UKC

Dmm fly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richardhobbs 29 Oct 2017
I am looking to get some new ice axes for this winter as I have been using my mountain technology ones for the past 20+ years !!!! I only climb grade II so the dmm fly seem a great option . But I don't really want to go out buy a brand new set off tools for £200 so eBay is my friend. It seems the old version of the fly is look good. I was lent some leash less axes last year and was immediately converted so is it possible to add a hand rest to the old fly's to make them leash less? Inhave looked on the dmm web site and couldn't see anything. Any advice would be good cheers
 petestack 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Richardhobbs:

> is it possible to add a hand rest to the old fly's to make them leash less?

http://www.petestack.com/blog/clippers-and-grip-rests-for-dmm-flys.html

Yes. Don't know if you can still get the bits I used, but there are other ways and plenty of advice on the 'net. I just particularly wanted to try a reversible modification, though I've never taken them off since.

Mountain Llama 29 Oct 2017
OP Richardhobbs 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Just checked needle sports perfect cheers
 TobyA 29 Oct 2017

Personally I wouldn't get flys, particularly the old model had a really pronounced 'spike' formed by the top of the blade that made them very uncomfortable to plunge which is exactly what you do a lot on grade IIs.

Never really got the fuss over them myself. There are many other designs with another decade of thought and experience gone into them and they don't have to be too expensive either e.g. https://rockrun.com/collections/ice-axes/products/singing-rock-bandit-ice-t... -180 for brand new tools designed ground up to be used leashless.
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks will have a look
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Hi just checked a bit more and bits don't retro fit the old fly's !!!
Thank for the idea though
 Tricadam 30 Oct 2017

Flys (Flies?) are pretty heavy; the old ones even more so. If you can find a deal on some second hand Quarks, on the other hand, go for it. Lightweight, modular, great for general mountaineering, zooming up grade II gullies, or harder things, should you get the urge. And if you do want a bit more heft in the head for climbing ice, the pick weights work well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...