UKC

When is the best time for Scottish winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 asteclaru 08 Nov 2017
I'm going to do some winter mountaineering courses, most likely at Glenmore Lodge up in Scotland (I'm thinking the 5 day Winter Skills followed by either the Advanced Winter Skills or Winter Mountaineering).

What time of year is it most likely for there to be snow? Last year I went on a 'Winter' ascent of Ben Nevis in the middle of December and there was not a single patch of snow. If I'm taking two weeks off work to go learn winter skills I want to make sure that I go at the right time.

Thanks in advance
In reply to asteclaru:

The week after or before your course is booked ?

Phil1919 08 Nov 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Scottish winters are likely to be even more fickle what with the climate changing. February/March? Longer days in March make it more pleasant, but still no guarantee of good winter conditions.
 Billhook 09 Nov 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

I would have thought it in Glenmore Lodge's own interests to make sure that their winter courses occur when there is a good chance of winter conditions. I think I'd be correct in stating that if you booked and they were unable to run the course you'd get your money back. Personally I'd go for a course in February or March.
 abr1966 09 Nov 2017
In reply to asteclaru:
After 35 seasons of Scottish winter climbing I always book the 3rd or 4th week in February for Glencoe/Lochaber......up north its very fickle on the west coast so I tend to go to book mid March.....Cairngorms late January onwards and any time up to end of March. Always a lottery these days though.....good luck!
Post edited at 19:16
Removed User 09 Nov 2017
In reply to abr1966:

I would have said first two weeks of February, but yes, I'd say February is probably the July of winter.
OP asteclaru 09 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

One can only hope but I'd be really surprised if they didn't have some sort of 'we can't control the weather' disclaimer somewhere on their website, which is fair enough I suppose, they are a business after all
OP asteclaru 09 Nov 2017
In reply to abr1966:

Exactly the sort of answer I was looking for; thank you.
 Billhook 13 Nov 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Under contract law you cannot normally dictate an unfair contractual condition. Stating that if the weather is unsuitable the course may be cancelled, is of course totally reasonable (and thus, fair). But stating that you'll give no refunds is unfair, and unreasonable. Thus it is an unfair contractual condition and cannot be enforced.
In reply to Removed User:

> I'd say February is probably the July of winter.

You mean it rains a lot and England lose a test match or two? You're probably right...

T.
 Rog Wilko 14 Nov 2017
In reply to asteclaru:

Didn't someone once say something along the lines of the Scottish winter is long, starting on August 1 and ending on July 31
 Larefia 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

If either of you took the time to read their terms and conditions rather than speculating on here you might be better appraised to comment?

Their terms are set out in their brochure and seem perfectly reasonable to me.
 Billhook 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Larefia:
That is a matter of opinion.

Having just tread their terms and conditions, I notice that they do assert the right to cancel a course and offer an alternative where possible. They also have the catch all phrase at the end which is that, "the foregoing terms and conditions will not affect any clients statutory rights.

Which I'd guess covers what I said in my previous post.
Post edited at 19:14
OP asteclaru 14 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

I stand corrected

I've emailed them asking what happens to a winter course if there is no snow

This is the response I've got :

'In the worst case scenario and there were no suitable conditions, we would cancel the course and offer you a full refund or to transfer you on to an alternate date or course, whichever you preferred'

I think that's as fair as it gets so have booked the last week of February and the first week of March with them. Can't wait now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...