UKC

Good destination for long rock routes in December?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Sansum 31 Oct 2017
I am trying to think of some ideas for a winter climbing trip destination, probably in Europe. Requirements:

* Somewhere that isn't expensive to get to
* Long multi-pitch routes on good rock
* Good conditions in December
* Trad or sport
* HS-E1 / 5 to 6c ish options

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Chris
 Pero 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Chris Sansum:

Have you looked at the Costa Blanca?
 spenser 31 Oct 2017

Obvious suggestion would be Costa Blanca, lots of reasonably big but doable in a day multi-pitch routes, I've been twice in December and had a pretty good trip on both occasions.
A good resource for trip planning is the Climb Europe website:
http://www.climb-europe.com/
 john arran 31 Oct 2017

Not quite in Europe, but I'd recommend you look into wadi rum (in jordan) and morocco.
 Mark Eddy 31 Oct 2017
Another vote for Costa Blanca.
December conditions are usually good for climbing. A few places to check out for starters:

Puig Campana; Ponoch; Cabezon d'Oro; El Penon d'Ifach.

I was on Cabezon last week and we had the whole place to ourselves, the other crags will likely be similar
Post edited at 17:58
 ashtond6 31 Oct 2017

La cabrera, madrid
 Ramblin dave 01 Nov 2017
In reply to john arran:
> morocco.

Second this - for trad at HS - E1 the Tafroute area could be well worth a look.
Post edited at 23:56
 Mike Shamash 02 Nov 2017
Hi Chris
I love long rock routes ... probably because I struggle when it gets hard.

There are a lot of great long routes in Costa Blanca and Valencia area that are usually good in December. I do my main foreign climbing trip in winter to escape the UK winter and have tried most of the easily reachable (cheap) places. The further East in Mediterranean tends to have less reliable weather in December / January (e.g. S. France, Sicily, Sardinia, Greece, Turkey) - but anywhere can have bad weather in December - last year there was snow in Costa Blanca in January.
Costa Blanca and Morocco are my favourite destinations

Leyva (my favourite ... but only about 200m) - there are 100 or so long routes here in the local guide available in El Berro that are fully equipped / partly equipped or completely trad. Nice strong lines and rarely busy. Loads of great routes in your grade range. (the ones in the rockfax guide are all excellent ... but there are loads of other equally good climbs)
Cabezon d'oro also has loads of routes that are fully equipped / partly equipped and there is a newish dedicated guide available at the climbing shop in Alicante
Montanejos Montanejos is also great but tends to be a little colder but fine if you pick a route in the sun... once again there is choice of fully and partially equipped routes. There is a warm spring in the river thats a real treat.

Morocco - Tafroute area is fantastic for trad and is warmer

have a great trip

LeeWood 02 Nov 2017

Lleida zone: Vilanova de Meia, Collegats, Escales, Terradets etc
 rpc 02 Nov 2017

Go to Oman. Can't be much more than a southern Euro destination. Long routes & the rock most certainly isn't polished (though my first hand experience is limited to the French Pillar only). Safe, logistically easy and relatively exotic. I'd love to go back.

http://www.climb-europe.com/rockclimbingshop/Rock-Climbing-Guidebook-for-Om...
 Robert Durran 02 Nov 2017
In reply to rpc:

> Go to Oman.

Certainly ticks all the boxes except for cost - flights do not seem to come cheap.
OP Chris Sansum 03 Nov 2017

Thanks all. Looking like it is going to be Costa Blanca. Lots of good suggestions to park for a future year (been wanting to go to Morocco in particular for ages)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...