UKC

Christmas Decorations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 24 Oct 2017
I saw my first house decorated for Christmas a few days ago. I think we can probably all agree that 20th October is a little early, but when should the decorations go up?

I've always liked the idea of putting them up on Christmas Eve, but gentle pressure from others usually results in them going up around a week before. How about you?

I love Christmas, but tend to think starting it too early spoils it. Christmas Markets will almost make Manchester a no go zone in a couple of weeks.
 Big Ger 24 Oct 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

<slight diversion>

Going into Xmas when it's sunny, and bloody boiling hot, with long days and short nights isn't that weird. Going into winter, with no Xmas, new Years, (and no my birthday,) bloody well is!

< /slight diversion>
 Rampikino 24 Oct 2017

Early December for us. I'm not a fan of being blasted by Christmas from September onwards - it ruins it. I love Christmas but to keep it special it has to be relevant and genuine.
 Pyreneenemec 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Rampikino:

> .......... to keep it special it has to be relevant and genuine.

How do you keep something that is based on superstition and out-dated beliefs relevant and genuine ?
 GrahamD 24 Oct 2017

Advent calendars beginning of December, obviously. Tree and decorations maybe a couple of weeks before hand depending when a convenient weekend falls.

Decorations in shops and mountains of 'essential' Christmas biscuit tins in supermarkets I can just about tune out. Its that standard Christmas dirge CD wall to wall I find hard to deal with.
 Hat Dude 24 Oct 2017

Weekend before Christmas for us and with the exception of making cake & pudding, nothing Christmassy should happen before December and I actually like Christmas!
Jim C 24 Oct 2017

There can of course be reasons that some people put up decorations 'early' , terminal illness , going away over Christmas etc etc, but apart from those reasons, I would not expect anyone to be putting up decorations before 'bonfire night' at the earliest.
 The Lemming 24 Oct 2017
> I saw my first house decorated for Christmas a few days ago.
>

Saw a Christmas Tree up in a house at the start of October.

The Blackpool hotels don't count because they are advertising the festive period, but in a house?

I have been in a few properties where the Tree stays up all year. Now that is weird. You can actually date them CSI style by the amount of dust resting on them.

Post edited at 09:35
 SAF 24 Oct 2017

We've settled on the 10th December (our wedding anniversary) or the weekend there about. We appropriated a small Christmas tree from the plantation down the road on the way back from our wedding last year, so we figured it would make a nice tradition for us.
 wercat 24 Oct 2017

Get your revenge and celebrate Hallow'een in December
In reply to Pyreneenemec:
> How do you keep something that is based on superstition and out-dated beliefs relevant and genuine ?

Oh bah humbug. Some will know that I am a ardent atheist and anything religious turns me right off but Xmas (see, I cant even bring myself to use the C word) is a very different proposition for me and its a time of year I really enjoy.

The cold walks, the great atmosphere, the family stuff (not always), the daft songs, the kids love it, the excuse to buy more single malt and Bailey's, the silly decorations (I love selecting the tree and then sitting back watching my wife and kids decorate it), seeing more friends, the food etc etc. Its doesn't have to be genuine and relevant for it to be fun. One thing I really don't like are the long nights but when 21st December comes, I can see every day getting slightly longer.

And most of all for me is that I save my annual leave up so that I get at least two weeks off, which cant be bad.

I do agree that October is daft and really dilutes the festive season but my wife insists that the whole of December we are decorated. I think this is a bit long personally but who am I to stop her enjoying it the way that she does, and she's not religious either.
Post edited at 10:21
J1234 24 Oct 2017

Whenever you want, its a free country.
However in the totalitarian state of Chez Bedspring, decoractions are vetoed until the 19th December as my sons birthday is the 18th and I want him to have a "proper" birthday.
 Philip 24 Oct 2017

Public ones from early December. I'm not anti starting a bit early, as it's all over very quickly afterwards. That way there is a festive feel when out shopping or having end of year parties.

I like the idea of putting up the decorations about a week before, any earlier an the tree isn't it's best for Christmas week. But with more people buying their trees in early December it's hard to find a good shaped tall tree by the time it gets to around 19th/20th.
 kathrync 24 Oct 2017

My parents always put theirs up the weekend before Christmas. I prefer to do the same, however as my partner works away from home on a 4 weeks on 4 off schedule I sometimes end up doing it earlier than this so that we can do it together.

Anything before December is too early for me!
 Rampikino 24 Oct 2017

Well aren't you just a barrel of laughs. I bet you light up a room when you walk in - especially at Christmas.
 Rampikino 24 Oct 2017
In reply to J1234:

> Whenever you want, its a free country.

> However in the totalitarian state of Chez Bedspring, decoractions are vetoed until the 19th December as my sons birthday is the 18th and I want him to have a "proper" birthday.

Our little girl has hers on 21st December so it's a fine balancing act between preparations for Christmas and making her feel special. We generally go away for the weekend!
J1234 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Rampikino:

> We generally go away for the weekend!

Is she not a bit young to be left on her own?
 Rampikino 24 Oct 2017
In reply to J1234:

> Is she not a bit young to be left on her own?

Boom!

Love it.
 ianstevens 24 Oct 2017

> How do you keep something that is based on superstition and out-dated beliefs relevant and genuine ?

Turn it into a two month long capitalist extravaganza?
 radar 24 Oct 2017
Here at Chateau Radar there are two December birthdays, so Christmas begins a few days after the 7th and most of the decorations come down the 29th in anticipation of a birthday on the 30th. Thought it was really important for them when they were little to have very clear birthdays separate from Christmas, less so now but that is just how it is. Plus gave evil mother-in-law no opportunity to buy one present and say that's Christmas and birthday. Didn't stop her trying...

Wasn't there a Viz top tip about viewing houses in October, if the neighbours had the decorations up indicated how rough the area was?
Post edited at 14:33
 GrahamD 24 Oct 2017

Because its a family and friends holiday at an otherwise nothing time of year. That's what makes it relevant and genuine to many ? Winter festivals (which this is) have always been popular.
Affavent 25 Oct 2017
Personally I put `em up in mid-December. Maybe most of my neighbours already have that done by then already, but the closer to Xmas eve, the better the feeling
 girlymonkey 25 Oct 2017

I go with Dec 1st usually. December can be a dreich month, so colourful decorations seem like just what is needed. I'd keep them up all through Jan too if I was allowed! I feel we should have colourful winter decorations up for good cheer!
 French Erick 25 Oct 2017

Like the song suggests: Xmas eve than it all comes down on the 12th night of Xmas once the 3 wise men came around (epiphany) which also coincide with the French customs of eating cakes to elect kings/queens.

We put the tree up as a family when excitation is at its highest, we make it last a whole pm with special stops eating yummy stuff.

I personally don't care what other people do, if it makes them happy so be it! I will never bow to pressure and my kids SHALL have to wait for the designated family day to do it. They are welcome to do so in others family before time if they feel left out.

On a practical point of view, I need to buy the tree before otherwise none are left, but it's kept outside where it won't start shading needles early for being in a too hot environment. Only 12 days of mess is also nice.
 john arran 25 Oct 2017

We have a small fir tree in our courtyard that's had one string of fairy lights in place all year, mainly because it's pretty and my young daughter likes it. Nothing particularly Christmassy though.

In France, at least in Ariège, there's almost no sign of impending Christmas until well into December. Which is great.
 DerwentDiluted 25 Oct 2017

My birthday is Christmas Eve so I never get a 'proper' birthday, it's always an addendum to Christmas, and in our house the decorations go up when I get told they are going up...

Bah Humbug.
 Trangia 25 Oct 2017
Like you my family always put up the decorations and decorated the tree on Christmas Eve, and then they stayed up strictly for just the 12 days of Christmas. So much nicer, and traditional.

Now that I live on my own i don't bother with them.
Post edited at 09:00
 Doug 25 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

When I first moved to France I was impressed that Noël didn't start till well into December (although the St Nicholas parades etc on the 6th December confused me at first). But in recent years, shops have started displays & the town decorations have gone up earlier & earlier & although not as bad as the UK, French Christmases do seem to start in November, at least in/around Paris.
 mypyrex 25 Oct 2017

We were in Asda yesterday and walking past the cereals I noticed packets of Kellogg's cornflakes adorned with nothing more than the company name and product and a Father Christmas face. I am still wondering about the point of putting such a picture on such a mundane, non seasonal item. It's not as if people buy cornflakes solely for Christmas
Lusk 25 Oct 2017

> Christmas Markets will almost make Manchester a no go zone in a couple of weeks.

The markets are great, loads of free beer!
And we get our tree at closing time on the last day for a fiver (they want to get rid of them).
OP The New NickB 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> The markets are great, loads of free beer!

Free beer? My experience is unpleasant crowding and crap, overpriced beer, served in plastic.
 Skip 25 Oct 2017

The way to do it is thus. Celebrate the Winter Solstice instead, a real event (shortest day), limit celebrations to the day before and after. Job done.
 nniff 25 Oct 2017

Some time in the first two weeks of December usually. We left it a bit late last year and the only Christmas trees left looked as though a swarm of locusts had got there first. My initial purchase was rejected by SWMBO and I was sent away to do better. In conseuqnece, the second one was the most expensive, least attractive tree we've ever had - I still contend that it had a quaint, off-kilter, 'ah bless' sort of charm, but I suspect that I will not be trusted to go out on my own this year.

My wife and I are allowed to buy one extravagant bauble a year each - after 27 years they're quite a decent collection of tat, whose provenance over the years seems to have shifted from Scandanavia to China.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...