UKC

Kalymnos Cash Machines - Highway Robbery Warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Oct 2017
We just used one of the new blue and yellow 'Euronet' cash machines that have popped up all over Kalymnos and they charged us €40 to draw out €250. Apparently their quoted exchange rate is shite - so what they are doing isn't illegal but it isn't very nice either.

Avoid like the plague and instead use the ones with a bank logo - like the one by the jewellers in Massouri,

Chris
 john arran 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I noticed that last Spring while out there. Absolute sharks. Right up there with airport ATMs for charging so much for such a trivial service. I expect to see them all over the place very soon, including all the ones in UK convenience stores getting much less reasonable.
 Mike-W-99 20 Oct 2017

I used them a few weeks ago. Just checked my account after our trip and wasn't charged. This was with a prepaid currency card making sure you to select the bill in Euros option and not gbp.
 snoop6060 20 Oct 2017
I used them repeatedly via a Monzo card and they were completely free, monzo did the rate. Did you accept their exchange rate?

Edit: just checked... withdrew €150 and was debited £132 which seams normal. £1 = €1.13
Post edited at 15:26
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Mike-W-99 & snoop:

It was with a TravelEx card preloaded with Euros, I didn't see any option than to accept their exchange rate, I'll have another look at the machine. and report back.

Cheers

Chris
 john arran 20 Oct 2017

From what I recall, I was wanting to use a UK card and there didn't seem to be any option except accepting their absurd exchange rate. Of course I may have missed something in my haste to be outraged!
 snoop6060 20 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

They defo came up with a screen for me to choose and displayed how much in £s you would be charged (less than 1:1) if you choose it. Used a few of them, mainly the one in the supermarket in Masouri.
 Fiona Reid 20 Oct 2017

Hmmm, I used a CaxtonFX prepay Euro card in one of these machines in Masouri two weeks back and I have only been charged the 210€ that I actually asked for.

I remember being asked whether I wanted £ or Euro thus choose Euro otherwise you'll get charged for conversion to £ etc

Perhaps it's an issue to take up with your prepay card?

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Oct 2017

Yes it was out mistake - we selected their exchange rate (no commission!!) and got stung - lesson learnt!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...