UKC

Christmas Cake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 21 Oct 2017

Mrs. has just been making hers. Got me thinking:
How many people actually make their own Christmas cakes nowadays? Sadly not many I fear.
When they are home made how many people(adults)still scrape the mixing bowl out like we did as kids?
Post edited at 13:37
 Yanis Nayu 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

My wife does.
OP mypyrex 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> My wife does.

What, make the cake or scrape the bowl?
 climber34neil 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I've been making my own for the last few years, I think probably because I was amazed at how expensive they can be to buy. I also make sure that every time the cake comes out to get a top up of whiskey that I have one as well, a tradition that I'm investing a lot of time and effort into! Then one of my Christmas highlights is having a slice of the cake with a glass of finest single malt ( Cardhu gold reserve is a current favorite, and looking to get a bottle of the 15 year old Cardhu to try, but that's a different thread altogether!) Christmas Eve evening when everyone else has gone to bed except me, santa and s couple of smelly reindeer
 Yanis Nayu 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I have caught her licking the bowl, but i told her to use the toilet brush instead.
 Timmd 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Good reminder! I'm going to make the family recipe one this year. Need to learn how to apply marzipan and icing sugar.

I've eaten it since childhood, be nice to eat it again.
Post edited at 13:54
OP mypyrex 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I have caught her licking the bowl, but i told her to use the toilet brush instead.
Surely not another Mrs. Num Num!
 BusyLizzie 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I make my own Christmas cake, and I scrape the bowl unless my son gets there first.

Then I wrap up the cake and give it some brandy once a week to keep it happy
OP mypyrex 21 Oct 2017
In reply to climber34neil:

Ours gets done with brandy(VSOP or XO of course)
OP mypyrex 21 Oct 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Then I wrap up the cake and give it some brandy once a week to keep it happy
That would keep me happy

Oceanrower 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Once a week wouldn't keep me happy for long!
In reply to mypyrex:

Thanks for the reminder! I always make my cake, lick the bowl and anoint with brandy. One of the best things about Christmas
In reply to mypyrex:

Don't make Christmas cake, can't see the point in spoiling a lovely rich fruit cake with tedious icing and foul marzipan.

Christmas puddings, however, I do make. The question this year is do I trust that the two large ones I have left from previous years have been faithfully maturing in their alcohol and not bother making more, or do I make some more just in case?

Decisions, decisions...

T.
 spenser 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I regularly bake cakes/ brownies/ flapjacks, the best bit of the process is scraping out the mixing bowl!
You have reminded me that I would like to make one this year .
 Philip 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I make my own, and receive part of both my parents and my in-laws.

This year, I have made a modest 12 x 8 inch, to be marzipan'd tomorrow. Year on year increase due to first a son, then wife deciding she does like it, and now a daughter. We're stopping at two children as the adjustable cake tin only goes to 12" square.

I lick the bowls/spatula, with my son, bowls plural as the mix is over 5 kg and needs two bowls.
In reply to mypyrex:
Since I can barely stomach the stuff: No.
Post edited at 20:26
 Trangia 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I buy Tesco's own marzipan free sliced Christmas Cake.

I can't stand marzipan.
 veteye 21 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I have made my own Christmas Cake for many years, in fact the plan is to put the dried fruit ingredients in a bowl this evening, so that they can soak, and then I can bake the cake tomorrow. It sounds like everyone else has made theirs. My problem is finding the time to do it.
I love marzipan. So my designation as being pre-diabetic is a bloody nuisance. I therefore eat the cake over quite a period of time, along with my daughter.
I still love the tradition of eating Christmas cake with cheese.
Yes I eat what has not gone into the baking tin.
I also eat some of the marzipan when I am making it and putting it onto the cake.
In reply to veteye:

I've made the family cake sine I was about 10/11. I now make the family one and one for our house too. A few yeas ago I think I made 7 in total for family and other people.

Ours doesn't have too much brandy as I'm not keen, also not keen on marzipan or icing so make that easily peel-offable
In reply to mypyrex:

We make ours, big half term tradition. Fruits soaking in brandy now
 veteye 22 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Finally got mine in the oven at 9.45pm tonight, so it's not going to be ready to take out until just before 2am-Damn.
Yet I could not do it on another day in the next few, and I could not do it earlier today.
May go to bed at 12 midnight(so that I can turn it down) for a couple of hours and blearily deal with it a couple of hours after that. Great sleep patterning...
Yet the scrape out of the bowl makes me think that it is worth it...
Wait for the days after Christmas day...Yum.
 Andy Johnson 23 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
We usually get a excellent home-made Christmas cake as a gift from my dad and his wife. Way better than shop bought. Just plain cake - no marzipan or icing. Usually lasts until early/mid Jan and is excellent fuel for outdoor activities.
Post edited at 17:19
 Martin W 24 Oct 2017
In reply to climber34neil:

> I also make sure that every time the cake comes out to get a top up of whiskey that I have one as well, a tradition that I'm investing a lot of time and effort into! Then one of my Christmas highlights is having a slice of the cake with a glass of finest single malt ( Cardhu gold reserve is a current favorite, and looking to get a bottle of the 15 year old Cardhu to try, but that's a different thread altogether!)

If you're spending that much on malt, you should know very well that it's spelled "whisky".

We'll put this one down to a missed typo but you are on a warning.

Hat Dude 24 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Homemade Christmas cake and Christmas Pudding every year

Cake bowl scarcely worth licking since we bought a silicone spoon
 climber34neil 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Fair enough, I'll take my punishment as it is clearly deserved !! In my defense your honour my spaeelung ability was somewhat compromised due to the whisky which I had consumed
 Rob Naylor 24 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> How many people actually make their own Christmas cakes nowadays? Sadly not many I fear.

We do....pudding too. Both always way better than shop-bought!

kathrync 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

We do our own cake and also our own Christmas puddings, mince pies and assorted other treat.

> Don't make Christmas cake, can't see the point in spoiling a lovely rich fruit cake with tedious icing and foul marzipan.

Personally, I love marzipan, although I am not such a fan of icing. However, last year we covered our cake in candied fruit (nice stuff, not crappy mixed peel from the supermarket!) and glazed it, which was really nice. Also, eating your Christmas cake with a good chunk of blue cheese is really tasty and helps cut through the cloying sweetness of all that icing.

> T.

Affavent 25 Oct 2017

I am actually making the cake myself for Christmas and we eat it on the dinner table. Of course there are some presents for my sisters, mum and dad so the atmosphere is awesome
http://www.xmasgiftsforher.ca/for-sisters/
Post edited at 07:14
 squarepeg 25 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

No I dont make it.
I hate icing though, much better without, if u can find one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...