UKC

ARTICLE: Black Rock: Performing Mountains with Johnny Dawes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 20 Oct 2017
Cloggy in its winter coat., 3 kbJohnny Dawes' historic first ascent of The Indian Face E9 6c in October 1986 was widely regarded as a new benchmark in climbing and subsequent ascents have been duly captured by filmmakers and photographers alike. This November, however, his ascent and the line itself will be enacted in a different, more theatrical medium: enter stage left, Johnny Dawes.

Read more
 bouldery bits 20 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

Classic Johnny
Removed User 20 Oct 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

I absolutely love this. It stands out among all the wanky crimpers as exhilarating madness and affection for climbing in it's purest.
 Mick Ward 24 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

Somehow missed this last Friday; new routing got in the way! A fascinating project.

Over the years, I've found it interesting to read short climbing stories to non-climbers. Obviously they can't really get the technicalities; what matters far more is that, seemingly very often, they get the spirit of what's happening. I guess, in a literary sense, that's an attempt to take climbing, 'from the inside, out...'

Perhaps Jonathan and David are approaching climbing, 'from the outside, in...' - and who better to guide them than the master magician himself?

An interesting observation from David: 'What has struck me is how climbers often talk of the beauty of particular climbs, which appears as a type of flow in the moment, this shares many characteristics with choreographic practice.'

And, as Mr Dawes is reputed to have observed, "Climbing is cheap therapy!"

Mick

P.S. Wasn't there a climbing performance troupe in Yorkshire in the 1990s entitled E5 6b? And didn't a hold break, so that it had to be renamed E5 6c??

planetmarshall 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Removed UserHans Lindqvist:

> ...wanky crimpers...

Sounds painful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...