UKC

Tarf hotel- river crossings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Planning a trip to the Tarf hotel this weekend- from the Linn of Dee approach. But it crosses the geldie burn and the Tarf- both of which can be tricky to cross in spate; and there is heavy rain forecast overnight. If the forecast is to be believed, the rain will have stopped a good 6 hours before we reach the Geldie-has anyone got experience of these crossings- how much does it have to rain before they become an issue,and how quickly do they rise and fall?

Dave the Rave 19 Oct 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

The rain falls on the hills. It soaks into the ground a bit if it's not already sodden. Then through the medium of gravity it finds the easiest route downhill. I would imagine that six hours after the rainfall stopped, if the forecast was to be believed, that river crossings at a lower level could be hazardous?
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Thanks for the bump, Dave...
 malky_c 19 Oct 2017
Dunno - I always seem to cross the Geldie in the dark, making it more awkward than it needs to be. For the Tarf at least, you could cross the Bedford Memorial bridge at the Falls of Tarf and work your way back up to the track on the south side of the river.

Geldie is quite wide - probably does get rather deep in the sort of weather we're having just now. I've never had to cross it, but I've waded the upper reaches of the Feshie not far to the west, and that could certainly get pretty uncrossable with a bit of rain. Again, you could approach from Linn of Dee on the south side of the Dee/Geldie to avoid the crossing, although the going would be a bit harder.

Sorry, that's a very inconclusive response!
Post edited at 22:54
In reply to malky_c:

Thanks malky- yes i see what you mean- looks like there are work-arounds; but that they add time onto an already pretty long day.

Hmmm. Will sleep on it....
 Simon Caldwell 20 Oct 2017

We first stayed at the Tarf one May. The previous evening, after a mostly dry day, we forded the Tarf near the hut, about knee deep but not too bad. The next morning after a night of heavy rain, the newly formed moat around the hut was knee deep by the door, and all the surrounding streams were uncrossable.
It took about 3 hours for the water to drop enough to leave the hut but we still had to walk about 2km up the Feith Uaine Mhor before we could cross it.
http://climbing.me.uk/Balgowan/Sunday/slides/P1110587.html
http://climbing.me.uk/Balgowan/Monday/index.html

Depending on the water level when you get there, you may be best crossing the Tarf at the bridge and then staying on the south side to reach the bothy. Wet and boggy but at least you're on the right side of the river!
 Welsh Kate 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I love those rainbow shots - great timing!
 Jim Braid 20 Oct 2017

Crossing the Geldie Burn was discussed last year

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=653176

Given the recent weather and the forecast I would expect it to be a challenge. It's a wide crossing and changing your mind halfway over could be difficult. You'll get an idea at Linn of Dee of the levels even though you'll be crossing upstream from White Bridge where the Dee joins the Geldie. Safe but slower and harder going is to follow the S side of the Dee.

You're probably better looking for alternative trips for this weekend - ones with no river crossings!
In reply to Simon and Jim:

this is really helpful information- those photos make it clear how big a river the Tarf is at that point, and i think you're right, Jim, alternative destination looks like it should be the plan...

(lovely photos, Simon...)

cheers
gregor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...