UKC

Can we have a wholepoint option please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 31 Oct 2017
.. to label the climb that i attempted and failed and practised and rested on gear and attempted and failed and top-roped and attempted and failed and stood on a rock at the bottom and stood on my mates head and attempted and failed and eventually led it all and whooped with joy and bought a round after to celebrate and lived with the glow for weeks afterwards until my next project?
 Jon Greengrass 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Fredt:

A Whatisthepoint?
OP Fredt 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> A Whatisthepoint?

enjoyment?

HeMa 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Fredt:

Yes. And also add No Point, for when you read to moves so it’s basically climbed hence no need to even try.
 mrphilipoldham 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Fredt:
What about the nul point for when a European beats you to the send?
Post edited at 16:43
 FactorXXX 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Fredt:

A 'Pierrepoint' in that you top roped it to death.
In reply to FactorXXX:

Very good. Just the right amount of bite & darkness
 john arran 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Fredt:

> .. to label the climb that i attempted and failed and practised and rested on gear and attempted and failed and top-roped and attempted and failed and stood on a rock at the bottom and stood on my mates head and attempted and failed and eventually led it all and whooped with joy and bought a round after to celebrate and lived with the glow for weeks afterwards until my next project?

That would be a Leachpoint.
 ripper 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Fredt:

One for when someone climbs next to you, using the exact same sequence of moves but on a different route - a counterpoint?
 john arran 31 Oct 2017
In reply to ripper:

Ballpoint: when you tick a route without having done it.
Gunpoint: a redpoint with the quickdraws already in.
Standpoint: when it takes you fcuking ages to commit to the crux, bit get it clean in the end.
Viewpoint: when you've looked at it and decided you don't need to bother climbing it.
Disappoint: when you onsight a route but find the crux was chipped.
 plyometrics 31 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:
Brownpoint: Successful ascent of any route you’ve shit yourself on.
Post edited at 19:46
Removed User 31 Oct 2017
In reply to john arran:

I thought a ballpoint was ticking a route you haven't actually climbed?
 ripper 01 Nov 2017
In reply to john arran:

What about one where the key holds are helpfully illuminated, in various colours, by your mate at the bottom with a projector - a PowerPoint?
 Binigo 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

A Simply Redpoint - any ascent of a route first climbed in that band's heyday of the late 80's/early 90s?
 Sam2257 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Binigo:

A Bluepoint - when your fingers are so cold you can't feel the holds
 ripper 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Sam2257:

An Appoint - one where you don't need the guidebook coz you have the Rockfax App on your phone

but only if you have an iPhone as there's still no bastard Android version!!!
 Chris the Tall 01 Nov 2017
In reply to john arran:

A Greypoint - where you know you've done a route before but can't remember any of the moves

Not to be confused with a Hindsight, where you think you are doing an onsight, but then get this sense of deja vu as you realise you've done it before
 Andy Hardy 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Or a needlepoint - which is not on-sight, because you failed on it last time and your mate p1ssed up it, so you *have* to have another go (usually with a different partner)
 ripper 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

But isn't a Needlepoint one where you absolutely stitch it with gear?
 Mark Kemball 01 Nov 2017

> A Greypoint - where you know you've done a route before but can't remember any of the moves

Isn't that a Retro-Flash?
 Chris Harris 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> Isn't that a Retro-Flash?

No, that's when you climb something in flared corduroys & a flowery shirt.
 PaulTclimbing 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

Then there's the counterpoint for when your mate rants sex pistols and your happy singing Barclay James Harvest when you climb at exactly the same harmonious time.. But if you shoot them 'en route' because of your formal military training and distaste for the period when Punk finally killed prog rock; it would then go down as a westpoint.
 ripper 01 Nov 2017

> A Greypoint - where you know you've done a route before but can't remember any of the moves

> Not to be confused with a Hindsight, where you think you are doing an onsight, but then get this sense of deja vu as you realise you've done it before

So then, if you have no memory of having climbed the route before, even after finishing it, and only realise it's a repeat when you find it's already in your UCK logbook - would that be a Whitepoint? Not that this has ever happened to me, obviously....
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> Isn't that a Retro-Flash?

How about a Retro-Splash, where you find yourself on the wrong route, cos the one you thought you were climbing has fallen into the sea !
In reply to ripper:

I think a Whitepoint is one where you can't honestly claim an on-sight due to the amount of chalk and tick marks on the route, and even though you tut loudly at this, secretly you know you wouldn't have succeeded without them !
 ripper 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

When partner insists in no uncertain terms that you climb the bloody thing - a Point of Order
 JimR 01 Nov 2017
In reply to Sam2257:

> A Bluepoint - when your fingers are so cold you can't feel the holds

Bluepoint (7a+)

that was the rationale for the name of this one. If I remember it was about -6C on the FA

Bulls Crack 05 Nov 2017
In reply to Fredt:

Point to point,. On a horse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...