UKC

ARTICLE: Ned Feehally's Top Mantelshelves in the Peak District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 31 Oct 2017
Ned Feehally's Mantleshelves of the Peak, 4 kbMantles aren't cool. Grinding your way up a rounded blob of rock doesn't really make for a good Instagram post. These days it's all about "power" and "dynos". The cool kids want to swing about on something steep and get home in time to do some one-armers and post a picture of their skinny soy protein latte. They do not want to fail on a mantle.

Chief Mantelist Ned Feehally shares his top picks in grovelling, grimacing and grinding.

Read more
 Wft 31 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

I feel like Ned has a Karmic duty to mantle now to equal out all the back-of-the-hand-tap drop-offs in his competition years.
 profitofdoom 31 Oct 2017

It is the one at the top of The Cracks (HS 4c) on Dinas Mot that really gets me. I hate that ****ing move with a vengeance honestly I swear it is harder than anything on Diagonal (HVS 5a) not kidding
pasbury 31 Oct 2017

Excellent stuff.

Perverted and unsavoury but still excellent.
 SuperLee1985 31 Oct 2017

Was having a crappy day ad this article made me laugh and really cheered me up. Thanks Ned!
 Ean T 31 Oct 2017
Please sir, please sir it's mantelshelf, not mantleshelf. Great article though.
Post edited at 18:25
 FreshSlate 31 Oct 2017

Amazing article. I love a good mantel.
 1234None 31 Oct 2017

Excellent article, and that cut throat bridge problem looks superb!

I had a lot of fun being involved in this article.

In many ways it was good prep for the recent trip I've had to Font, as we went around doing a load of the problems the week before I left. Although I say 'good prep', on the one hand it was good practise, but on the other it did mean that I went out there feeling battered and bruised!!

Victorian Overmantel and Cut Throat Snake are still on the to-do list, although I think - like many others out there - I'll find a number of excuses NOT to do them.

Finally, some good news - Ned is in the process of putting together a follow-up article to his favourite 'Oddballs' of the Peak (think Highballs, only less high and more weird).

Offwidth 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Weird and wonderful.

If this inpires punters, Steve Halfpenny's list is a good place to start sweating and swearing.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=672648
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=1975

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...