/ Bike freehub swaparounds

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Siward on 08 Nov 2017
So, (I hate people who start sentences with 'so') I have an 11 speed Campy bike and also an 8 speed Shimano bike.

If I were to acquire some new (but used) 11 speed Shimano wheels I think I should be able to convert them to Campy by swapping the freehub over from my current 11 speed wheels. That sounds a bit too easy though so I'd be grateful for confirmation.

If I managed that swap I'd be left with some wheels (Fulcrum 5s) without a freehub. Would I be able to take the freehub off my old Shimano 8 speed wheels and put it on the Fulcrums to use them on the 8 speed?

It should be possible unless freehub specs have changed over the years.

Thanks in advance...
nniff - on 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Siward:

I'm never too sure what the differences are beyond Campag and Shimano splines not being compatible. The gotcha is the number of spokes on your new rims and old hub and whether the spoke design would be compatible at both ends. You'll have to buy a new set of spokes unless you're lucky, have the patience of a cathedrral full of saints and know what you're doing (in which case you'd probably buy some new spokes)
Stuart (aka brt) - on 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Siward:
Campy 11 speed and Shimano 11 speed can work together. Lots of accounts on the 'net and I've seen Campy 11 speed shifters play very happily with Shimano chainrings and cassette. If your new (used) wheels come with an 11 speed cassette give it a try, nothing to lose (plus Shimano cassettes are so much cheaper than Campy).

You will only be able to swap the freehub you have already, onto your new (used) wheels if they are the same wheels, as freehubs are usually specific to a brand/type .

Not sure where nniff is going with the spoke thing. Perhaps a confusion between hub and freehub?
Post edited at 09:48
Bogwalloper - on 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Siward:

You should be ok swapping and changing the free-hubs between the Campag wheels and the Fulcrum wheels. Definitely not the Shimano wheels though.

W
nniff - on 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

> Not sure where nniff is going with the spoke thing. Perhaps a confusion between hub and freehub?

Pretty much - on the basis of not being able to swap parts out of a hub unless the hubs are the same - or you have Fulcrum and Campag wheels and get lucky (or know for certain that they are the same inside).
Siward on 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Bogwalloper:
Thanks all. I was living in this perfect world where all freehubs fitted all wheels interchangeably, assuming some sort of standard. How naive

So the upshot is that the campy freehub from the fulcrums wont fit onto another brand of wheel (mavic as it happens) that is currently set up with a shimano freehub?

BUT- I could buy a campy freehub made specifically for mavic wheels?
Post edited at 12:09
richlan - on 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Siward:

Free hubs from Fulcrums are Fulcrum specific. I know this as a new one for a pair of mine cost me £90

You will be able to get a campag freehub for Mavic wheels but i think the dishing may be different from 8 to 11 speed.
Stuart (aka brt) - on 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Siward:

> Thanks all. I was living in this perfect world where all freehubs fitted all wheels interchangeably, assuming some sort of standard. How naive

That would be lovely wouldn't it!

> So the upshot is that the campy freehub from the fulcrums wont fit onto another brand of wheel (mavic as it happens) that is currently set up with a shimano freehub?

99.9% certain they won't. I'd seriously suggest throwing on an 11 speed Shimano cassette on your new Mavics, to do a quick transmission check. Saves swapping out what might be a perfectly good freehub (less spend). Plus the whole Shampagnolo thing is quite cool (because that definitely matters, right!).

> BUT- I could buy a campy freehub made specifically for mavic wheels?

Definitely. Very common.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.