UKC

INTERVIEW: Reading Between the Lines - Bernadette McDonald

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 01 Nov 2017
Bernadette McDonald, 5 kbCanadian author and editor Bernadette McDonald is one of the most lauded climbing and mountaineering writers of our time, with a particular interest in biographical writing and mountain culture. Having published ten books and won numerous mountain literature awards - including the 2011 Boardman Tasker Award for Freedom Climbers - one might be surprised to hear that Bernadette never intended to become a writer.

Bernadette kindly took the time to answer some questions on her career path and reading habits between festival events, writing, climbing and tending to her vineyards...

Read more
 Mark Collins 01 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

Thanks very much for this. Yes, if it wasn't for her, all those high achieving eastern mountaineers would have been lost to me. Being unable to pronounce their names and much to my detriment, I'd previously skip the text and move on.

Shame she wasn't asked what grade she climbs and what has she ever done on grit
 Mick Ward 01 Nov 2017

A great interview - many thanks to both participants.

> I can never decide if Andy Cave's Learning to Breathe or James Salter's Solo Faces wins out. Salter's craftsmanship is so fine.

> James Salter stands out, even though he only wrote one book that could be called mountain literature. He is such a craftsman.

Absolutely. The Hunters, based upon Salter’s experiences as a combat pilot in Korea, is also superb.

> I'm rereading something for research purposes – Mirella Tenderini's biography of Gary Hemming.

Interesting… given that Solo Faces is a roman à clef of the Gary Hemming story.

Mick
 Sean Kelly 01 Nov 2017

A good interview and insight into a writer not primarily known from a climbing background.
In reply to Mark Collins:

There was definitely good reason to ask some wine-related questions. Grit not so much
 Damo 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Absolutely. The Hunters, based upon Salter’s experiences as a combat pilot in Korea, is also superb.

You see this? http://lithub.com/james-salter-why-i-write/?platform=hootsuite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...