UKC

Tour du Mont Blanc - September

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 28 Oct 2017
I came across a few clips on Youtube last night of which this is one:
youtube.com/watch?v=9X2Sfxw0ct4&
I believe some of the weather I encountered in early September was unseasonably bad but this clip and others I have looked at suggest it got worse within a relatively short space of time.
Lusk 28 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Looks great.
I'd certainly be a lot happier with snow than rain!
Coincidentally, just ordered the TdMB guidebook, lots of planning and training regimes to be sorted if I have a go next year.
 aostaman 29 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

You were really unlucky we went to Aosta just after that little bad spell and had 10 glorious days. Sometimes mountains just aren't fair!.

The only shame was that because of the unseasonable wet and cold they closed all the mid level huts like 'Elena'.
OP mypyrex 29 Oct 2017
In reply to aostaman:

> You were really unlucky we went to Aosta just after that little bad spell and had 10 glorious days. Sometimes mountains just aren't fair!.

And I'm now torturing myself looking at the scenery on the web images that I should have seen
Just hope I can persuade the Mrs that I've got to go back next year!
OP mypyrex 29 Oct 2017
In reply to aostaman:

> The only shame was that because of the unseasonable wet and cold they closed all the mid level huts like 'Elena'.

Yes, I noticed in the clip that the chap was using the winter room at Elena.

jon 29 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

There'll always be early snow storms in the Alps - September/ October time. However, these will often be followed by weeks and weeks of great clear weather which can extend into December (or not!) - the snow often stays on the northerly aspects and forms a base for the winter though if it's exceptionally mild it can disappear. I've had some of my most memorable climbing days in October and November, climbing on crags at 2500m and more in light summer clothes. No one around, the place to ourselves. Of course the days are shorter and the nights are colder, but that's the price you pay... We even made the FA of this route in the valley of Tré les Eaux above Vallorcine on the 2nd December in glorious sunshine: Alors, heureuse...? (6b+) Snowed 60cm the next day, mind...
Lusk 29 Oct 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> And I'm now torturing myself looking at the scenery on the web images that I should have seen

Turn off your computer and get out on them hills on your doorstep.
It looks like a good day out there.

OP mypyrex 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Lusk:

> Turn off your computer and get out on them hills on your doorstep.

> It looks like a good day out there.
I would, were it not for me being on (big scale) cooking duty today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...