UKC

Jottnar pricing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Y Gribin 29 Oct 2017

Can anyone explain Jottnar’s pricing? I’ve been looking at two products which I wanted to buy as gifts. The Fenrir which was £200 and the Asmund which was £300. Neither was promoted as a sale price. I was waiting for the new season stock (advertised on their site) to see if it changed much.
Last week the new stock came out: the Fenrir is now £290 and the Asmund £350 although the specs don’t seem different. I’m a bit annoyed both because it’s quite a rise, and there was no indication the old prices were about to jump.

I know it’s tough running these smaller independent brands so I just wondered of there was another reason (exchange rates etc)
Post edited at 18:41
 gethin_allen 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

Prices are rising all over the shop, probably due to the pound being crap. I was looking to buy a shimano 105 groupset but decided it wasn't immediately needed, about a year ago they were £329, now they are £419 and I'm wishing I'd bought the stuff then.
 J Whittaker 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

I wanted some of their hardshell pants and they have gone up an extra 50 squids.
 TobyA 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

The Asmunds were 250 when they first came out! https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=8247 I'm sure the weak pound is a big part of it, then there is inflation, and then of course they might just be realising they could increase their prices a bit and still have people buy their products - this is only their 4th winter in operation, it must be really hard at first to know how much you will sell at what prices, how to get stock levels right, how much is too much, how much is too little etc.
 JayPee630 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

I suspect only a bit of it is inflation/costs/etc. and much of it is they're pricing to match the top spec other gear in the market like Arcteryx, probably cos they sold out of most of their stock and realize they can still sell their gear at higher prices. It is dead good stuff though!
 ModerateMatt 29 Oct 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

I work in a outdoor shop. Our new stock of jackets have gone up across the board by anything up to £30 and I'm sure the odd thing is even higher. But by my rough math the Jotnar kit has gone up by 30 percent which does seem a lot.
 wilkie14c 29 Oct 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

thread hijack alert

I too am on the market for the 105 groupset. want all black and a granny ringed cassette (32T)
Wiggle seems to be best bet at the moment at 330 but that doesn't include bottom bracket or a band on adaptor for front mech (in my case)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5800-groupset/
 BnB 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

Simple economics. If they sold out of stock last year, then they either aren't making enough or didn't charge enough. The correct response is to make more, charge more or do both until they find the limit of what their customers can bear.

Alternatively, last year's prices might have been loss-leading and, with a place in the market now established, it's time to make a profit!!

As a small firm, Jottnar won't be as resources- or data-rich as giants like Arcteryx so expect similar instability for a few seasons yet.
 nathan79 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Y Gribin:

Jöttnar to me have always seemed keen to get their gear in that upper echelon of gear with the likes of Arc'teryx complete with prices to match. They want to be seen as a cut above the norm.

I've seen little bad written about their gear so it's clearly good stuff. I don't see their price level calming down.
 gethin_allen 30 Oct 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

The plan was to get the semi compact chainset and a 11-32 cassette but I wanted a 170 mm crank arm and these were not available. I'll have a look at wiggle but I'd need the BB also.
 wilkie14c 30 Oct 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

yea it's always the limited options that let these places down. I'm moving from a tapered square BB to the external bearings so will have the cost of frame facing too. Can't justify the extra cost of the ultegra for the minimal weight savings and the 105 gets superb reviews. just built some mavic open pros on 105 hubs and the quality of the hubs is superb.
See you on the road sometime!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...