UKC

Hitchachi 40(ish) inch TVs, anybody a member of Which etc?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 19 Oct 2017

Hi peeps, a friend with PTSD seems to like to watch TV a lot when not having to engage with the world, as a way of not having to think, I think.

The current TV has broken, and the search is on for a replacement, has anybody any thoughts on or experience of the reliability of Hitachi TVs?

That would be Smart TVs...

Many thanks.
Tim
Post edited at 17:42
 FactorXXX 19 Oct 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Does it need special features for a PTSD sufferer or will a normal TV be OK?
In reply to Timmd:

I'm still wary of 'smart TV'. The smart bit is often still a very closed platform, with a small number of apps that are not regularly updated. My preference is still for a dumb TV and an external smart function, provided by any number of cheap (~£30) android media boxes. Being android, these have access to the full play store, and upgraded apps.

IIRC, Hitachi TVs are, like many others, badge-engineered and made by Vestel. Google will show you the huge list of companies they supply.

Some of these have a design flaw in the power supply, leaving it prone to premature failure. But it's an easy fault to repair if you know what you're doing.

I have three Vestel TVs, and my parents have two; Sainsbury's Celcus TVs. I got a 23" some time ago, then got my M&D a 23" with DVD, then bought myself a 40", which I then gave to M&D when I got a Sony. Then bought a "spare" 40" when Sainos were knocking them out for silly money. Then I found a 23" with DVD (identical to M&D's first) by the skip up the road. With the aforementioned fault, that I repaired for 99p, which will also prevent the fault recurring.
OP Timmd 19 Oct 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks for the Vestel nugget, I'll google that and see what else they make.
 The Lemming 19 Oct 2017

> I'm still wary of 'smart TV'. The smart bit is often still a very closed platform, with a small number of apps that are not regularly updated. My preference is still for a dumb TV and an external smart function, provided by any number of cheap (~£30) android media boxes.

My parents gave me a Smart Panasonic TV last year and I have to say that the TV is excellent. However the smart bit is more of a gimic where I do not use any of the features. For me, the stand out feature is the Amazon Fire-stick plugged into one of the HDMI ports in the back of the TV.

With a Fire-stick, any TV can become a smart TV. And with a bit of YouTube searching you can unlock even more potential by researching all about Kodi. Kodi gives you access to all sorts of apps which can enhance your viewing experience even further and way beyond what any smart TV can offer.
In reply to The Lemming:

> My parents gave me a Smart Panasonic TV last year

That may be a Vestel, too...
 The Lemming 19 Oct 2017

> That may be a Vestel, too...

Its an awesome bit 42 inch goodness.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...