UKC

Places to camp near Yosemite USA (bear issues?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joekoruk 23 Oct 2017
Heading out to Yosemite in May 2018 for some big wall climbing. Wondering if anyone has campsite recommendations?

Currently thinking El Portal as just outside of the park and therefore won't have issues with length of stay (limited in the Valley).

Being British, I am paranoid about bears, snakes, spiders etc. Wondered if anyone had any experience of camping in/near Yosemite and would be willing to share camp ground recommendations and general US camping advice?
 katyc 24 Oct 2017
In reply to joekoruk:

Hi!

Stayed in Yosemite last week so hopefully the following is a bit useful.

Camp 4 was crazy. We turned up at 5am to try and get in. We were number 41 in the que. There were 20 spaces. Needless to say, we didn't get in that night. Started queing the afternoon before to get a space for the next day. Whilst technically not allowed (as you are not in the camp boundary, you are considered to be 'wild camping'), most nights, rangers seem to turn a blind eye to people 'hanging out' (ie. 'not sleeping') in the Q. There were 15 spaces that night, 8 the day after and 0 the day after. Having said that, September is crazy busy as it's when they allow stays of 30 days from. From what I've heard, May is much quieter but, as you mentioned, length of stay shorter.

Wild camping is not permitted in the park but from chatting to other folk you can sleep in your car OUTSIDE park boundaries perfectly legally.

We stayed at a campsite en route near Coulterville but most campsites outside the park are at least an hour's drive from Yosemite Village which adds a lot to your day.

As for bears----we got to the stage where we were disappointed we HADN'T seen one! Everybody we met told us we we're guaranteed to see bears. We eventually saw 2 Cubs on the way out. The park itself provides bear boxes at all carparks and campsites to put food in. Use them and your car should be fine. The park will fine you if a bear breaks into your car to get food! The outdoor shops all sell bear proof food cannisters to take camping. Spiders and snakes? Didn't see any but I guess all the wildlife will be more prevalent in May after Winter

Not sure I can offer any more but hope that at least alleviate bear anxiety
Have an awesome trip, it's ace!
 Hephaestus 24 Oct 2017
In reply to joekoruk:

The El Portal camping is sweet, with a variety of choice roadside lay-bys all boasting views of the motel, which offers access to toilets and hot tubs to the fleet of foot. No alarms needed for alpine starts as park traffic starts early and the locals will beep and shout good natured abuse. If u fancy something more offensive, it’s also possible to squat in the play park or community centre.

Bears and mountain lions rarely visit El Portal and never eat the residents fruit, veg or household pets. Ham is best kept under a net.

I can see why those pull-outs are always packed
 alasdair19 24 Oct 2017
In reply to joekoruk:

If there is 2 of you should with a bit of discretion be able to double up in your allowance... pretty sure I was there from may 1st so that should allow for 4 weeks of climbing.

Although this was a few years ago when registering yourself as Luke Skywalker was fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...