UKC

Alps high bivi spots with great views?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dannyboon8888 23 Oct 2017
Hi

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, I'm looking for some high camping spots in the alps with good views over any of the glaciers/high peaks that don't require too much technical experience to get to. Im a beginner to alpine climbing, done a lot of hill walking, wild camping and winter stuff on the munros in Scotland. Would be nice to set up somewhere near some of the more technical routes were I could catch some good shots of climbers in the landscape without actually having to do anything technical that I would need a guide for.

Thanks
 alasdair19 23 Oct 2017
In reply to dannyboon8888:

The arben bivvy hut above zermatt has superb views of the n face of the matterhorn
dannyboon8888 23 Oct 2017
In reply to alasdair19:

Will have a look into that one, Thanks mate
 MG 23 Oct 2017
In reply to alasdair19:

Particularly fine from toilet as I recall!
 tjekel 24 Oct 2017
In reply to MG: concerning toilet views ... the old gouter hut had a wonderful ice traverse, depending on conditions, to reach the toilet. Perfect view down the slope ...

Pete Houghton 24 Oct 2017

A short walk from the top of the Aiguille du Midi along the ridge towards the Aiguille du Plan brings you to the top of the Tournier Spur, and a wide, flat platform of rock that comfortably sleeps many people. If you are lucky you might see some monsters climbing on the rarely-visited west face of the Plan, but real appeal is the sunset view you'll get.
This is a glacier approach for exactly 1km, but there are no real technical difficulties to speak of.

Remember a lovely bivi by the Courvercle hut [sp] fine views of Mont Blanc and a big leaning boulder to kip under. Many years ago mind!
 Mark Haward 24 Oct 2017

1 minute from the Index chairlift above Chamonix has some great bivvy / camp options. Walk for ten minutes to get to quieter options. Awesome views of Mont Blanc and lots of nice easier alpine rock routes around. Lots of options near mid station of Aiguille Midi cable car with good views of some major routes. Also, essentially a walk in crampons ( that some find narrow and exposed for a short section ) down from the Midi to the Vallee Blanche with lots of bivvy / tent options on glacier or rocks nearold Abri Simond hut ( sunset to sunrise only please ). Also lots near Torino Hut. Being so close to transport you can take essentials such as lots of camera gear, beer, lots of food etc.
 pneame 24 Oct 2017

2 favourite spots in the Chamonix area - just above the Albert 1iere and just above the Argentiere hut. Both spots have nice little walls and a minimal amount of merde.
cb294 24 Oct 2017

Have a look at the bivies (true bivies, not bivy huts) near the approaches to the Signalkuppe East face routes, just before you have to cross the glacier if you are hard enough for the actual climbs (I am not....).

The face is the most amazing place in the Alps, especially at sunrise.

As suggested for the Arben bivy hut, for a view of the face from the top nothing beats the loo of the Margherita hut!

CB
 Deviant 24 Oct 2017

Great spot right at the base of the Dent du Geant, aptly named 'La Salle a Manger' - the dining room. About 1 hr 45 mins from Torino cable-car.
dannyboon8888 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Thx mate sounds right up my street that
In reply to Mark Haward:

Thanks for the suggestions, and no need to worry about me setting up before sunset don't wanna waste the good light setting up camp
In reply to cb294:

Thanks, will definitely look into this one sunrise always makes the best shots
 Dave 24 Oct 2017

Some good places mentioned but none surpass a bivi at the Pierre a Berenger (2468m) above the Leschaux glacier. Its central location gives a panorama that stretches from the Grand Jorasses, right round the Geant basin, Mt Blanc and the Aiguilles to the Talefre basin and the Verte. Its also flat, grassy and had water when I was there. Perhaps not so good for taking climbers in action photos.
 pneame 26 Oct 2017
In reply to Dave:

That's a place I didn't even know existed - it definitely looks as if it would outshine my favourites!
 Dave 27 Oct 2017
In reply to pneame:

> That's a place I didn't even know existed - it definitely looks as if it would outshine my favourites!

My brother and I found it by serendipity some years ago when looking for a bivy place before the Aig du Talefre the next day. Must go back...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...