UKC

Petzl ultra rush - too heavy for running?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 24 Oct 2017
As the nights are getting darker I'm thinking of treating myself to a new head torch. I use a myo rxp just now and these last few days I've found myself slowing down and or tripping up as it's started to get dark enough to need light.

I run every day on narrow forest tracks and basically want as much light as I possibly can and don't mind paying for something decent but I've never had a head torch of that weight before and I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used one for running and how they found it. Im only usually out for 30 minutes or so but occasionally do hill runs up to two hours (which I'd wear a back pack for anyway so could stow the battery).

I know you can get head torches with a higher lumen output and for a lot cheaper but I like the look of the light spread on the ultra and to be honest I've always wanted one since they first started making them years ago.
 airborne 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Sharp:

You're probably better off with the Petzl NAO, a lot lighter and cheaper.
In reply to airborne:

Yep Latest Petzl Nao+ 750 Lumens
Rear light, You can almost stretch a couple of hours from it on full power....and it's extremely Stable & comfy
 Luke90 24 Oct 2017
In reply to airborne:

Yeah, I've got the Nao and it's great. You can certainly get brighter lights, particularly if you look at ones that are aimed at mountain biking, but I think the Nao is plenty for running. The adaptive lighting thing seemed like it could be a gimmick but I get on really well with it.
 steveriley 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Sharp:

I'd go for the Nao+ of the Petzls. I've got a Reaktik+ which looks to be about half the weight of the RXP for slightly LESS light ...whereas the Ultra Rush is double the weight. I used to use a generic Cree and the extra weight got on my nerves on longer runs.
OP Sharp 25 Oct 2017
In reply to airborne:

Cheers for everyone's replies. I did look at the nao+, there's a couple of good reviews of the two I've read and maybe it is a more sensible option. I do like the simplicity of the ultra though, big battery, big array of bulbs, built like a tank - but perhaps the draw back of it's weight makes it less practical. Looks like the nao gets 90 mins at 530lm vs 2 hours at 760lm for the ultra.

https://headlamps101.com/petzl-ultra-rush-headlamp-review-january-2017/
https://headlamps101.com/petzl-nao-plus-headlamp-review/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...