UKC

Music at the crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davidrblakeman 29 Oct 2017
I have been climbing for many years now and have enjoyed music down the indoor wall, at home and while traveling to the crag..

But recently while climbing outside at the cuttings on Portland I was surrounded by several loud Bluetooth speakers. I found it really antisocial and distracting. Even though some of the music was my taste.

I wonder what people's opinions are on this....

Should I have said something or stopped being a grumpy old man and let tunes pump out!

( Not sure I can stop being a grumpy old man :-p)

duchessofmalfi 29 Oct 2017
My opinion is that it is bloody antisocial.

The soundscape is part of the environment and occupying it with unnecessary, unwanted and waste noise is aural littering.

If there is no one else in ear shot then fair game but as soon as someone is in ear shot (and that means anyone in the remote vicinity, chance happening that people might be walking by etc) shut if off, because annoying sound really travels -- it is rude and antisocial not to -- put headphones on if you must.

My experience is that boulders and especially sport climbers seem to be prone to this ill-behaviour, I don't ever recall trad climbers with boomboxes.

baron 29 Oct 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

You're about to be bombarded with tales of trad climbers, gramaphones and transistor radios!
 danm 29 Oct 2017

> My experience is that boulders and especially sport climbers seem to be prone to this ill-behaviour, I don't ever recall trad climbers with boomboxes.

You were on for a 10/10 until you blew it with that last sentence.

Personally, I'm looking forward to crushing some problems in the Peaks this afternoon, I just need to find my mini-rig first.
Andy Gamisou 29 Oct 2017
In reply to davidrblakeman:

> ( Not sure I can stop being a grumpy old man :-p)

You could always try a spot of gender realignment. Not sure it would help with your tolerance of unwanted noise pollution though.

peppermill 29 Oct 2017

Oh I dunno. I used to think the same but nowadays music at the crag serves to drown out the inane buzzing of those effing drones that seem to become ever more popular.

Yours sincerely,

28 in body, 58 in mind.
 jon 29 Oct 2017

> My experience is that boulders and especially sport climbers seem to be prone to this ill-behaviour, I don't ever recall trad climbers with boomboxes.

Hmmm, Afterburner (E5 6a) There was no one around for about a mile! Mind you, I hate it now and find it as antisocial as you do!
 mickyv33 29 Oct 2017
On a related note what are people's thoughts on live music at the crag?
I witnessed a guy playing digeridoo at Font and it was one of my fondest memories of the trip. Spurred us all on to try harder.
 wercat 29 Oct 2017

it would be pretty poor if you couldn't hear the sound of wild birds and the other ambient sounds of the cragside, from giant hexes jangling in enormous racks to MOACs going in, etc etc. Personally I'm at an age when I need to hear myself think and be able to communicate with belay-control without jamming ...
 wercat 29 Oct 2017
In reply to mickyv33:

That would be a different matter, as long as perhaps was not the Red Army Ensemble or similar
 Fruit 29 Oct 2017

Weirdest accompaniment I’ve ever had was the live broadcast of Friday prayers from the mosque near Palm Tree Gorge in Morocco, really psyched me out!
In reply to Fruit:

Whilst doing geological field work eons ago near Loch Eriboll I heard someone playing some kind of pipe absolutely beautifully. Just a few phrases, then it would stop, then a few minutes later it would restart. I walked over to where the sound seemed to be coming from, but couldn't see anyone. This happened on about three separate days; I never saw a soul. I don't (generally) believe in ghosts, so I suppose this person just liked to operate surreptitiously.

I can't stand canned music in the wilds though. I like to listen to the sounds of nature. Also, I don't understand why someone would want to listen to music with headphones on in the great outdoors, however fond of music. Natural sounds are one of the dimensions of nature. Birdsong is a wonder to behold.
 planetmarshall 29 Oct 2017

> I wonder what people's opinions are on this....

Get a bigger and louder speaker than everyone else.
 BusyLizzie 29 Oct 2017

Canned music yuk.

But one day a while ago there was a trumpeter at Fairy Cave Quarry; not loud in that big space, and srt of haunting. I think it miight have been when there were some arty sculptury things there. It was lovely.
In reply to baron:

Indeed! Belle Vue Bastion FA leaps to mind, a gramophone was definitely involved
In reply to peppermill:

That's the obvious solution threaten the own of the speaker with the sound of a drone

Haha
 mrchewy 29 Oct 2017
In reply to mickyv33:
Probably Serge - I rocked up at Montserrat with him and out came his digeredoo and his mate had one of those drum box things. The crag was crowded but no one seemed to mind.
Post edited at 18:47
 PaulTanton 29 Oct 2017
Nooooo. Stop it now. Climbers have , in general, always been a conciderate bunch. Being out on the crag is always a priveledge. Why do some people want to ruin it for everyone around them.
I’d have no problem telling people to bin the music.
 Rog Wilko 30 Oct 2017
It's a bit like the boy racers in their customised Fiesta driving up and down the high street/sea front/wherever, all windows open, blasting out some trash. Look at/listen to me and marvel at my taste in music. Occasionally this can happen on a campsite - I remember one occasion turning on my car lo-fi full volume with a bit of Shostakovich fifth symphony. The message was received.
BTW, re didgeridoo, once heard one being played in Robin Hoods Cave at Stanage. That was great - for a bit.
Post edited at 17:39
 rocksol 30 Oct 2017

Playing music outdoors at the crag is selfish noise pollution and anti social A few times it's happened to us we usually invite the antisocialite to rethink their view or perhaps suffer the consequences
Once happened to us at the Brevent crags but normal quiet service was soon resumed Anyone know what a soundbox costs?
 Goucho 30 Oct 2017

I often like some music when I'm climbing, that's why I own an iPod complete with earphones!
 HammondR 30 Oct 2017
Even came across this 2 years ago in winter skinning across the Valley Blanche towards Helbronner. Group of youngsters seemed to think it essential to have a racket to fully enjoy this otherwise dull place.

My curmudgeonly old chum politely pointed out that no one else wanted this enhancement to their experience, and the situation was satisfactorily resolved.

olddirtydoggy 30 Oct 2017

I noticed cragging in California that crag music seems to be more accepted. I was horrified that somebody would bring a pair of speakers to a place like that but the locals seemed to be ok with it. A sad experience.
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Strange... I've climbed in CA quite a lot and never heard music at the crags (only in the campsites, which are often very close to the crags, e.g. at JT).
 olddirtydoggy 31 Oct 2017
In reply to John Stainforth:

Castle rock just above Saratoga. We met up with a local from that place a bit like Blackpool, can't remember the name of it and he did say it was sadly common place there.
Rigid Raider 31 Oct 2017

It's odd that in this day and age of relaxed social manners, anything goes, media-inspired openness and general tolerance there are still people who selfishly impose their bad manners and crap taste on others by playing loud music at home, in the car or outdoors, as well as littering and just generally behaving like oafs. We flew to Amsterdam recently and just as the plane was ready for departure two women fell through the door, either drunk or stoned and proceeded to battle their way down the aisle to sit two rows behind us where they bantered in the crudest possible way and shrieked with laughter. I saw an elderly lady in the same area hanging her head in shame and embarrassment at the disgusting assault; the KLM cabin crew told them to shut up, which they did until the moment the plane landed when they started up again. It really was a nightmare flight; I don't know how people have sunk so low that they think this behaviour is acceptable.

No to music at the crag. I like to hear the sounds of nature and also wouldn’t want anything to drown out my screams of take, take, take, take, TAKE!

Plus it is antisocial. Maybe ok if you’re the only group there but then have respect when others turn up, either ask if they mind or shut it off.
 Jimbo C 31 Oct 2017

When I go climbing outside (or walking for that matter), I want to be away from the hustle and bustle of normal life and enjoy somewhere less populated and more remote than the city. For me, it's no music at the crag.
 paul mitchell 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Jimbo C:

Imagine a banjo in the Burbage quarries.Martin Veale had a bad foot,so played it....the banjo,not his foot.
 pec 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> It's odd that in this day and age of relaxed social manners, anything goes, media-inspired openness and general tolerance there are still people who selfishly impose their bad manners and crap taste on others by playing loud music at home, in the car or outdoors, as well as littering and just generally behaving like oafs. >

Surely its the former which contributes in large part to the latter, i.e. the anything goes mentality explains why people do wtf they want?

Tom Valentine 01 Nov 2017

Agree totally.
Furthermore, even if I believed my musical tastes to be superior to anyone else's on the crag, I wouldn't dream of imposing my choice on them.
It shows precisely the same mindset as knobsacks who drive around in their cars with the volume pumped up and the windows down.
 Jimbo C 01 Nov 2017
In reply to paul mitchell:

> Imagine a banjo in the Burbage quarries.Martin Veale had a bad foot,so played it....the banjo,not his foot.

Banjo duel from Deliverance? Now that would be spooky in the quarries.
 Allovesclimbin 01 Nov 2017

No, it's not acceptable. Have come across it abroad and closer home - Kyloe in for instance - when the birds were singing and the wind rustling the leaves ...grr! They did , to be fair , turn it right down when asked .
Have also had bongo drummers at Bowden , which , although a bit intrusive, was at least 'live' music and atmospheric at dusk!
 EdS 01 Nov 2017

anti-social and illegal unless they have a PPL licence.
Rigid Raider 01 Nov 2017

On the other hand, the ethereal sound of alpenhorns echoing around an Alpine valley is something I love to hear.....
 Chris_Mellor 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Knobsacks is almost as good an insult as cockwomble. No Tom, it's better.
 Rog Wilko 02 Nov 2017
>..... people who selfishly impose their bad manners and crap taste on others

In my view it's got nothing to do with taste. If people were playing any of my favourite pieces of music (*irony advance warning* ) and I think I have very good taste, at the crag I would object just as strongly.
Post edited at 09:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...