UKC

NEWS: NEWS - Gandiva (1400m E3/5.11 M5) in Kishtwar Himalaya: Report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Oct 2017
As recently reported, a team of young British alpinists consisting of Uisdean Hawthorn, Ben Silvestre and Pete Graham established a new line up Arjuna South West Pillar (6100m) in the Indian Kishtwar Himalaya, which they have named Gandiva (1400m E3/5.11 M5). We have managed to gather more information on the route and their trip since the team arrived back in the UK.

Read more
 danm 23 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the spooning on this trip?
 Paul Figg 23 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Well done guys, looks and sounds a great adventure, hopefully the start of a successful and safe Himalayan career for you all. Base camp food, always one of the highlights of a Himalayan expedition.
 Misha 23 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:
Looks like a great route and a good write up as well. One of the few Himalayan routes I've read about and thought it would be good to do it one day.
 bensilvestre 24 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Dan - probably only a 6, and that's from the guy who was in the middle of 6-9-6 arrangement. The bivy's were fairly warm except for one so it didn't really serve too well to spoon too hard. Better luck next time.

Paul - thanks, my himalayan career might revolve mostly around touring the eateries of increasingly remote villages henceforth, but i'm sure that's something I can be both safe and successful in

Misha - It was flipping brilliant, and ultimately pretty safe. Would be great to see it repeated
 Rick Graham 24 Oct 2017
In reply to bensilvestre:

> Dan - probably only a 6, and that's from the guy who was in the middle of 6-9-6 arrangement.

I trust you were not using that number config in the sufferbag.
That was not in the design brief

Also V at least 14.0

Well done.

Andy Hyslop 24 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Looks fantastic. Very jealous!! Stay safe.

Andy
 Wee Davie 24 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great trip report.
 Ray Sharples 24 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great read, brings back memories. We had a permit for Arjuna in 1976 but never made the summit (NE Ridge). Memories of a lot more snow then (June/July) but 40 years is a long time ...
In reply to UKC News:
Nice one lads! Rare that these write-ups actually make the route sound fun!
 SenzuBean 25 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Fortunately, this bivy site was exposed to some wind, and we had to spoon with all our might to keep warm that night.

So you were happy it was windy so you had an excuse to spoon?
 GarethSL 25 Oct 2017
In reply to danm:

4rth
 bensilvestre 25 Oct 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

Hahaha, I wondered if anyone would pick up on that, quite subtle I thought! You read correctly

Rick - to be honest it was more of a 666 arrangement... fitting given the horns at the top of the mountain.

Andy - Amazing. You must have been one of the first expeditions to go in there I guess? Although I guess for NE ridge you must have been in the next valley? Incredible place regardless.

Ben
 sheavi07 25 Oct 2017

Nice write up, I enjoyed reading it. Glad you're safe and well.

Carwyn
 bensilvestre 25 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Uisdean's photo blog for any interested parties:

https://www.uisdeanhawthorn.com/arjuna/
 Ray Sharples 25 Oct 2017

Hi Ben

Yes I think we were one of them, although I believe Rob Collister had been in the area the previous year. We drove out in a transit (as you did in those days) but it died on the way back on the Khyber pass with engine problems. Fortunately we then ran into Mike Jones' Dudh Kosi team on their way out to Everest and they brought our kit back. These adventures will stick with you forever!

Cheers
Ray
 dereke12000 26 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Sounds brilliant. Amazing photos on the blog page ! https://www.uisdeanhawthorn.com/arjuna/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...