UKC

MTB access in Brecon Beacons near Storey Arms Outdoor Centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MGT 22 Oct 2017
Are the trails / paths near Storey Arms Outdoor Centre footpaths strictly for walkers or can you ride on them? Looking to ride across to Fan Y Big to then on a GAP loop.
In reply to MGT:

Not really. Your best bet is to head 7 or 8km south then take bridleway over to Pontiscill then pick up the Gap loop there.
MGT 22 Oct 2017
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Thanks, I did the ride from the Pontiscill the other week, we just might be staying near Storey Arms hence trying to find a way to the loop from there.
In reply to MGT:

The Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains would benefit hugely from opening up footpaths to bikes. There are excellent trails that can't be legally ridden at the moment. If it was me, I'd drive round to the bottom of the Gap descent and park in the farm field (SO 03841 23751) for £1 and begin the loop from there, taking the rocky track immediately right as you exit the farm gate. If you haven't done it, its a technical, rocky descent that cuts out some road riding and leads you onto Llanfrynach. It means you finish the ride at the end of the descent which I like. Also, if you do the full loop via Dolygaer outdoor centre you can stop at the Old Barn tea rooms in Torpantau for an excellent coffee and cake.
 Trangia 23 Oct 2017
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> The Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains would benefit hugely from opening up footpaths to bikes.

Would they? Or do you mean cyclists would benefit?

I'm not convinced that encouraging more foot and wheeled trafffic in our wild places is nessessarily a good thing for such environments. Quite apart from increased erosion, some of the honey pots like the Brecons are busy enough as they are. One of the reasons for going into the wilds was for the peace and solitude, this is becoming less and less the case.

50 years I could walk the Brecons, even at a weekend and count the number of other people I met on the fingers of one hand. Sadly this is no longer the case.
 Welsh Kate 23 Oct 2017
In reply to MGT:

There's no access on wheels to Fan y Big itself - it's not on a bridleway - but if you're aiming to get to the Gap, you can get to it either by heading south and looping round Pontstic. as others have said, or take the Taff Trail north, then wind through the little lanes immediately north of the escarpment, and then pick up the Gap road at Bailea Farm.
 jezb1 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> 50 years I could walk the Brecons, even at a weekend and count the number of other people I met on the fingers of one hand. Sadly this is no longer the case.

It's great to see more people enjoying the outdoors, surely?

gethin_allen 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:
"50 years I could walk the Brecons, even at a weekend and count the number of other people I met on the fingers of one hand. Sadly this is no longer the case."

So how are you any different to others who want to enjoy the environment? What if you were one of the ones excluded so that the few can enjoy solitude?

Surely the national parks are there for everyone to enjoy and opening up more paths and tracks would spread the load a bit and relieve stress from the busy paths. If you go up Pen-y-fan from storey arms you're normally walking in a line of people but if you walk in from the north it's much quieter or if you head west from storey arms the place is empty.

Chris the Tall 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Would they? Or do you mean cyclists would benefit?

Or the local economy would benefit.

And if we want to help the environment and control numbers, ban cars and make sure everyone walks/cycles from the nearest train station.
 Climbthatpitch 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Personally I am quite happy to let everyone go to the central becons as it leaves the rest of the park quite free of people.

Just across the road on Fan Fawr I hardly see a soul which is nice. Let the main bulk of people have the tick of pen y fan and then the rest of the park is all mine
Rigid Raider 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Quite apart from increased erosion, some of the honey pots like the Brecons are busy enough as they are. One of the reasons for going into the wilds was for the peace and solitude, this is becoming less and less the case.

> 50 years I could walk the Brecons, even at a weekend and count the number of other people I met on the fingers of one hand. Sadly this is no longer the case.

1 - The massive scars on British mountains were not made by mountain bikers but by thousands of Vibram-shod walkers.

2 - National parks have a policy of encouraging visitors to concentrate in small areas, whether they come to visit the towns or to walk in the hills. This means those who are prepared to make an effort can still find empty, tranquil areas elsewhere. Look at the peace of Kentmere compared with the madness of Ambleside and Windermere just a few miles further on.

Trangia 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> 1 - The massive scars on British mountains were not made by mountain bikers but by thousands of Vibram-shod walkers.

Agreed. I didn't say they were

> 2 - National parks have a policy of encouraging visitors to concentrate in small areas, whether they come to visit the towns or to walk in the hills. This means those who are prepared to make an effort can still find empty, tranquil areas elsewhere. Look at the peace of Kentmere compared with the madness of Ambleside and Windermere just a few miles further on.

Fair point. Long my that remain the case

Run_Ross_Run 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:
> 1 - The massive scars on British mountains were not made by mountain bikers but by thousands of Vibram-shod walkers.

The massive scars on quite a few of the mountains in the Brecon Beacons and surrounding mountains have been caused by illegal trail biking.
Post edited at 12:51
In reply to Trangia:

The honey pots will remain honey pots regardless (Pen y Fan) but more of the park, which is fairly empty all of the time, would be accessible for cyclists.
 Webster 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:

just to be that dick... it the Beacons, not the Brecons. There is only one Brecon!
MGT 23 Oct 2017
In reply to MGT:

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...