UKC

Chee tor girdle this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nuts and bolts 24 Oct 2017
Thinking of climbing on peak limestone this weekend. Can someone please advise on potentially suitable routes around hvs/E1?
Was thinking of chee tor girdle but suspect this may suffer seepage given recent weather?
 MischaHY 24 Oct 2017
In reply to nuts and bolts:

Obvious choices are Sirplum (E1 5b) and the neighbouring E1 (the name escapes me) at Chee Dale Upper. Excellent routes in a very exposed position and usually dry.

Have fun!
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done Sirplum and is a brilliant route. Not done the Super Indirect which I think is the other E1 you are referring to.
Was wondering particularly about conditions on chee tor as I am the purile ticker and looking to tick off another Hard Rock route. However don't want to be sliding about on wet polished limestone iff the route gets seepage.
 Jon Stewart 24 Oct 2017

I haven't been there this year, but October after a wet summer says to me it will be disgusting. Someone might be along who has actually been though...

I'm a bit of a Chee Tor optimist, so reckon it'll be fine...ish...

The Girdle itself actually stays remarkably dry (even in rain), although there's no denying that the recent spell of wet weather - which has been prolonged - will have taken its toll. As such, expect seepage in/around the last couple of (unfortunately crux) pitches. Whilst the dampness won't make it any easier, it is possible (particularly if you've got a grade or two in hand, which you do) and if it isn't then bear in mind you're traversing along a line of in-situ lower-offs - as such it's not exactly committing!

As for whatever else will be dry, the rest of the week looks surprisingly good, so with a bit of luck Meditation - the best E1 in Chee Dale - will be dry. Sure there'll be others too.

Let us know how you get on too, always nice to hear a report back!
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Thanks Rob thats really good advise to have.
 sopaz 24 Oct 2017

We did it recently in the rain - great fun. As said it's really well protected so you should be fine even if its a bit damp. My main concern would be crossing the log over the river!
In reply to sopaz:

to be fair, that is a genuine concern currently as the river is raging well over the stepping stones higher up the dale; however, judging by the forecast it should be ok come the weekend - just don't fall in!!

In reply to sopaz:

Is there not a footbridge further upstream?

there is, and it is necessary to cross this too, but you still have to cross the river further down (just opposite Chee Tor itself).

Once you're on the walkway, keep an eye out to your right for a fallen tree that you can use to cross the river - this will save you a cold/wet wade further downstream.

ok. Thanks Rob.
 Misha 24 Oct 2017

> Once you're on the walkway, keep an eye out to your right for a fallen tree that you can use to cross the river - this will save you a cold/wet wade further downstream.

Unless you fall in off the tree... has happened!
 Misha 24 Oct 2017
Debauchery on High Tor is superb. Tends to get better weather as well as it's outside the main Peak area.
In reply to Misha:

Funnily enough I've been trying to track that guy down, been writing a destination article for the crag and thought it'd be cool to include an interview with him - apparently it was his first time at the crag too.

Poor guy...
In reply to Misha:

Yes done debauchery as well. Only route on high tor still to do within my grade is Darius but not fit enough for it at present ( more climbing, fewer pies!)
 steveb2006 24 Oct 2017

Another hard rock tick is Alcasan at Stoney - a little above the grade range you specify though - and equally competent second required.

Re Chee Tor - I usually take a pair of wellies for wading. Also useful for the apporach path at the bottom of the valley (from Wormhill) which can be very muddy.
In reply to steveb2006:

Yes, also on my tick list. Might be a bit breezy for that this weekend though.
 Jon Stewart 24 Oct 2017

I think Darius would be reasonably hard for E3 btw, if you can do Darius you'll be fine on Perseus too (it's a bit easier and only slightly bolder).
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Ok. I have been going by an old guide that gives Darius E2 5c. Always known it was hard at that grade but didn't know it was upper end E3.
 Jon Stewart 24 Oct 2017

It's never been given e3 (but scoop wall has!), but i'd put it somewhere in the middle of e3.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yeah, Scoop Wall spat me out and I found it desperate following my mate up it. Friend of mine did it when it was graded HVS.
 Wil Treasure 24 Oct 2017

> Funnily enough I've been trying to track that guy down...

Can put you in touch if you like.

spidermonkey09 24 Oct 2017

That tree is a total deathtrap! I nearly blew it in the middle of summer so god knows what its like now.
 kristian Global Crag Moderator 24 Oct 2017

Apparently someone has nailed chicken wire to the slippery log. The video of something falling in was particularly amusing.
 Michael Hood 24 Oct 2017
In reply to steveb2006:

Crocs are as good as wellies, you don't worry about water over the top -
 Michael Hood 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

E1 5b in the pale blue 80s Derwent Valley guidebook.
 Ian Parsons 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Crocs are as good as wellies, you don't worry about water over the top -

The odd scaly carnivore would certainly liven things up.
 Michael Hood 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Goes nicely with the giant rhubarb
 Ian Parsons 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

I'm sure crocodiles need their fibre, just like the rest of us.
In reply to spidermonkey09:

You must be thinking of a different log mate

Besides, if what Kristian says is true - and someone has indeed put chicken wire over it - it'll be a path compared to what it used to be like. I'm just amazed that someone went to the effort to do that?!?
 Misha 24 Oct 2017

Chicken wire? So much for trad ethics... Whatever next, lower offs at the crag? Oh...
In reply to steveb2006:
Delicatessen ?

Well so much for the plan. All my climbing mates have other plans (building a house, in Normandy and working) so if anyone out there fancies a climb this weekend give me a shout. Will put a post up for partner wanted as well.

Well, did the girdle this morning. we were pinned to the rock by the sun and rock was in excellent condition bar one wet patch on pitch 5. Glorious route at that grade - a real traditional route including dog roses and leaf mould.
I can confirm that the artificial aid of chicken wire is still in situ on the log. No crocodiles spotted however.
Thanks to all for the advice - it all contributed to a great day out.
 TobyA 29 Oct 2017

Sounds lovely, it's been a jolly nice day in the Peak today. Put your report on the "what did you climb this weekend?" thread and get this weeks ball rolling.
 Ian Parsons 29 Oct 2017

> No crocodiles spotted however. >

Ah - but they will have spotted you, though!
 johncook 29 Oct 2017

Now you have done one. the challenge is three Peak limestone girdles in a day. I did them many years ago, when one of the three allowed a pull on a peg (or two!).
Routes are Chee Tor Girdle, Alcasan, Pendulum. A long day of great climbing. Wait for plenty of day light and go!

Nice one! That’s made my day, really glad you got out to do it
In reply to johncook:

yes that sounds like a great challenge until you contemplate doing all the derbyshire Hard Rock routes in a day. Sounds impossible but a friend of mine has done them, Starting at god knows what time on Debauchery at High Tor and touching down from the abseil off Alcasan at 2130. Needless to say it was around midsummer. An awesome achievement.
i am sure others have done it but must be a select few.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...