UKC

New Winter Climbing / Mountaineering boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climber_Bill 02 Nov 2017

I need a new pair of winter climbing / mountaineering boots. My current pair of Nepal EVO gtx have had it.

The Nepal EVO gtx are an awesome boot, I really like them and they fit well, but just wondering what the Nepal Cube Gtx are like if anyone has worn them. Or any other suggestions.

Thanks.

TJB.
 GarethSL 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Climber_Bill:

I'm keeping my eye out for some La Sportiva G5's, by all accounts they seem really good but waiting for some longer term feedback. They're pretty much the same weight as the Cube but synthetic, with the boa lace and an external gaiter so I would hope they are warmer.

Have you read the UKC review on the Cube? https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6411

I'm not so keen on heavy leather boots anymore, but if you don't like the Cube then the Mont Blanc Pro from Scarpa or the Mountain Pro Evo from Zamberlan could be worth a look. For some reason Zamberlan doesn't get much credit in the UK mountaineering world but I think their boots are really worth a look, the quality is excellent.
 Billhook 02 Nov 2017

I'll second the Zamberlam Pro Evo. Not widely available for some reason but just the job and most importantly comfortable. Luckily the Lime Green leather soon tones down in Scottish bog conditions.
 mcawle 03 Nov 2017
I have Cubes. I find them excellent, although I am a newbie and they are my first pair of winter boots.

Had some faffing with sizing - started with a 45 after shop assistant encouraged me to size up for mountain boots (normally a 43). That didn't really work out for me, so I ended up trying very many boots (more than a dozen, multiple sizes of multiple brands and models) before settling on Cubes again in 43.5.

Subsequently wore them for a couple of weeks in the Alps in September and they have been excellent - pretty light, comfortable, and lock to the foot nicely. Warm enough, though I never ended up standing around anywhere very cold whilst I was there. They also feel pretty nimble, which is a big plus given that they are still relatively big boots.

I did try Zamberlans, the Mountain Pro 2090 and the Eiger 4000. Had to buy them direct from Italy though, so potentially hard to try on in the UK. They seem top notch but the shape wasn't quite right for my feet. Sent them back.

Also tried Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX and Aku Montagnard (can get from Keswick Boot Co) - quality seems excellent, but again shape wasn't quite right. Sent them back.

I do have fussy feet, so in the end getting a good fit trumped everything else for me.

Edit: I never tried Nepal Evos, but I have read in a few places that the fit is somewhat different between Evos and Cubes. So worth keeping that in mind.

All that said, if you happen to be after a size 45 in Cubes that are nearly new (worn for a week in Scotland, didn't get thrashed), then let me know...
Post edited at 00:40
OP Climber_Bill 03 Nov 2017
In reply to GarethSL:

Thanks. The G5's look interesting. I'll try some on and have a look at the others as well.

TJB.
In reply to Dave Perry:

Not really considered Zamberlans, though they do seem popular on the continent. Will have a look.

Thanks.

TJB.
In reply to mcawle:

Thanks for the detailed reply. Useful to know about the differences between the Evos and the Cubes.

I need to find a shop with a wide range of makes, models and sizes.

I do suspect I might just go for the Evos again, simply because I like what I know and know what I like. Wore a pair of plastics for years until they fell to pieces and bought Evos, but am trying to look around a bit more this time and consider newer, more higher tech models like the G5.

TJB.
cb294 03 Nov 2017

The Cubes use a completely different last when compared with the Nepal Evos. I could not find any size that would fit my feet, so went for another pair of Evos, as well as a pair of Scarpa Guides for boots with integrated gaiters.

Even though they are made by a different company the Guides are much closer to the Nepals in fit than the Cubes.

The G5s look great, but in terms of fit resembled the Cubes when I put them on in our local shop, so I did not try them extensively.

CB
OP Climber_Bill 05 Nov 2017
In reply to cb294:

Thanks, that's interesting. I suppose La Sportiva have to try to accommodate different foot markets with different boots. They've done quite well for my foot shape with the Evo, obviously need to try and suit other foot shapes with their different boots.

Cheers,

TJB.
 mcawle 05 Nov 2017
Yes, even in London the range isn't great - lots of shops, all selling the same stuff. I ended up spending a bit on postage sending different boots back after ordering online, and it was a faff.

If you already know the Evos work, then that could be problem solved.
Post edited at 20:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...