UKC

Winter Mountaineer training coming from London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CebuUp 30 Oct 2017
Morning all,

So the long and short is that I am aiming to become competent with winter Scrambling and overall winter mountain hiking in general, I am looking at my progression almost like a apprenticeships, I started hill walking at the start of the summer heading from London to Wales a few times each month, I started to rock climb and boulder indoors with the odd bouldering session outdoors and feel I am progressing well climbing 3 times a week.

I would like to do a introduction to proper winter walking and mountaineering, I really need to get a Abseil course in as well sooner rather than later..

Can anyone suggest a 2-3 day course that could get me started with the major safety concerns to look out for along with a introduction to things to work on to continue my progression. There seem to be a number of places and people running courses but I would like to hear first had if anyone can recommend somewhere, sadly coming from London everywhere is hundreds of miles away!!!!!....

I am decently fit and enthusiastic to get started..

Tar

James Jackson 30 Oct 2017
In reply to triniriderz:

Anything from Glenmore Lodge or Plas Y Brenin will be high-quality. Equally, there are plenty of guides based in Scotland who post on here who could organise tailored private tuition.

As I'm sure you're aware, the weather in Scotland (especially in the Winter) can be very fickle and plans will need to adjust rapidly. Those detailed above will be able to work with what's going on in most circumstances!
CebuUp 30 Oct 2017
In reply to James Jackson:

Perfect thanks pal..
 Mark Haward 30 Oct 2017
In reply to triniriderz:

I agree with everything James has said. A guide, MIC or course would be an excellent way forward. There are other things you can do as well:

- Lots of great books and some videos on winter walking and mountaineering
- Lots of great websites such as BMC and training video clips available, for example through Glenmore Lodge site
- Get out there. Continue with your trips to Snowdonia, Lakes, Brecons, Scotland if you can. You don't have to wait for full on winter conditions. Get used to shorter days, practice navigation, find the right clothing and kit that suits you, get used to wetter, slippy ground and rocks, go look where the winter routes you want to do go and how to descend from them.
- Find like minded people, perhaps through a club, to share costs and experience.

Have fun
 JayPee630 30 Oct 2017
In reply to triniriderz:

Don't think about an 'abseil course'. Not even sure they exist tbh. You'll learn that skill as part of multi pitch climbing and mountaineering, not as a separate thing.
 Dell 30 Oct 2017
In reply to triniriderz:

You can practice abseiling on a steep hill to get used to the setup, get down to Boxhill and find the steeper bits around the edges.
 Pero 30 Oct 2017
In reply to triniriderz:
If you're keen, definitely book up with Glenmore Lodge. But, as with all things mountaineering, a 2-3 day course is worth very little unless you are getting out regularly.

You should look at joining a club. I'm in the LMC:

http://www.londonmountaineeringclub.com/

They have a "navigation" meet in North Wales this weekend and a "Winter Munro" meet in Scotland in December.

A club has got to be your best bet for getting out regularly. Climbing, walking or winter stuff.

Although you do get winter conditions in the Lakes and N Wales, realistically if you want to get some experience under your belt, you will have to travel to Scotland (or abroad - e.g. Norway for ice climbing; or, the Alps in the summer).

The biggest issue will be your commitment to that. If Scotland is too far, then one winter skills course is not quite a waste of time, but you may be better to wait until next summer and do an Alpine course.

Your other issue will be finding a partner. I wouldn't underestimate this as a logistical issue. Until you are confident enough to go out in winter on your own, you are going to need company - ideally someone more experienced.

Possibly joining a national club or a Scottish club - one with regular meets in Scotland, at least.

When I started (in 1992 - I was living in Nottingham at the time) I would go to the Lakes or Wales twice a month and Scotland for longer trips at Xmas and the Bank Holidays. Certainly, you need to try to get out once every month at least.

In conclusion, I think finding a training course is the least of it. I'll bet there are dozens of people every year who go on a winter skills course and it's 1-2 years until they next set foot on a mountain in winter. Going on a course is the easy bit!
Post edited at 12:25
CebuUp 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Pero:

Scotland is doable as in 1/4 scottish and my mothet has a home there, no issues with getting abroad either I work a rota will give me long stretches off every month.

At least there is food for thought.

Thanks everyone thus far
 AlH 30 Oct 2017
In reply to triniriderz:

As others have said Instruction is a good way to get a base of skills to work with but then mileage with like minded individuals is also important. The BMC and Mountaineering Scotland can help you find clubs, Facebook groups like Ground Conditions in UK Mountain Areas, Fort William and Glencoe: Climbing Partners and Outdoors Events and Cairngorms: Climbing Partners may throw up folk to go out with too.
Other than the National Centres (Plas Y Brenin and Glenmore Lodge) which do excellent open courses in Winter Walking and Mountaineering Skills (including food and accommodation) you can hire a Mountaineering Instructor Certificate (MIC) holder. MICs have been trained and assessed in their ability to instruct all aspects of UK Winter Walking, Climbing and Mountaineering. Many MICs run courses similar to the National Centres or you can go for a bespoke course tailored to you and your needs. If you go to: http://www.mountain-training.org/associations/ami/find-an-instructor, select MIC and click on West Highlands or East Highlands you'll find plenty of us on there (including me!).
Feel free to PM me if you want more advice (its free!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...