UKC

Latest on light breathable soft-shell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 24 Oct 2017
My Montane Scarab jacket is coming apart at the seams and its DWR is long gone.

What's the latest greatest on the kit these days. I'm after slim but not skinny fit (e.g. Montanes cut rather than Rab), a hood, a fair level of showerproofing and crucially very breathable (no membrane) and not too warm.

Mainly for cycling and general mountain use - not much climbing going on at the moment (kids!)

I like the look of the Montane Dyno or Patagonia Nano-Air light so far but am after other recommendations to try on.
 catherine4331 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Not sure if I'd call the Nano-Air light a softshell, it's more a lightweight insulation piece.

Worth looking at the Simond Softshell if cost is a concern. Cheapest softshell of that type I've seen, and simond gear is consistently very good for the price.
 aldo56 24 Oct 2017

My most worn bit of clothing in the world ever is a Rab Vapour Rise Alpine Jacket. If it fits you, get one, you will love it for those activities. Once the DWR goes, give it wash and a recoating with some Grangers spray.
 BnB 24 Oct 2017

The Montane Dyno is perfect for cycling over Autumn and Winter. Pockets are many and voluminous. Warm but breathable. Only weakness is the hood can't be tied back so it flaps about. Also very good for cragging. Bargain price too. What are you waiting for?
In reply to catherine4331:

I've got one of these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-blk-for-600-windbreaker-id_8355668.html

It's close-fitting, and the hood isn't too great, but it's not bad. Fabric and build is decent, as usual. Pockets are raised above harness/waistbelt level but they're a bit small. £30 (though I paid £22, IIRC).

I prefer the discontinued Forclaz 900 'soft spread' jacket, with a lighter shell fabric with hexagonal patches of bonded velour insulation, which serves a similar purpose to a VR. I prefer it to a real VR...

Here's the Simond; a bit more refined, judging by the quick look I had in the Chamonix shop:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/men-blue-light-mount-softshell-id_8386970.html
Post edited at 20:16
 Wee Davie 24 Oct 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

That Simond looks excellent. Been eyeing that particular jacket up for a while. I've got a pair of their Winter softshell trousers which are superb value for money. Can see a letter to Santa being next on the agenda....
 nathan79 24 Oct 2017

I'd go with the Montane Dyno. I bought one earlier this year and I highly rate it.

I find Montane fit generally to be too skinny in the arms, particularly forearms (I find the same with Rab actually) but the Dyno is so stretchy it wasn't an issue.

Home now, and playing with the Forclaz 600.

Arms are slim, long and unarticulated. Cuffs are pretty loose, and have thumb loops; I can pull the cuff over my elbow. Shoulder is a weird raglan/cap hybrid, due to the way the side panel meets the shoulder. There's a seam across the top of the shoulder.

Pockets aren't quite clear of my hips, but I do have a short back. And they are narrow, but deep, extending to the hem. From pocket zip, to jacket zip is about 5", so I have to make fists to get my hands in the pickets up to the wrist. The chest pocket is similarly weird, being narrow and tall, reaching right up to the shoulder seam.

The hood is a simple 3-panel design, with a soft peak, and no volume adjustment or cinching around the face. It moves well with the head, though.

The hem is simple, with no elastication. Main zip is single-ended, YKK 5C coil.

Oh yes; remembered why I didn't buy one of the Simonds in Chamonix; they're cheaper in the UK...
Post edited at 22:47
 BenedictIEP 24 Oct 2017
"slim but not skinny fit"

For a fat lad like you?!

I've been lustfully looking at a Mountain Equipment Squall since looking at one in a shop recently (they seem the bee's knees). unfortunately, they didn't have my size to try on so I'm going to stick with what I have for now.
Post edited at 22:45
Removed User 24 Oct 2017
In reply to BenedictIEP:

When you say size do you mean 7-9 year old?
Removed User 24 Oct 2017
In reply to BnB:
I'm pretty much sponsored by Montane these days but have some issues with a delaminating Minimus which I've sent back to them. I'll wait for the outcome I think before I put more trade their way. Dyno looks good though.

Can anyone comment on the Nano-Air DWR? I'm too much of a dandy for Decathalon kit these days sadly, not that I'm knocking it!
Post edited at 22:54
 Wee Davie 24 Oct 2017

>I'm too much of a dandy for Decathalon kit these days sadly

Eh?
 Wee Davie 24 Oct 2017

If you're struggling to offload any of your millions I'll PM you my a/c and sort code.
 lithos 24 Oct 2017

if interested i have a scarab for sale as i have 2 - blue medium it has one teeny tiny hole/pull apart from that excellent nick
Removed User 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Wee Davie:

What I mean is I'm after spending a little more on something with slightly more finesse than otherwise perfectly adequate offerings from the likes of Decathalon or similar. Bit like buying a VW over a Ford eh?
 Pipecleaner 24 Oct 2017
ME squall, great hood, almost indestructible, breathes well. I use mine, running, cycling, climbing and even drinking coffee. Fit is slim so id try first. I'd highly recommend one if it fits..brilliantly designed piece...

DWR on my nano air hoody (not light) is pretty good tho after 3 years of abuse not as good as new. That said water very rarely gets right through and when it has its still been comfy! I would say its pretty slow to dry compared to my other synthetics...but probably more comfy to wear wet than they are...yin/yang!

> I'm too much of a dandy for Decathalon kit these days sadly

Why didn't you say...?

https://veilance.arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/isogon-hooded-jacket
 BnB 25 Oct 2017

> I'm pretty much sponsored by Montane these days but have some issues with a delaminating Minimus which I've sent back to them. I'll wait for the outcome I think before I put more trade their way. Dyno looks good though.

> Can anyone comment on the Nano-Air DWR? I'm too much of a dandy for Decathalon kit these days sadly, not that I'm knocking it!

I wouldn't cycle in a Nano Air of any type. I have the classic and the hybrid light and they are autumn/winter mountaineering pieces really. Or for cragging on cooler days when you're stood belaying on the wind. Simply too warm for high output in anything other than alpine/scottish conditions.
Removed User 25 Oct 2017
Steady on - I'm not an Audi driver.
Post edited at 08:56
Removed User 25 Oct 2017
In reply to BnB:

Good shout - I'll have to justify the Nano-air some other way! WInter sledging with the kids maybe?!
 nathan79 25 Oct 2017

WOW! What on Earth justifies that price tag?! I mean I know it's Arc'teryx but come on!
In reply to nathan79:

That's one of their cheaper products.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...