UKC

Cambridge climbing - flogging a dead horse?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 29 Oct 2017
Looks as if I might be based in Cambridge for the next couple of months and there seems to be a real dearth of climbing opportunities in the area. Have I missed anything tucked away somewhere or is the immediate future looking bleak, climbing-wise?!

I'll also be reliant on public transpo so that probably limits my options even more. Should I give up now before I've even got there?
 DerwentDiluted 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

You could go to Holme Fen, the lowest point in the UK.

Because it's 'not there'.
 SouthernSteve 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

We lived in Ely for a few years. Early Saturday trips to the Peak District were our solution – but with car. There used to be a wall in Cambridge (I think possibly updated now) as well as at Stow and Peterborough. Public transport to the Peak is rubbish so joining a club is your best best for lifts and partners. You could always take up buildering!
 jon 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Climber. Cambridge. No car. You must have been a really bad person in another life
OP Fraser 29 Oct 2017
Okay folks, thanks for the positive information & suggestions there! All the pins in the vicinity on the UKC database map are either for buildering, or venues with ... '0 routes' - what's that all about?!

jon: yes, I'm beginning to feel the same! There's a chance I'll stay on London for a bit, or even get back there after the New Year, but thought I'd try and suss out options in case it's Cambridge in the immediate future. I'm still in London this week though so I'll need to make the most of it.

jon 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Why did I think you were in Glasgow?!
OP Fraser 29 Oct 2017
In reply to jon:

I usually am but had been seconded to our London office for the past 6 weeks to help on a project in Oxford that was coming towards completion. Unfortunately, the person whose role I'd been covering had a family tragedy and hasn't returned to work yet, plus we have another couple of major projects: one in Cambridge and the other back in London (historic building renovation & refurb) the latter of which I'd hoped to move onto, possibly till March. Still hopeful for this as it takes a while to get through security clearance for involvement, which I've already done.

Cambridge is definitely my 'short straw' option, (I'm sure it's a lovely town) but it seems the resource is most needed there.
 jon 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Sounds really interesting work, and security clearance... hmmm! Best of luck, anyway.
 AJM 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

It's not like there's anything nearby - some chalk quarries and railway bridges and then Leicestershire - but I got out for a day, usually in the peak, every weekend when I was there. I don't know about other clubs in town but the uni club always used to be pretty active.
OP Fraser 29 Oct 2017
In reply to jon:

Definitely interesting at times, but as usual there'll be a fair bit of tedious grunt work required.

In reply to AJM:

Ah yes, I'd seen a chalk quarry noted on the UKC map, but I fear it sits just beyond where I draw the line for a fun way to spend a weekend! I'd hoped for an indoor wall where I could maybe pass a couple of evenings a week, anything further afield would be pushing it.
 Gone 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

There is an indoor bouldering wall at Kelsey Kerridge sports centre. I saw an ad on here for another bouldering wall opening, but not until January.
 AJM 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I think it’s all changed since, but we used to toprope on it occasionally either with axes/crampons or to practise aid climbing.
 Shani 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:
Whipplesnaith's guide!
Post edited at 18:47
OP Fraser 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Gone:

> There is an indoor bouldering wall at Kelsey Kerridge sports centre.

Bingo, you're right! Only 200sqm of climbing surface but that's better than nothing. Thanks for the heads-up.
https://www.kelseykerridge.co.uk/sports-centre/climbing-wall/

In reply to shani:

It's taken a while but I was expecting someone to suggest that!

Tom Last 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Cherry Hinton chalk quarry is totally minging, but I had a couple of 'fun' afternoons there.
 silhouette 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Sounds desperate. The best I can think of is to take the train to Finsbury Park for The Castle wall. Even that takes 58 minutes.
 Robert Durran 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I think you are flogging a vast herd of dead horses. Maybe take a break from climbing and call it "active rest" or some such buzz term to make it seem less depressing.
 GrahamD 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

There is no 'real' climbing near Cambridge and trying to get to any by public transport is a ball ache. There is currently only a bouldering wall in the city - no lead wall.

Peak district is easily doable as a day trip with a car. Club is probably your best option for regular lifts / partners.
In reply to Fraser:

As others have mentioned its pretty much limited to the indoor bouldering wall at Kelsey. My only word of warning is that it gets really busy in the evenings (and really hot and stuffy), probably the only place I've seen resort to a '1 in 1 out' ticket policy!

Other than that there is Big Rock in Milton Keynes which is pretty good, both for bouldering and lead. Probably a bit of a pain to get to on public transport but I know Cambridge Climbing Club used to meet on Tuesdays at Kelsey, so may be an option to get friendly with those guys as they tend to go between the two I think.

For actual rock........well if you find anywhere decent nearer than the Peaks let me know!

Dave Garnett 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

When we lived there we took up windsurfing (Grafham) for the weekends we weren't driving somewhere else. KK is not too bad.

There's a good mantleshelf problem by the punt moorings at St John's I managed to do the other weekend.
 Doug 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Does anyone still go 'nightclimbing' ? vague memories of a trip or two only one or more college roofs when visiting friends (but in the mid/late 70s)
 GrahamD 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Andrew Musgrove:

CCCC meet at the Kelsey Kerridge on Wednesdays.

The wall at Harlow is very much easier to access by public transport than Milton Keynes is.
 Toccata 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

We used to go to Mepal (now closed), Wymondham (near Norwich), Peterborough bouldering wall and Bury St Ed. to escape Cambridge. They're all indoors.

Don't knock Kelsey. There have been some seriously strong climbers on that wall. Two of my 'favourite holds ever' are on that wall.
Deadeye 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

If it hasn't changed in the last 30 years (and Cambridge doesn't do change), then your options are:
- a shit wall at Kelsey Kerridge sports centre
-a shit railway bridge at Fen Ditton
- "The night climbers of Cambridge" has some good sport
cb294 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Toccata:

I was just about to recommend Mepal, didn't know it is closed. 15 years ago or so it was definitely worth the drive to avoid the crowds at KK (not a bad wall, but definitely too small even back then).

CB
 Alex1 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

KK has been refurbished and is now perfectly decent as far as indoor walls go although I assume suffers from being busy - you can get fit/strong there. London is easy access for other walls. If you can't get lifts to the peaks, you're based in Glasgow and only there for a couple of months maybe use it as an excuse to do something else for a few weekends...
Rigid Raider 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Yes, what happened to night climbs on the colleges? Or was that only Oxford?
 latestarter 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:
There is another indoor climbing wall just an hour by train from Cambridge - plus 1 mile walk from the station, in Stowmarket, at the excellent leisure centre, The Crag. Not large, but has 32 lines with ~ three well-set routes on each, grades 4-7c, about 8m high. Keeps me busy for a couple of hours. Also only £4.50 to climb (usually not busy, but not been in the evening). Check it out at the (not very informative) website
https://www.everyoneactive.com/thecragg/
Depends on the train fare? but you don't need other than shoe leather at either end (or a bike). However, I guess The Castle is just as accessible by train and a lot bigger!
 iani 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Do people still climb on the Slawston railway bridge abutments?
 John2 30 Oct 2017
Removed User 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Fraser:

Surprised no one has mentioned Rouse and Geddes RIP climbing hard Scottish winter routes while based in Cambridge.
 SouthernSteve 30 Oct 2017
In reply to cb294:

Mepal: The wall was always freezing in the winter and received no attention when we used it - I think money was a real issue for the charity. They were very much better at looking after the boats and days sailing. I read it is now closed after an arson attack. Very sad for all the children that must have loved going there

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/leisure-sites/35118-mepal-outdoor-cen...
 jon 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I think you are flogging a vast herd of dead horses. Maybe take a break from climbing and call it "active rest" or some such buzz term to make it seem less depressing.

Nothing like a bit of encouragement, eh Rob?
 Trangia 30 Oct 2017
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Change of subject, but wasn't Mepal an RAF Base during WW2?

I am sure my late father operated out of RAF Mepal as a pilot in 1945 with 44 Squadron first with Lancasters, then with Lincolns as part of Tiger Force training to go out to Okinawa from where they would have carried out strategic bombing of main land Japan. Thy were stood down before they flew out following the dropping of the Atomic bombs and the ending of the war in the Far East.

To the OP sorry for the hijack but the word "Mepal" rang a bell in my memory.
 SouthernSteve 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Yes I am sure it was, but don't know anything more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...