UKC

Nepal legwear advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IainMunro 19 Oct 2017
Hello,

Off to Nepal soon for a 3 week trek with a 6000m peak.

I’m struggling to know what trousers to take for the climbing days.

Can anyone with experience of Nepal advise?

Not wanting to buy any new kit so options from current wardrobe...

1) Paramo Asprira sallopetes with merino or power stretch tights
2) mid/heavy weight soft shell with merino or power stretch tights
3) 2 + a GTX shell over the top

Interested to hear what has worked for others. I generally run warmish

Iain

Y Gribin 19 Oct 2017
In reply to IainMunro:

I would go for 2 + 3
Your Aspiras would be fine for your summit day but, for the majority of your trek, would be too hot whereas 2 and 3 gives you much more flexibility.

(I’ve been treking in Nepal and have a similar trouser selection!)
 CliffPowys 19 Oct 2017
In reply to IainMunro:

I assume that you are going to try an easy trekking peak. For such things I use mid weight soft shells over artificial fibre base layers and a light fleece mid layer. Add gaiters, warm hat, sun hat, two layers of mitts/gloves, and a buff or two as required. You might take a light down jacket for the early start but I tend to take it off quite quickly.

Your current clothing strikes me as overkill. It is very unlikely that you will attempt something like Imja Tse or Mera in bad weather. Your guide(s) will see to that, even if you want to. I suggest that you leave the GTX layer at home. It is not likely to rain much and I think that you will find a cheap umbrella more practical for the odd shower lower down.

Hope you have a great time!

OP IainMunro 20 Oct 2017
In reply to CliffPowys:

> I use mid weight soft shells over artificial fibre base layers and a light fleece mid layer.

> Your current clothing strikes me as overkill.

Hi thanks for message, this is what I'm getting a bit unsure about, we have had lots of conflicting advice. Lots of people and yourself suggest fleece leg wear and a base layer... I've never worn fleece pants and would worry about roasting. There seems to be so much variation in the advice we have read!

We are doing Lobuche Peak approx 6100m. My query is just for the summit day. On the trek was planning to wear lightweight soft shell pants.

Thanks

Iain

CliffPowys 20 Oct 2017
In reply to IainMunro:

Unfortunately this is something of an individual matter. Some people just need more insulation to stay warm; whether it is Scotland or Nepal. There is no "right" answer. I do not feel the cold a great deal, perhaps rather like you, so my combination may suit you. Only experience can tell.

In practical terms the issue boils down to "what do I do if I am too hot". How can I remove insulation quickly and easily as required or do I just put up with being too warm? You need to be able to adjust things

My solution to this is to regulate my comfort by varying my head and neck wear to vent heat. If I am too hot, which is usually on the descent, I just remove the buff around my neck and unzip my jacket a bit. I might also take my hat off and unzip the top of my soft shell pants. In the morning I just accept that I may be a bit cold at first but I warm up quickly. IME Himalayan climbing is frequently uncomfortable but worth the discomfort.

It is only for a few hours. It is more important that your boots are warm enough. Try not to over-think matters!
 GHawksworth 21 Oct 2017
In reply to IainMunro:

As Cliffpowys said, it's a personal thing.No advice as per here but...

I was at Thorong-La at 5400m at 7am last week and, with the wind, a pair of medium thickness thermals and my marmot Highlanders were JUST enough to keep the cold at bay on my legs. I'd suggest maybe wearing waterproofs for summit day to stop the wind instead of bringing and extra pair of softshells just for one day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...