UKC

Sweating like a pig

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 21 Oct 2017
When I'm climbing indoors I find it impossible to keep my hands dry. Whether bouldering or doing routes I find myself with tips that have sweated out in sometimes just one or two moves. Last night I was sweating through liquid chalk before I'd even got on the problem! It's not like I'm pouring sweat, just my fingers can't stay dry. Don't think it's stress/fear related, and it's not usually such a problem outdoors (breeze, cooler, etc.). Any ideas? I'm already wearing shorts and a vest so there's not much leeway there.
 alx 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Thin skin?
In reply to Mr Fuller:
Is it related to internal heat or independent and you get it on hands only when your not actually hot? Could you have palmar hyperhidrosis? Had a friend who had this very badly, but surprisingly it was predominantly indoors that it really affected her.

If it could be that medical condition there could be appropriate simple treatments available, so see your GP, but I’ve heard some start with using anti-perspirants on the hands/fingers!
 jon 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Google hyperhidrosis. Various treatments, probably the most effective and least risky is the electrolysis method.
mike1979 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Mr Fuller:
Antihydral could be the answer.
OP Mr Fuller 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Thanks all, it seems palmar hyperhidrosis isn't that rare and that I have mild symptoms of it. I'll have a look at some of the solutions and in the meantime will try antiperspirants on my fingers!
 stp 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Mr Fuller:

As Mike above said antihydral is very popular with climbers for sweaty hands. I think it might be hard to find in this country but a friend of mine got some on ebay I think. It was £17 for a bottle. Just don't use too much. I think there's US climbing company that does something similar and specifically for climbers - Rhinoskin perhaps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...