UKC

Scottish huts...where would you put yours?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 18 Oct 2017
As many of you will know, recent changes to Scottish law make having a hut in the hills a realistic possibility. See here for some details http://www.thousandhuts.org/?page_id=11.

I'm not interested in a debate over whether this is a good thing. I just want to know where you would sure yours, for winter climbing, skiing, walking, rock climbing etc.

R
 Michael Gordon 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Roberttaylor:

The end of the loch in Coire Mhic Fhearchair would be a fine location for an 'alpine' hut. Climbers only of course!
 Lamb 19 Oct 2017

The bottom of the loch in Lochnagar would be ideal for an Alpine hut.
 DaveHK 19 Oct 2017

Right beside the CIC. Just to piss the SMC off.
 planetmarshall 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Lamb:

> The bottom of the loch in Lochnagar would be ideal for an Alpine hut.

When you say, "The bottom"...
 DannyC 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Yip, this would be my choice too.

(Not that I'd ever like to actually see it happen!)

Glen Rosa, Arran, just before the bridge where it bends.

Stuart
 James Gordon 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Loch Aan basin, site of old Sinclair hut or Garbh Coire, head of glen einich, climbers col on Aonach mor, Fionn Loch/vicinity of Slioch, on the ridge between Stob Coire Nan Lochan & the hidden valley, head of Glenn na sguaib
 Toccata 19 Oct 2017

Far end of Clatteringshaws loch. New base for neds so we can reclaim Backhill of Bush.
 Ramblin dave 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Lamb:
By the looks of it, the huts we're actually talking about here are more like homemade holiday cottages than Alpine huts. But if I was after Alpine-style huts in Scotland, I'd be more interested in putting them at relatively remote roadheads than actually out in the hills, to encourage people to explore the area via public transport and long walking itineraries rather than by driving out to a car park, doing a day walk and driving back.

So I'd think about Linn of Dee, Strathan at the top of Loch Arkaig, somewhere around Loch Cuaich, the roadhead in Glen Affric, the bottom of Loch Lyon and so on.

This seems like the best of both worlds, in that less adventurous walkers who don't want to wildcamp or bothy would get to experience that sort of remote location and have more opportunities for satisfying multi-day walks, but the actual remote areas would still be untouched for people who value that sort of thing. It'd also be a shedload cheaper than having to supply (and build) them using 4x4s or helicopters. On the other hand, based on the fact that remote bunkhouses and hostels generally seem to be in decline, it might just be that people would actually rather drive out from Aviemore or Fort William every day.
Post edited at 12:12
 Fredt 19 Oct 2017

On the summit of Sgurr Dearg, on Skye.
 Ben_Climber 19 Oct 2017

Down the end of Glen Nevis near the Steall Bridge.
Alternate for being remote, between Kinloch Hourn and Barrisdale. A beautiful costal path.

Ben
 Andy Johnson 19 Oct 2017

Somewhere beautiful and unspoiled by the presence of huts built by other people.
 Root1 19 Oct 2017

Head of Loch Avon below Hells Lum.
 Andy Johnson 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Root1:

> Head of Loch Avon below Hells Lum.

Sorry, no. Taken.

I believe there may be some spaces left in Strath Nethy.
 fmck 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Stuart the postie:

SMC did ?ook at the old mining ruin cottage in Glen San nox at one time according to Alastair Walker. Guess whoever owns the area said NO!
 French Erick 27 Oct 2017

Somewhere near loch dionard on Foinaven (or a bit before for other coires).
OP Roberttaylor 05 Nov 2017

http://ibsc.org.uk/club-matters/ibsc-mountain-hut

These guys have permission from a landowner now (worth having a look at the FB group 'reforesting Scotland thousand huts' if interested).

jonnie3430 05 Nov 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> the roadhead in Glen Affric,

I was there the other day, there's already a hut at the other end and a youth hostel a bit further on!

I like the beinn eighe idea, lochnagar would have to be a lot further up the hill and would suggest some excavation to the shelterstone to improve its facilities. I would like a climbers barn quite far out on the reiff peninsula, lazy days in the sun without having to walk to the car and drive to campsite...
Post edited at 15:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...