UKC

Home bouldering wall route setting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew Wilson 24 Oct 2017
Has anyone had their home wall set by a professional?
I have built a half decent wall in my garage, and have acquired loads of great holds but a great bouldering wall doth not make , or something like that. Maybe I lack imagination.

I would love to get some properly set graded circuits put up and a selection of decent problems, by someone who knew what they were doing.

What would be the going rate for this, if there was someone willing to do it? (In Halifax)

Andy
 French Erick 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

invite a few pals, each of you set 1 easy, 1 medium, 1 hard problems and 1 circuit each. depending on the size take a photo of the wall and circle holds on pic. No need for professionals, have fun with pals!
 duchessofmalfi 24 Oct 2017

It's more fun setting than using...
Tomtom 24 Oct 2017
Going rate will depend on size of wall, and how much you want setting. Pop a link up to a photo if you can, or give an idea of size, and I'll sort something for you I'm harrogate based so happy to pop over to halifax.

As a rough guestimate, 15-25 problems for a days setting, depend on difficulty, and ease of setting (hold selection, angles etc). A day will cost you anywhere between 80 and 150 depending on the setter!

Also, if you fancy it, I don't mind coming and doing a half day with you, to get you started, help out with a few dos and donts! Would be better for you in the long run, to give the confidence to reset by yourself!
Post edited at 23:59
 SamAllen 25 Oct 2017

Hi Andrew,
I've just seen this message and would be happy to come over, set the wall and give you a few pointers on resetting and training. I live in Huddersfield and set regularly at ROKT with my friend George Atherton - who would also come and help set. If you could let me know when you are free, what size and angle the wall is and the grade range that you would want setting it would be very useful.
All the best Sam
 Durbs 25 Oct 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> It's more fun setting than using...

Hah - glad it's not just me!
OP Andrew Wilson 25 Oct 2017
In reply to French Erick:

> invite a few pals, each of you set 1 easy, 1 medium, 1 hard problems and 1 circuit each. depending on the size take a photo of the wall and circle holds on pic. No need for professionals, have fun with pals!

Hi Erick, yes I have done that before but it's time for a full re-set I think.

As I said, I think I lack the necessary imagination! It takes me ages too which is time wasted. I'm against the clock when I sneak out into the garage for a play (mrs w does not climb) !

Andy
In reply to Tomtom:
Thanks Tom, that's really helpful , will pm you. I'll post a Dropbox link later this eve.

Thanks!

Andy
Post edited at 19:49
In reply to SamAllen:

Cheers Sam, will pm you later. Check out the photos in the Dropbox when I post it later if you like.
The pics are a bit rubbish as I can't get far enough away from the wall to get a decent shot due to all the shelving in there.
I go to rokt a bit, just started going again once in a while. The new circuits are good.

Thanks

Andy
 struds 25 Oct 2017

I have my own garage wall and after a year or so got a well known professional setter in - it cost about £150 for a days work (8am-3ish)

bottom line - it was well worth the money, he set 10 or so blocs and 4 circuits that kept me busy for the next 6-8 months and I significantly enjoyed the wall more than more anything I set.
In reply to struds:

Yes! This is exactly what I would like.

SamAllen 25 Oct 2017

Cheers Andrew,
The Wall looks really good and we are more than happy to reset it for you. I am going to brimham on thursday and may be training on friday but you can PM and we can arrange for a time which suits you.
All the best Sam
 French Erick 26 Oct 2017

Fair enough! I enjoy setting hence my reaction. I find it even more fun with folks around. Hope to bump into you (again? Think we met in CIC) on the frozen stuff.
OP Andrew Wilson 26 Oct 2017
In reply to French Erick:

Yes, I remember. Won't be long now. . .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...