UKC

Climbing in Catalonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 22 Oct 2017
I was hoping somebody on the forum might know Catalonia well as a climbing destination. Is it a reasonable alternative at this time of year to the Cost Blanca in terms of weather? And for a party climbing largely 5/6 grades.
If so any recommendations for a base with access to plenty of lower grade routes and a choice of accommodation would be appreciated.
 Bulls Crack 22 Oct 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

Well we're there now and it's great. Based in Alos de balageur which is beautiful but probably more convenient to be nearer Camarasa maybe
OP alastairmac 22 Oct 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Thanks. Is there plenty to go at in the lower grades?
 g1m147 22 Oct 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

I can't comment on the weather at this time of year, but I've been there for the last years in early April and had good weather.
As a climbing destination it's great. Loads to do in in grades 5 and 6, single or multi pitch.
We get accommodation when we turn up. There's a bar Fonda in Camarasa village with rooms. There's bar Escalardos in Villanova de Meia with rooms and a bunk type place, they also do food here. There's also Eco refuge in Abella de la Conca, but you would need to pre book this place. I've stayed in all of these places and are all ok.
I bought both guides to the area. Lleida climbs by Pete O'donovan and Roca Espana, but find Lleida climbs is by far the best of the 2.

Gary.
OP alastairmac 22 Oct 2017
In reply to g1m147:

That's great. Really helpful. Thanks Gary.
 tjekel 22 Oct 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

Same is true for margalaf. Stayed there for the christmas new year period in the refugio, an incredible lot of very reasonable grade 5/6 stuff and lots of opportunities to watch real climbers doing their sport
 seankenny 22 Oct 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

There's a bit of climbing and the weather is okay:

http://www.supertopo.com/tr/Puntalunya-Spanish-sports-climbing-for-climbers...

Ciro 22 Oct 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

Catalunia is generally brilliant at this time of year. Near Tarragona the big three of Margalef, Siurana and Montsant have a wealth of great climbing right through the grade range, and there are also good lower grade crags around like Mont-Ral and La Massura.

I don't know the Lleida area as well, but the aforementioned Camarasa is nice and Col de Nargó is stunningly pretty, with plenty to go at in the lower grades.
OP alastairmac 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Ciro:

Thanks for the info.
J1234 23 Oct 2017
In reply to g1m147:

I think the Bar in Vila Nova is called Bar Cierra. Clean and comfortable rooms and the Mini Meracdo is in the street behind. They have loads of books of handwritten climbs with quite a few crags that do not appear in the guidebooks genereally available.
My recomendation for a 6/7 day trip would be 2 or 3 days at Camassarra looking at the crags around here L'Elefantet - Monistir#maps
2 or 3 days at Abella with maybe a day up at collagets or Vila Nova
then
2 or 3 days at Montserrat
which would give you a nice overview of the area for a future trip.
 g1m147 23 Oct 2017
In reply to J1234:

Yes you're quite right about bar Cierra.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...