/keep development costs lower?

I certainly don’t know enough to figure it out- I was convinced, or had convinced myself (ha ha), that LR 7 stand-alone was coming as normal with extra spec !
 John2 19 Oct 2017

I thought the idea was that the new LR CC would run on mobile phones, while the fully featured version will run on PCs.
In reply to John2:
Ah, yes but it’s not clear it would just be for that. My reading is that the idea of the new CC version is that the use and experience will be identical on desktop, mobile and web using the cloud for automatic backup and sync which allows pick up where you left off type useage. The old CC version was different software, experience, etc., or so I’m told, from the mobile desktop LR versions. Abode’s own web pages lists system requirements for LR CC for windows and macs.

Think they are trying to attract via one software package for those that are wanting to use and jump to different machines for their processing and storage. I’m too old for that and just want one version on my desktop and not bothered about cloud sync and storage (well not meantime!).
 Big Ger 19 Oct 2017

how much they asking?
 Fraser 20 Oct 2017
In reply to John2:

I just can't imagine trying to use LR on a mobile phone in any meaningful way. I struggle with real estate on a 24" monitor as it is!
In reply to Big Ger:
Not bothered looking! Adobe’s website - https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/plans.html - shows prices in the UK if that is any help. I understand the prices are not going up for the new LR versions... yet!
 Mike_d78 21 Oct 2017

I was pretty happy with the old version of CC giving LR and Photoshop for a tenner a month. I don't edit via the mobile apps just view and flag up the duff photos for later deleting. I'm not keen on this new version though which looks to force the storage of raw files in the cloud. The £10 option only provides 25gb of storage which ain't many raw files, it's £20 for 1tb which I think is too much
 Big Ger 23 Oct 2017

Cheers mate, I may have to go legit when I come back to blighty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...