/ Catherine Destivelle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dave - on 06 Nov 2017
I just met her - very briefly. What a wonderfully modest person and all round talented climber. I can't immediately think of someone who has covered top level sport and competition climbing to high standard alpinism to Himalayan and expedition climbing in quite the same way. I started climbing in the mid 80's when she was in all the mags, usually in a pair of short shorts (sorry...), and I guess she'd made a big impression.
Trangia on 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave:

I am glad to know she is still around. She was amazing in her heyday and I for one, was completely smitten by her talent. Does she still climb? And climb solo?
TobyA on 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave:

Grimer interviewed her not too long ago for his podcast, listen hear (and watch her soloing in Mali which is the first ever climbing I saw on TV and made a big impression!):

http://www.niallgrimes.com/jam-crack-podcast/jcpc-007-catherine-destivelle-that-french-bird-oft-tell...
Andrew Wilson - on 06 Nov 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Is that the huge crumbly looking sandstone thing, and she runs down at the end? We had it videoed off the telly, on the same tape as the uk indoor climbing championship that Jerry Moffat won in Leeds. Early 90's?

Deadeye - on 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> I was completely smitten by her talent.

Yeah yeah.

Mal Grey - on 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Andrew Wilson:
We had these on a video tape in the shop (YHA Shop in Notts) in about '89, played them both regularly when it should have been the sanctioned "brands' videos", or things we sold. Always grabbed the customers (and our!) attention when she was hanging off the lip of those overhangs.

Glad to hear she's still a star.

Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO1wVIy-pxE

Post edited at 19:58
Trangia on 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

> Yeah yeah.

Well the short shorts probably helped the illusion, but I didn't want to say so in case it was regarded as sexual innuendo....
Skyfall - on 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave:

I met her in the bar of a small hotel in Cogne whilst ice climbing, about 15 years ago now I guess. She was v modest, happy to talk, lovely in fact and bigged up Scottish winter climbing. I saw her solo some v steep grade 6 waterfall the next day - scary.
Thrudge on 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave:

The Mali clip is truly gob-smacking climbing. For me, it also stands out because of the wonderful fluid jazz trumpet accompaniment from the chap on the ground.
Thrudge on 06 Nov 2017
In reply to Deadeye:
> Yeah yeah.

Don't be so cynical. Perhaps Trangia was using the word talent in it's subtler and more 'physically appreciative' form ;-)
Big Ger - on 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave:

I once asked her to marry me.

She was doing a talk, and asked for audience questions.

She was very polite in turning me down.
wercat on 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave:

After her film was shown at Kendal I pulled her leg about her expedition to Olympus Mons with Brian Blessed - great big smile - she seemed tickled that anyone remembered it!
bonebag - on 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave:

Saw her at the CIC on her way down from the Ben last February. Think she might have been at the Fort William Film Festival.
climber34neil - on 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Mal Grey:

That brought back some memories!!
Rob Exile Ward on 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Anyone remember Isobelle Patissier? There's no question she competed with Catherine's on the attractive clothing front...
John W on 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Oh yes...oh yes...YES!!!

JW
Andrew Wilson - on 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Mal Grey:

Brilliant!
blackcat on 07 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave: Surprised no ones mention her film beyond the summits, awesome,the most gracefully strong lady climber ever imo.

wercat on 07 Nov 2017
In reply to blackcat:

that was the film I was referring to but sadly had forgotten the name
climber34neil - on 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Certainly do! She walked in front of me at the lead finals in Birmingham ( about 1990/91 ) , it's a vision that has stayed with me ever since
davidalcock - on 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Thrudge:

> The Mali clip is truly gob-smacking climbing. For me, it also stands out because of the wonderful fluid jazz trumpet accompaniment from the chap on the ground.

I've had that as my ringtone for years!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.