UKC

Hiking Boots/Shoes NO HOOKS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Maz83x 02 Nov 2017
HI.
I am a newbie who really wants to start hiking regularly. I plan on going on weekends and am looking for places around Greater Manchester or surrounding. I'm starting 'small'
I really dislike boots that have hooks for laces at the top. I have had several in the past, all different makes, etc. I must be a total clutz or I have something up with the way I walk because I trip myself up with them :/ The amount of times I have landed flat on my face with them on FLAT ground is diabolical. Lol.
Can you recommend any shoes/boots (that do not have hooks for laces) for hiking approx 10-20 miles a week?
Something that doesn't cost the earth.
I would really appreciate any help.
Thank You.
 oldie 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

My son is a teacher and after one of his students caught feet together and broke an arm he advised everyone to hammer/bend hooks down so they are not protruding.
Personally I wouldn't do this as I think hooks would be weakened. If catching a lace loop on hook of opposite boot is likely I tie lace as normal then tie a free end round the loops so they both point away from inner side of boot (other methods should work, also gaiters).

Apologies for not actually answering your question, but if you go just for boots without laces you may limit your choice (and probably price range).
 Mal Grey 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

Can't really help you on the hooks thing, as they are there for a reason - to save you having to re-thread through holes every time you take the boots on and off. They also grip the lace well, helping stop your heel move. I can't think of any actual walking boots without hooks, though they may well exist. Other footwear may not use them, and may be suitable, or not, for hill use.

If my laces are too long, I just tuck the loops/ends back through the cross laces lower down.

I have been known to spear my own laces with walking poles. This normally leads to amusement for my mates...

NathanP 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

Not that I have ever found this a problem but my own approach is to use trail running shoes rather than hiking boots for most of the year (no hooks to worry about there) and when it is cold, wet and muddy/snowy enough to need boots, I usually wear a pair of gaiters too (covering the hooks and laces).

John Ww 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

5.10 Guide Tennie Mid - job done

JW
 Trangia 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

You can reduce the risk of hook snagging by tying the laces off with double, even triple, knots so that there are no protruding loops.

wintertree 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

To add another suggestion that doesn’t answer your question...

I place my thred loops over the protruding part of the tongues. This keeps them out of harms way.
 skog 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

You could also consider wearing gaiters or mini-gaiters over the top of the boots, so covering the hooks.
 mangoletse 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

I've been looking at fabric boots recently (although not specifically ones without hooks), and my conclusion (assuming they fit) is that I'll get the Haglofs Roc Icon GTX - in spite of them having eyelets and not hooks right the way to the top.
 Toerag 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

Military boots often don't use hooks.
llechwedd 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

If you have 'flat' feet, then that can be a factor which might lead to you clashing your ankles and tripping. Medial arch support insoles could help realign your feet and ankles.
I have to say though, that Skog's comment about mini-gaiters is probably the way to go for immediate resolution of the problem. Try googling Grasmere ankle gaiters.
Lusk 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

Maybe take them to one of the many boot repairers and get them to replace the hooks with eyelets?
A simple fix, I imagine.
In reply to Maz83x:

Trail running shoes and waterproof socks.
 PPP 04 Nov 2017
In reply to John Ww:
> 5.10 Guide Tennie Mid - job done

> JW

Using the 5.10 dotted rubber in the UK for hillwalking is a suicide. I used them in Dolomites and they were great, but they are so slippery on wet grassy slopes.

Quite few Adidas Terrex and Columbia boots do not use hooks. They are decently priced and do their job. Lugs aren't the deepest ones, though.
Post edited at 10:48
baron 04 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:
As John W said the five ten boots don't have hooks.
The camp four version removes the problem of slippery soles as well.
You do realise, of course, that not having hooks on your boots will leave you open to ridicule by all us serious, know it all hillwalkers?
Good heavens, you'll be wanting to replace the red laces next!
Good luck in your search.
 Grizza 05 Nov 2017
In reply to Maz83x:

Personally, I have some really great military boots, cheap, full leather, warm, good fit, sturdy, Vibram soles.. And they're an absolute b*gg*r coz they have all the upper lacing via D rings rather than hooks. Can't get 'em to give a good snug/tight lace-up.
I also have some boots only with eyelets at the top, which are better but still not ideal for getting good lace tension.
Hooks IMHO are the best.

Go to a shop that has a good selection of all kinds of boots and fell/trail shoes and see what you like. Also get them to check what your issue us with tripping over and to see if they can help you.
Make sure you get boots that are a good and comfortable fit, else they will not help to enjoy your walking. It's worth a bit of money to get this right; consult a good boot shop fitter about this.
And don't buy low-cut trail shoes or fabric or cheap boots and then expect them to keep your feet dry in English mud, dew, slush, mizzle, puddles, streams, bogs... And so on.
Welcome to hill walking!
 Toerag 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Grizza:

> Hooks IMHO are the best.
Speedlace eyelets are the best - the tube-shaped eyelets as found on German 'para' boots
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d3/9a/79/d39a79f5249ee72ec64fabcee736ee9a.jp...
The ones making up the top 4 in the pic can be pulled tight in one go, especially if you lace them in pairs i.e. the lace goes up one, then through the next before crossing the tongue to the other side. The double-anchored one below them is a gripping hook, so you can tighten the bottom laces around the foot properly before tightening the top at your leisure. Conversely you can loosen the top section of laces and unhook the hooks to allow easy boot removal very quickly. It's a brilliant system.
 John Ww 06 Nov 2017
In reply to PPP:

> Using the 5.10 dotted rubber in the UK for hillwalking is a suicide.

Well bugger me, I must be dead! Clearly having used up two complete soles of my 5.10s has left me completely unable to formulate a valid opinion. I bow to your superior knowledge.

JW

Grizza 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Hmmm. Each to his or her own. I have a pair of very similar but UK boots and find them still a pain to get tight. Mind you, I have very narrow ankles & shins and am of the 'wrap laces several times round ankles' old-skool of thought. That plus hooks works a treat for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...