UKC

PSA: Cyfrwy Arete - Missing pinnacle at top of Pitch 3.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just a heads up: the pinnacle (mentioned as the belay in many guide books) at the top of Pitch 3 on Cyfrwy Arete (Summer) (D) is no longer there.

My partner pointed out to me that it wobbled when I accidentally nudged it today, so I decided to see how solid it was. Without putting much effort in I easily managed to topple the thing off. The trundle was quite impressive, it's a shame I didn't film it.

Apologies to Si who was leading the next pitch, while this was going on. It made quite a bang and I really should have let you know beforehand

If you've not done it Cyfrwy Arete with the Table Start has got to be up there with one of the best Diffs in Snowdonia. Go and do it!

Tom
 d_b 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
The pinnacle was the only thing that made it worth doing. YOU MONSTER!

Are we talking about the one in the gap behind the table?
Post edited at 11:49
In reply to davidbeynon:

> The pinnacle was the only thing that made it worth doing. YOU MONSTER!

Would you rather it had detached when some one slipped climbing out of the gap, taking them and their belayer with them?

> Are we talking about the one in the gap behind the table?

Yes

d_b 02 Nov 2017

There was a at the end but it vanished when I edited the post I think.

I had belayed off that loads of times, and never considered it particularly dodgy. I wonder how long it has been unsafe.
 Jimbob11 02 Nov 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

Same, always thought that was solid!

Cader is a giant choss-pile of doom... Hence the huge approach slope of scree. The only time I've climbed the Arete, some companions on an adjacent route managed to dislodge a fridge-sized lump. Fortunately, just as the second was topping out; he stepped onto the block, which then fell away from under him. Fortunately, he managed to just step off it onto more solid ground as it fell away.

I was belaying a bit higher up, in a gulley, and could only hear the shouts, and the terrible crash of rock. I didn't know where it was falling, so I just hunkered in and hoped for the best. Fortunately, it was all going on below me... I was more than a little bit spooked by that, and glad we were very near the top at that point.
In reply to captain paranoia:

The Cyfrwy face is chossy, but just because something is loose doesn't mean you can't have a good time..

In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

Where did I say it wasn't fun...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...