UKC

using an 'old' harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
paulcarey 31 Oct 2017
After a long break from climbing, I'm heading to a wall next week for the first time in in about 10 years and want to use my harness.
Before being put into storage it was about 12 months old and getting used 2-3 times a week and took a 3m fall once at a wall.

It has has been stored folded up somewhere dry with no extremes of temperature. Could there be any issues with using it again after all this time?

nniff 31 Oct 2017
In reply to paulcarey:

If it looks OK and feels OK, I'd say it's fine. However, if you're in any way uncomfortable (mentally that is), there's only one answer.
 SenzuBean 31 Oct 2017
In reply to paulcarey:
I would strongly consider retiring the harness. The general advice for soft-goods is 10 years maximum - much less for extreme wear. Harnesses are not super expensive items, and being able to trust your equipment 100% is nearly as important as whether it would actually be safe - the fact you have asked whether it's safe shows that you don't trust it 100%.

In saying that - from what I understand, recent tests showed that nylon holds up pretty well as long as it's not exposed to UV or harsh chemicals. As long as there's been no solvents nearby, or acids / bases, and it was in complete darkness - it's probably okay (at least the nylon part anyway).
Post edited at 17:06
 Max factor 31 Oct 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

> being able to trust your equipment 100% is nearly as important as whether it would actually be safe - the fact you have asked whether it's safe shows that you don't trust it 100%.

This is very true and is probably the main reason not to keep it. Given the storage and usage you describe, I doubt it would be unsafe, but ultimately only you can make the call.
 GrahamD 31 Oct 2017
In reply to paulcarey:

I still happily use a 20 year old harness for winter climbing. Its not worn and its been stored well. Other harnesses that I use more regularly on rock I've binned because they are visibly worn. I personally wouldn't bin a 10 year old harness with moderate use just on age.
 Kemics 31 Oct 2017
In reply to paulcarey:

If you’re just going down for a one off session, I wouldn’t worry. However, if you plan on getting back into Climbing, I’d get a new one. It’ll probably be comfier, it’s not that much money and there won’t be that nagging doubt at the back of your mind. I’m very liberal on retiring kit simply for the reason when I’m mid crux I don’t want to catch myself looking at an old tatty sling and worrying. But that’s only a preference not an absolute
paulcarey 01 Nov 2017
In reply to everyone:

Thanks for all the replies.
I'll give it a once over and take it from there.
 alanblyth 02 Nov 2017
In reply to paulcarey:

I use my 10 year old harness multiple times a week and don't think twice about it, nothing is worn badly other than a little fluff, don't be wasteful unless there is visible signs of wear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...