UKC

In Memorium

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 03 Nov 2017

When my mother died in 2002 she was cremated and we interred her ashes on some rough pasture land. This was done with the permission of the land owners who were very, very long time family friends. My mother had spent several years looking after them as children. My father joined her twelve months later and we had a simple slate plaque bearing their names affixed to an adjacent boulder. It is still in good condition as of yesterday.
Sadly both the land owners have now passed away and the farm and land will ultimately be sold.
This leaves wondering what to do with the plaque. Do I leave it in situ and hope that it will never be disturbed? It's location is such that it probably wouldn't be found/seen unless you knew where to look so it might not be discovered by anyone else.
Post edited at 10:16
 duchessofmalfi 03 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I don't know if this is practical but:

Stick your name and phone number on the back and leave it where it is - I suspect it will never be found but if it is then the finder could contact you if they needed to.
 jkarran 03 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I'd speak to the new landowner when the farm sells, make them aware of the situation and request that you're informed if they want to change that situation. Most people are basically reasonable.
jk
OP mypyrex 03 Nov 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi & jkarran:
Thanks. Both suggestions worth consideration. Obviously I would prefer to leave it in situ. I was just thinking what a mystery it would be for somebody if it was "discovered" in about twenty or thirty years time, especially as it shows only the "nicknames" by which they were known in the locality and not their surname.

Deadeye 03 Nov 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Thanks. Both suggestions worth consideration. Obviously I would prefer to leave it in situ. I was just thinking what a mystery it would be for somebody if it was "discovered" in about twenty or thirty years time, especially as it shows only the "nicknames" by which they were known in the locality and not their surname.

Then someone would think it was pets and happily remove it?
 john arran 03 Nov 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> Then someone would think it was pets and happily remove it?

If their nicknames were "Dobbin" and "Fido", then probably yes.
 AP Melbourne 03 Nov 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> Stick your name and phone number on the back and leave it where it is - I suspect it will never be found but if it is then the finder could contact you if they needed to.

Sound idea by the good duchess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...