UKC

A moment for my flappers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Spent a few hours bouldering at High Sports Crawley today and came away with 4 different flappers on 3 separate fingers. *Dips hands into tub of sudocrem*

I would like to know what different opinions there are on flappers? I used to associate the flap as a result from pushing climbing limits, but now I am more inclined to thank bad technique (gripping too hard/heavy jug use?).

Please discuss your opinions.
Post edited at 19:42
 MischaHY 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Saint.Procrastination:

Don't use sudocreme, it'll soften your skin. A decent quality handbalm is the best option, either something ClimbOn or make your own. We make ours from beeswax, shea butter various essential oils such as lavender and plenty of vitamin E.

As for the flappers, it sounds like your hands are simply not used to extended climbing sessions. How often do you climb?
In reply to MischaHY:
> Don't use sudocreme, it'll soften your skin. A decent quality handbalm is the best option, either something ClimbOn or make your own. We make ours from beeswax, shea butter various essential oils such as lavender and plenty of vitamin E.
Oh! Thanks for that, I'll concoct something asap.
> As for the flappers, it sounds like your hands are simply not used to extended climbing sessions. How often do you climb?

Sounds about right, just had two weeks off due to sprained ankle injury. Did plenty of washing up too lol.
Post edited at 20:00
 Luke_92 21 Oct 2017

Building too big of calluses can be an issue as well. (Not sure that sentence is gramatically correct this early in the morning)

Mine seem to grow quite tall, and then get much easier to tear if I slip off something. I usually either clip them off with fingernail clippers, sand them off with a file (made for this, look on climbing sites to find one) or both. Haven't had a flapper since I started this, but they can get tender if you take off too much as well.
In reply to Luke_92

> Mine seem to grow quite tall, and then get much easier to tear if I slip off something. I usually either clip them off with fingernail clippers, sand them off with a file (made for this, look on climbing sites to find one) or both. Haven't had a flapper since I started this, but they can get tender if you take off too much as well.

Thanks for advice.
 nniff 21 Oct 2017

Depends where your flappers are - tips would be associated with pulling very hard on something very small. On the fingers rather than the tips - poor technique (or bad luck) on jugs
In reply to nniff:

> Depends where your flappers are - tips would be associated with pulling very hard on something very small. On the fingers rather than the tips - poor technique (or bad luck) on jugs

Smack bang in the middle of index and ring fingers on both hands; thanks for confirming it is shoddy technique . I'll work on some slopers and slabs for a while.
 MischaHY 27 Oct 2017

Personal advice would be tape up and carry on. Your hands will get used to the impact and the skin will harden up. Perhaps consider trying to move in a more controlled fashion so as not to be scraping your skin along the hold when you grab it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...