UKC

Football and Climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 19 Oct 2017
Are there less football fans in the climbing/outdoor world than in other walks of life?

This may just be something I have encountered and may have no truth.
I have worked in the climbing/ outdoor industry and spent plenty of time around climbing walls and find that very few people follow football. I feel like a minority.

Where are my fellow football fans and who do you support?

Ben
( A Northern Spurs fan)
 the sheep 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Not a football fan, do like rugby and cricket though.
 Pete Dangerous 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I found most climbers tend to be out doing stuff themselves, rather than watching 11 other guys do something and then talking about it all week after, as if they did it themselves :p
Gone for good 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Pete Dangerous:
> I found most climbers tend to be out doing stuff themselves, rather than watching 11 other guys do something and then talking about it all week after, as if they did it themselves :p

There's another thread for smug bar stewards like you

In reply to the OP. I'm a life long Wolves fan who was feeling very smug after watching them wallop the Villa on Saturday evening.
Post edited at 15:36
 TMM 19 Oct 2017

> I found most climbers tend to be out doing stuff themselves, rather than watching 11 other guys do something and then talking about it all week after, as if they did it themselves :p

Agreed.
Watching '11 other do something' is really dull. Now get 22 of them and it can be really entertaining.
 GrahamD 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I think people who actually participate in any activity generally have less time for watching football. I don't know many avid football fans amongst MrsD's Squash playing mates or Triathlon mates or any of my cycling mates.

I'm nominally a Blue Nose (Birmingham City) but the last time I saw them live, Trevor Francis was still a teenage prodigy for them.
 ripper 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> Are there less football fans in the climbing/outdoor world than in other walks of life?
> Ben

> ( A Northern Spurs fan)

No, there are fewer football fans in the climbing/outdoor world....
But apart from the grammatical point, I would agree it seems you're right. Very few of my climbing friends are even remotely interested. My step-son is one exception - he was a pretty good amateur player in his slightly younger days and has coached kids teams too. He's a Burnley fan. I'm from Manchester so obviously follow City, although mostly from an armchair/barstool - last time I went to the Etihad was for the final game of the 11/12 season (AGUERROOOO!)
The football City play now - or at least so far this season - is amazing to watch (on tv) but part of me misses the old days of never knowing what might happen, when a win meant so much more. Do you remember the 2004 cup tie at your place, we were 3-0 down and had Barton sent off, but came back to win 4-3?

A few years back I went to a champs' league home tie against Dortmund (we were lucky to scrape a point). I sat directly in front of a group of 4-5 women, obviously all regulars, and overheard one say to her my mates: "My husband says he doesn't know why I still bother coming down here week after week - I told him, 'this is all I've got in my life!'"
 Hat Dude 19 Oct 2017
More likely to be the other way round with climbers; 11 watching one doing something

Post edited for sexism
Post edited at 15:53
OP Ben_Climber 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:
I do understand the "11 over paid men running around" view. Once your hooked on your team though, it's hard to not care.

I'm not sure I subscribe to 'not watching sport as you are busy taking part in it yourself' view. It is 90 minutes in a week.... How busy are you!?
I still manage to climb, gym or run most days. I'm not sure watching football makes you an inactive slob.
Post edited at 15:58
In reply to ripper:

I know what you mean.
I was watching the Madrid game on Tuesday and said to my dad it's been a long time since I have been this nervous watching a game. Success brings an unwelcome inevitability to results. Not that Spurs are successful mind.

I do remember that game well, thank you for the reminder!
 Glyno 19 Oct 2017
> I found most climbers tend to be out doing stuff themselves...

...or spending time on internet forums talking about it
Post edited at 15:59
 GrahamD 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> I'm not sure I subscribe to 'not watching sport as you are busy taking part in it yourself' view. It is 90 minutes in a week.... How busy are you!?

It isn't though, is it ? to get to matches takes out a good chunk of the day and its not cheap.
In reply to Ben_Climber:

'Your team'. The one where all the players can change, the manager can change, the location can change.....

What's the constant you're actually supporting?

In reply to GrahamD:

No more expensive than a new cam and a drive to Stanage
I suppose it depends how keen you are, with my team being in London I only make it down a few times a year. I mostly watch on TV which costs me nothing and doesn't take up to much of my day.

My point still stands though.
Out of the vast number of football fans in the world. Very few of them are climbers.
 ripper 19 Oct 2017

Well if you're going to be all logical about it...
 Blue Straggler 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Climbers are more stuck up about it and are far more prone to making louder and more pompous points about not liking football, trotting the hilarious and original and clever "22 spoiled millionaires chasing a bag of wind around some grass" line, than are people from other walks of life who may well also dislike football but who are rounded and mature enough to not bang on about it all the time.

Trangia 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:
I've never really seen the point of football. 22 men or women kicking a large round ball around an area the size of a football pitch. Utterly pointless and aimless.

Now give me a rock crag where there is a perfectly easy path up the side, but you chose to climb up the hardest part of the face instead to get to the top before walking down again...now there's something worthwhile doing with your time.
Post edited at 16:18
 podman 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Glasgow Rangers. WATP!
 Shani 19 Oct 2017
In reply to the sheep:

> Not a football fan, do like rugby and cricket though.

Looking forward to the autumn internationals!
 john arran 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I follow the Boro, so obviously I'm not keen on football.
In reply to Ben_Climber:
I only support Cyprus First Division Omonia Nicosia FC.

I think Jim Pope, Molly Thompson Smith and William Bosi are far better Role Models for young people than Wayne Rooney and other young footballers.

Sav
Post edited at 16:29
 Andy Hardy 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Welcome back!
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Gracias Andy

mrphilipoldham 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I photograph the 'beautiful' (read: usually dire) game for a living, going climbing is excellent escapism. From my experience it seems climbers do have a team, or at the very least did have one, but aren't enthusiastic followers.
In reply to Trangia:

At least you're doing it though, not watching others do it and then complaining about the way they did it and how you definitely know how it could have been done better...
 ripper 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

> I only support Cyprus First Division Omonia Nicosia FC.

> I think Jim Pope, Molly Thompson Smith and William Bosi are far better Role Models for young people than Wayne Rooney and other young footballers.

> Sav

It's been a while since anyone described Rooney as a 'young' footballer!
In reply to ripper:
Agree....

Very true.

He is young anymore.

Sav
Post edited at 16:52
In reply to Ben_Climber:

One thing that probably attracts a lot of climbers to climbing is that it isn't competitive (well, it wasn't...), isn't a team sport, and is mostly about personal challenges.

All of which contrast with team sports like football.

So I wouldn't be surprised if their are fewer football fans amongst climbers than there are in other groups.
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Freediving has far fewer football fans than does climbing, but then again freediving is a lot more individual, spiritual, liberating, "at one with nature", "maverick", free-spirited, adventurous, etc. than is climbing [insert smiley winking emoticon]
 Timmd 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I wonder if the way climbing seems to attract outsiders can be linked to there seeming to be less football fans among climbers than among other 'groups'?

Tanke 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber

Football is for children.
In reply to Timmd:

You actually wonder this?

It's utterly obvious
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Long suffering Sunderland fan. Old enough to remember 1973 FA Cup win.
I can eat 50 eggs 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

In the climbing community it is 'cool' and the done thing to be uninterested in football.

And anyone who quotes the 'overpaid blokes kicking a ball about...' guff just can't be taken seriously.

Ooohhh aaaahhh Cantona
 gribble 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Football does leave me cold, but I love watching rugby and bike racing (with engines!).

What I don't get is why it seems that fans commonly feel they have to get drunk to watch their chosen game - football and rugby alike. Very odd. Surely it can't all be about numbing the pain of losing!
 Chris the Tall 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I use to spend a inordinate amount of time following Tranmere Rovers

For a number of reasons I started going less and less, and haven't been to a game for the last 4 years

One of these reasons is that they now struggle to beat pub sides, but it's not the main reason
 The New NickB 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I watched my team last night in the pub, first time I have done that in ages.

I don't climb as much as I used to, but oddly when I climbed a lot I watched a lot more football, either in the pub or half a dozen times a season live.

Generally I find that I am too busy, although I still look out for results and may have a game on in the background on the radio whilst doing something else.

Being from Manchester, I'm a United fan. What the City fans don't mention, is that they are heavily outnumbered even in Manchester. Of course I am mainly a United fan, because that is who my Dad told me to support back when Dave Sexton was manager.
 peppermill 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

To quote a climbing pal of mine :

'Climbing isn't a sport, it's an activity for geeks. It's mostly full of people who were left out of the school football team'

Looking at myself and most at my local wall I think he's probably right so this might explain it
In reply to The New NickB:

I support Johnny Dawes.
In reply to peppermill:

I never fully participated in team sports at school.
 TomGB 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:
Pretty ardent West Bromwich Albion fan. When I was in the UK I'd got to the Hawthorns 2 or 3 time a season (usually climbing at weekends). I was crap at football at school and not in any teams. Probably fit the nerdy/outsider climbing stereotype fairly well. Yet love football and cricket. Who'd've thunk it.

I do agree that there is a degree of smugness about not liking football in the climbing community. Of all my climbing mates only 1 likes football. He has worn full Villa kit (shirt and trackie bottoms) on the Welsh 3000s and Cuillin traverse. He's also nearly doubled his round of munros pretty much entirely in the Villa shirt.

If my dad happens to read this then I can only ask for his humble forgiveness for associating with a bloody Villa fan.
Post edited at 19:00
 ripper 19 Oct 2017

>

>What the City fans don't mention, is that they are heavily outnumbered even in Salford.

Fixed that for you
 The New NickB 19 Oct 2017
In reply to ripper:

> >What the City fans don't mention, is that they are heavily outnumbered even in Salford.

> Fixed that for you

Trafford as well. Pretty much everywhere except the Gulf States and maybe Thailand.
 Timmd 19 Oct 2017
> You actually wonder this?
> It's utterly obvious

Are you as agreeable in everyday life too?

Civility costs us nothing...
Post edited at 19:35
 JayK 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

West Brom fan. I love going and watching Tony Pulis' Great Wall of Smethwick. The frustration of the opposition supporters when their fancy pass and play teams can't break down 10 defenders and a goalkeeper before finally conceding from a set piece is a sight to behold. Almost as good as a day in North Wales.
Gone for good 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Are you as patronising in every day life?

A little humility costs us nothing.....
 Timmd 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Gone for good:
> Are you as patronising in every day life?

Not as much as him?

> A little humility costs us nothing.....

I am humble, I just don't see why people can't be civil.
Post edited at 20:04
 Flinticus 19 Oct 2017
In reply to peppermill:

Left out? I wish.

Compelled to play.
 bouldery bits 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Timmd and blues straggler:

I know how you can settle this, each of you gather together 10 mates and then jumpers for goal posts down the park
 the sheep 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Shani:

Oh yes, and the All Balcks Vs Convicts on Saturday
In reply to Ben_Climber:

The Jags aka The Harry Wraggs aka the Maryhill Magyars... the mighty Partick Thistle...!

In reply to Timmd:
> Are you as agreeable in everyday life too?

> Civility costs us nothing...

I was being civil. You on the other hand have resorted to petty sarcasm. Rather ironic.

Read that reply of mine again. It is civil.
First, I check whether your question is sincere. Then I give you a harsh truth which indicates that the answer is staring you in the face. It was a helpful gesture on my part, akin to the "give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime". I was gently teaching you how to scan threads, and the thanks I get is a petty sarcastic quip and an accusation of rudeness. That's not very nice
Post edited at 20:33
 bouldery bits 19 Oct 2017

> I was being civil. You on the other hand have resorted to petty sarcasm. Rather ironic.

> Read that reply of mine again. It is civil.

> First, I check whether your question is sincere. Then I give you a harsh truth which indicates that the answer is staring you in the face. It was a helpful gesture on my part, akin to the "give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime". I was gently teaching you how to scan threads, and the thanks I get is a petty sarcastic quip and an accusation of rudeness. That's not very nice

Thank goodness Blue Straggler is here to teach us how to read a thread!

Whatever would we do without your guidance?

Come on big man, give it a rest.
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Come on big man, give it a rest.

Oh I have put it to bed and tucked it in.
It WAS a silly question though.

Night all

Lusk 19 Oct 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Oi, don't knock BS, he's my latter-day Barry Norman
In reply to Lusk:

And why not?
Lusk 19 Oct 2017

Thought you'd gone to bed?
In reply to Lusk:

No, that was a goodnight from the "it" that bouldery bits told me to give a rest!
 Big Ger 19 Oct 2017
In reply to the sheep:

> Not a football fan, do like rugby and cricket though.

Ditto, (both codes of Rugby.)
 Chris the Tall 19 Oct 2017
In reply to peppermill:

> 'Climbing isn't a sport, it's an activity for geeks. It's mostly full of people who were left out of the school football team'

I never made the first team I just made the first team laugh
 Big Ger 19 Oct 2017

> Being from Manchester, I'm a United fan.

We've got three of them in our office, and of all things, a Southampton supporter.
 SimonCRMC 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Delighted to see there's another Rovers sufferer on here. I still get to some games. Tranmere's league position resembles my climbing grade - but that's another story!
In reply to Ben_Climber:
I have always played football, I love going to games - I’ll travel too but I am obsessed with climbing. And you’re right in that just about all my climbing partners aren’t interested in football.
Freeman0323 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I am a big fan of Southampton! I almost watched their every single match.
 Andrew Wilson 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Wasn't there a thread or an article recently about climbers and mountaineers being outsiders?

If you were crap at football at school you could end up being a bit of an outsider. This is potentially the first step down the path of being a non-football following climber!

I was crap at football, and don't follow it either. If anyone asks.

Andy
 TomGB 20 Oct 2017
In reply to JayK:

bloody hell, another one! I will weep tears of joy when that dinosaur leaves the shrine
 wilkie14c 20 Oct 2017

Footy both live and televised attracts those with a strong tribal instinct. There's nothing better that watching f your team in a boozer that's full of your own fans. Even better from the stands.

Derby fan
 ripper 20 Oct 2017

> I never made the first team I just made the first team laugh

stop Bragging!
OP Ben_Climber 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Well its is nice to know there are a few fellow football fans out there who can appreciate the game as well as having a love for climbing.
It would be intresting to do some research on the reasons the numbers are so few though.
It seems there may be some truth in the team/individual sport comparison.
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> I do understand the "11 over paid men running around" view. Once your hooked on your team though, it's hard to not care.

> I'm not sure I subscribe to 'not watching sport as you are busy taking part in it yourself' view. It is 90 minutes in a week.... How busy are you!?

> I still manage to climb, gym or run most days. I'm not sure watching football makes you an inactive slob.

But wouldn't a 'proper' fan be going at least to all the home games thus giving up a lot of weekends away (albeit quite a few of them at climbing unfriendly times of year)
In reply to GrahamD:

> It isn't though, is it ? to get to matches takes out a good chunk of the day and its not cheap.

Make that a whole day for away games and very expensive if you support certain clubs.
 Ian Bell 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Would agree with everyone else, very few climbers seem to be that interested in football. I'm an Ipswich fan personally although I probably only make it to a few live games every season.

Not sure what gives more neckache, belaying or watching Mick McCarthy direct football (although we are a bit more entertaining this season).

They should go back to their old habits of having extra players on the pitch
Gone for good 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ian Bell:

Shouldn't you be practicing your batting in case you get a call up for the Ashes?
 GrahamD 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Gone for good:

> Shouldn't you be practicing your batting in case you get a call up for the Ashes?

Forget that after the season he's had for (the now relegated) Warwickshire.
 Pkrynicki1984 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Stoke city fan.

Used to watch them home and away regulary until 3-4 seasons ago.

Lost interest a bit now, but love an away day with the lads, nearly as much as i love a day out climbing..... virtually all my friends love football and virtually none of them even see the point in climbing.

In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

What is your definition of a 'proper' fan?
I watch every spurs game whether that be in the flesh or on television. I would go to all the games if I lived closer, but as your rightly point out, it can be time consuming and costly travelling from Manchester to London a few times a month.
It isn't the same as going to the games but watching in the afternoon on TV allows me the time to get to the crag in the morning!

I wonder what other sports/ activities attract people who don't follow football?
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

Your right! An away day is hard to beat... unless you get beat.
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I can honestly say i'm well and truly used to that!
 dunc56 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Do you have a trans gender friend who is humble ?
iusedtoclimb 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I like watching football.
What I can’t comprehend is the way some people view it
Last’s nights Everton game some bloke carrying his toddler in one arm and trying to punch opposition players with his other hand??
Went to see man city V napoli earlier in the week. The Napoli fans were full on, which is good as it makes for a good atmosphere. What was odd was when they scored their penalty a number of their fans tried to break through the marshalls and get at the City fans. Really bizarre way to celebrate a goal!!
In reply to TomGB:

> I do agree that there is a degree of smugness about not liking football in the climbing community.

Smugness? Or complete lack of interest? Or puzzlement & exasperation that people spend so much time and effort in a vicarious activity, supporting 'their' team, and banging on about it, and it receiving so much media coverage?
 Blue Straggler 20 Oct 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

That's a terribly smug reply.
In reply to JayK:

As a stoke fan well used to watching a team under Pulis I can see your point.

It does get boring at times , but i'm not knocking him... the blokes a legend !

Just a shame when he left us it also ended our 6 points a season from your lot!
 Greenbanks 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I remember being at uni in Wales. I went there because of the climbing in part, but I was always pretty handy at football. Result was that Autumn and later Spring were very bad times because I was always torn between getting to the crag on really nice weekends and not letting my team-mates down. It wasn't quite so bad in the thick of winter of course (no indoors stuff in those days), but that only served to build a bigger bond with the uni football team for me - and a bigger sense that I was letting people down. It only really resolved itself in my final year, when either footy or climbing had to give. Climbing came out on top.
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I hate football!!!!
Only because I badly sprained my left ankle helping a mate fill numbers in a 6a side game two weeks ago, which has stopped me from bouldering ???? (swelled up like a balloon).
But yeah as a lifelong MUFC fan who is mildly interested in BHAFC (as I live Darrn sarrrrf now) I also find football to be an outsiders topic in the outdoor realm, which tbh I enjoy as it gets boring.
 Pete Pozman 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:
I can only just remember the thrill of being in the Scratching Shed at Elland Road back in the sixties. Even better than that was being in the crowd at Belle Vue during the great days of Wakefield Trinity, even further back in time. But that thrill never touched the feeling of standing on the pitch, waiting for the kick off and then actually playing. Too old for team sports now but lining up for a fell race or a a 10K comes close to that kick-off feeling.
If I want a quiet hour or two I sit in front of the TV when a soccer match is on and my wife leaves me alone. She seems to think men have a right to watch "the match". I know it's wicked of me but I don't let on that, unlkess it's a rugby international, I'm bored rigid.
(Doing is always better than watching whatever sport/pastime it is. If you're on the crag you can't be at the match.)
Post edited at 16:44
 Dave the Rave 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Nowt up with following the footie!
There's enough that climb that follow the rugby.
I don't go anymore as I've lost a bit of interest but used to go to the Vale home and away for years.
In the end you make a choice that ou want to do something else and choose your matches.
Away games are the best but I doubt I could cope with that lifestyle anymore.
We used to hire private coaches and be sipping by 9am all the way to the match, watch the match and then start again.
In those days you could get to Plymouth etc drink all day and get in the match for less than £50. Nowadays it's £25 to watch fourth division!
Come on the Vale! Aspo is back as manager with King Rudge. Fancy a good Fa cup run with the red and white shite in the 3rd. Pope will nick it with an injury time header.
 aln 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Hat Dude:

> More likely to be the other way round with boulderers; 11 watching one doing something

Post edited for accuracy
andymac 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I loved and lived,and breathed football.

Now have very little interest in it.

Haven't watched a game on TV for about 5 years.

In summing up Football just means zilch anymore.i feel I grew and matured my way away from it.

Celtic btw.

Which adds up.My club are now scratching away in the wilderness ,whilst the rest of the world(English Premiership ) has gone on to great riches.
In reply to andymac:

My local team is Crystal Palace and I have been to a few matches.

I only watch football when World Cup or the Euro Cup is on.

DR 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Being a Sunderland fan hardly qualifies us as being football fans these days! And I can't even remember 73 even though I was 6 at the time!
 Skip 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I used to be a football fan, now I'm a hopeless addict. Is there a such thing as "football fans anonymous"?
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Spurs fan suddenly wants to talk about football? what a surprise!

Life long gooner. Must say I have fallen out of love a bit with the game since its become huge money. Gave up my season ticket 5 years ago but still enjoy watching MOTD and buy the odd game on NOW tv. Enjoy the banter and humour .
 JimR 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I'm a Killie fan. Couple of my climbing partners in my youth were professional footballers. They couldn't tell their clubs they went climbing though
mick taylor 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Wigan Latics, inc. plenty away games. Interestingly, as my climbing career fades, my footie career increases.

Really enjoying league one at the moment, and hoping for a good stint in championship next year...

Highlights have included the Mighty Ben Watson goal to win the FA cup, and beating Arsenal (3-2, was 2 nl down at half time) with a quality late winner from N'Zogbia.

And we do have the best song.....but only when he actually is on fire...which aint enough at the moment.
OP Ben_Climber 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I haven't had much to cheer about in the 27yrs I have been following them so cut me some slack!
 French Erick 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

One of my climbing pals follows all sport, be it football, rugby or crickets...and climbs a lot.

I have absolutely no interest in either of the above. Personal choice. I admire the skills but dislikes the prominence of football in many countries over other equally worthwhile sporting pursuits.

It is my opinion, however, that as a spectator sport, football is infinitely more interesting than climbing! And I don't mind watching the odd climbing video now and again.
 Mark Bannan 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> It is 90 minutes in a week.... How busy are you!?

Very good point!

Climbers I've met have been about half:half when it comes to interest in football and not many are disinterested in both football and rugby (union).

I marginally prefer rugby - we're particularly looking forward to the Autumn Internationals, as my wife and I have tickets to Ireland vs South Africa at Lansdowne Road. Love 6 Nations and World Cup, although I would like to see Ireland make semis (however, last year's Autumn victory over ABs was superb too!). Football is a close second - Arsenal (although I am more a fan of George Graham's sides than Wenger's) and Aberdeen (we go to a few matches a year here), although I am also pro-Celtic.

M
OP Ben_Climber 02 Nov 2017

I must say I did enjoy my trip to wembley last night! COYS
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Wembley? Did you win a trophy?

OP Ben_Climber 02 Nov 2017

Trying! How is Thursday evening football?
In reply to Ben_Climber:

have a like
In reply to captain paranoia:

"Smugness? Or complete lack of interest? Or puzzlement & exasperation that people spend so much time and effort in a vicarious activity, supporting 'their' team, and banging on about it, and it receiving so much media coverage?"

Have you ever read a cycling thread on this forum when the TdF or another bike ride is on. Just the same
 Babika 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> Where are my fellow football fans and who do you support?

I'm here! Proud to be a happy Hammer. But ashamed to say that i turned over to Gogglebox at half time the other week when we were losing 2-0 to you in the EFL as I couldn't face yet another trouncing.

The shouts when I checked the FT score brought my other half running as he thought the house was burning down or something

Sorry to bring that up Ben.......

earlsdonwhu 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Babika:
I had similar emotions but .......then the screaming heebeejeebies in the 97 the minute against Palace. I am anticipating a complete breakdown against Liverpool.
I should know what to expect after 50 years of support!
Post edited at 17:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...